Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: TKR ... Day5 post-op  (Read 5615 times)

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
TKR ... Day5 post-op
« on: July 20, 2003, 04:26:51 AM »
Hi Everybody,

I think some of you knew I was on my way home before my kids did yesterday--what wonderful support and friendship.  I cannot say how overwhelmed I have been with all you have done.

My tkr went as scheduled on Monday the 14th--into the OR at 7:30.   My anesthesiologist bothered me a bit--the last couple I have had were outstanding and so this guy was ok--maybe, had a hard act or two to follow.  It is important to never ever  underestimate the importance of that role.

He went on and on explaining to me all of the possibilities and then wanted me to tell him which one  I wanted.  Duh, I didn't know all opf these so I tossed it back to jhim and he went with the epidural.  (Hindsight note--bad choice...)  It was an awful position for me, given how sore my back has been and it never felt quite right--but I'm a moron and didn't ask a ? because I didn't want to second guess anyone.

My os said my surgery went well--but he didn't get to do the straightforward replacement as with my left knee because of pcl damage.  I have different knees in the left and the right because that right one had to include some pcl as well.  When I went from recovery to the room--oh my pain became unbearable.  The nurses and doc increased the med in the epidural until they maxed it out--still no relief.  I've only felt that kind oif out of control rampant all over pain before, after my gall bladder surgery when the drain backed up.  I was crying and rocking and slappin my head--(I know) and it went on for hours.  Finally on Tuesday morning, I got somebody to pay attention to the factt hat my back was really sore and was feeling poked when they checked and found the epidural cath lying on the sponge but not in my back.  That earned me a morphine pump and that was the beginning to some pain relief.

More to come--Sylvia

« Last Edit: August 03, 2003, 03:40:59 AM by admin »
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
Re: Post-op TKR...Day5
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2003, 04:42:13 AM »
Anyway, on the road to some relief--took a couple jhours of maximum morphine to get things at a amangeable level, I got to start pt--scary but good :)

At that point in time, I noticed the wraps on my surgical knee getting tighter and tighter.  There had been overflow and spillage from the drain, and it was yucky enough, but tight and squeezing.  I couldn't get anybody to do anything until a repeat of therapy the next day--anbd she whipped out her scissors and removed the bandage.  The dried blood had formed a kind of concrete stuff with the inner cotton and gauze.  That hadformed two gigantic blisters on the knee--one on the side at the bend about the size of a small apricot and the ohter, long and thin, across the entire bend in the back of my knee.  Those were awful to look at and feel--and I'm a bit nervous about them as I type.

Anyway, I have pushed on and went from that first walk of about 20 feet to a 600 foot walk and stairclimbing--after exercises three times yesterday.  My pt told me that I should grab any opportunity to get home that might be offered--and I did.

My first night home was rough, as has been today--but it is understandable that this will have a few very unglamorous moments.  I am focuising on my goal of walking unassisted without ortho junk.  I shall succeed and that will be so wonderful.

Hugs, Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline Maz

• Regular Poster
  • Knee pain, Knee schmain
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2003, 04:53:38 AM »
Sylvia,

We've not had the pleasure of meeting before, but I thought I would just drop you a line, and tell you that you're doing amazingly and I know there are lots of people on here that are rooting for you! I've never seen such a rush of wellwishers, and I count myself among them. Stick with it... the first few days after getting home are always tough (as you well know), but you sound like you're doing great.

LOL
Maz :-*
Mazzy
LH Tib Plat Fx June 02 w/ 9 screws, plate and syn graft. Meniscus rep + shard removal Jul 02. 9 wks NWB. Cane-Jan03. Flex/ext OK. strength OK. H/W removal Aug 03

RH ACL recon Jan 94 now OK

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2003, 05:01:35 AM »
Glad top  meet you Maz....

I've been so blessed with the outpouring from everyone on this board.  It makes me a bit teary-eyed thinking of it.  There are so many here in so many levels of grief and pain--and they have went out to worry about me and pray for me, and call and ask and keep in touch.  That is a strong testament to the kind of caring loving folks who are here.  Even though it would be totally justafiable for them to get lkost within their own issues--they always have a hug, an encouraging word, a gift of one kind or another for somebody else.

I knoiw I'm proud to be a part of this community and I'm glad you have joined us.  Thanks for your encouragement as well!

Hugs, Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2003, 07:01:52 AM »
Sylvia:

I am so glad you were able to have your TKR. I know it's been a long time coming. Sounds like things were pretty rough, even more than usual for a TKR. But you have been through so much already and have been so strong. I'm sure you'll do well with this. Hope your recovery is quick, uneventful, and soon you are walking without pain!!

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2003, 09:57:42 AM »
Hi Janet and thank for your warm wishess...

I forgot to add in a  couple of minor disturbances--On Thursday, my iron was 8.1 and hematocrit was 23, On Friday, they were up to 8.3 and 24 respectively.  That is after I had both transfusions of the blood I donated--so I'm working on healthy eating and lots of iron supplements.

The other issue is a low grade temp which doesn't seem to have an accompanying reason for messing around--there are times it is at a normal number aand it travels between there and up to 101 degrees.  that kept me in everyone's data book at the hospital.  I feel it when that temp goes up--physically by being warm and then tired and sad.

These are the things I'm playing with, trying to manage on the side.  Again, I think they will resolve--but it is enuff to drive me a bit crazy.  Sylvia  
Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline lam651

• Forum Faithful
  • Someday
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2003, 06:34:36 PM »
Sylvia I'm sorry that things got as bad as they did at the hospital. I've had similar experiences with hospital personnal that boiled down to not caring enough to do a thorough job. There is simply no excuse for them to not find the reason you weren't getting pain relief sooner. I know that people in the medical professon say they can't afford to get too close to patients, but what happened to you was caused by laziness and not caring.

Beyond that I hope your recovery at home goes well. When I returned from the hospital after my latest surgery in Mar., I also had alot of low grade temps and also felt sad and depressed. I think the anesthetic caused my sadness and depression. It may be the reason for the low grade temps too.

Things will dramatically improve for you in the near future as you recover and the effects of the surgery wear off.

I would like to wish you a speedy recovery. Take care, Larry
arthoscopy('99),HTO(tibia didn't heal 10/01),knee braces(7/02),HTO w/ex.fix. to repair tibial non-union(3/03), remove ex. fix.(9/03),HTO other leg(12/03)

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2003, 08:28:30 PM »
Hi Larry,

Thank you for saying what has been nagging me in the back of my mind...I'm going to do a post on a different board about my roommate and what got me to push them to send me home on Friday evening...Interesting stuff.  I do now firmly believe that I will request no epidurals and certainly NOT that same anesthesiologist, if I ever have another procedure....

I also think there is a point in a hospital stay where the hospital becomes a major detriment to well-being and healing.  When that moment comes, it is time to pack up and get out--lol.

Good luck to you and take care, Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline mj/usa

• Forum Faithful
  • glad to have my knee back again
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2003, 12:34:15 PM »
Sylvia---

I am glad to read that the TKR went well and that you are on the road to recovery.  Your experience witht he epidural is almost exactly the same as mine was.   After the operation, my knee didn't hurt much in comparison with my back and I was using the pain pump for that reason.  The next day, the catheter was removed and the nurse and my os told me that often the back goes into spasms with an epidural (no one said anything about that beforehand!!!!) Anyway as soon as it was out, my back finally calmed down and I could go home.
Another thing:  I had quite a few head-aches afterwards and again was told that  this can happen after an epidural.  I hope I won't need another knee op ever again, but if I do, I won't chose the epidural route!
all the best for your continued excellent recovery--

Mary Jane
plica excision 05/01,  followed by OATS 09/02

Offline Lizzie - UK

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Fibromyalgia diagnosed Dec 2003 - OA in both knees
    • E30 Zone
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2003, 02:16:15 AM »
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Sylvia}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

How are things now.  I am sooooo sorry that the epidural was really painful and didn't work.  You must have been going out of your head with pain.  You poor darling.

I hope that you are now on the way to a healthy and speedy recovery.  Just make sure that you take things at your own pace. Forget about what your OS and PT have to say, as long as you know that you are doing your exercises, that is all that matters.

I hope that your family are helping you - they should be, as from what you tell us about your family, it is full of love and support.

I want to add my fullest support and much love to you.
Keep us informed as to how you are going.

Lots of love, hugs, kisses and healthy and positive vibes.  How is the arm dong?
Lizzie xxx  :-* :-* :-*
Past History of L&R Knee
Bilateral OA
Medial Meniscal Tears
Lateral Releases & Medial Reefings
Ruptured LCL, MCL & PCL
Adhesions in the interconylar notch of ACL removed
Suprapatella plication
Debridements/Lavages
Deep chondral fissure in crest of patella
Awaiting MRI - LK
TKR - RK