Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Walking Stick Woes  (Read 1153 times)

Offline glasgowgirl

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Walking Stick Woes
« on: January 14, 2008, 08:32:03 PM »
Just wondering what anyone else thinks about this...

I've been on crutches since the end of November when the metal work was removed following High Tibial Osteotomy back in May.

Today I saw my orthopaedic surgeon who was like, everything's looking fine, give me your crutches! You can have a walking stick! I know this is good, but it feels awful! The stick feels like it wobbles all over the place when I walk and I am almost scared of falling over.

Anyone else done this successfully? I could really do with your encouragement!

Offline DeborahinNC

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Walking Stick Woes
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 11:58:39 PM »
Hi there,

I went straight from a walker to a cane after my PKR.  Make sure the cane is at the right height for you.  Too tall or too short and it won't be comfortable.  A cane with a good grip also helps make your hand more comfortable.  If you need help sizing the cane you can go on line and look at what they suggest.  I had mine too tall and my arm was bent in funny way.  You are using it on your good side right?  I didn't know that part either.  In my head it made sense to use it on the hurt side but not so. 

It will just take a little getting used to but I'm sure if you managed crutches (never can do those) you will get this too and pretty soon it will feel normal.  I teach adults and it became a joke that I would hit anyone who slept in class with my cane.  When I quit using it I still brought it into class as my threat.  See they have many uses!!

Good luck, be careful while getting used to it.

Be well,
Deborah

Offline glasgowgirl

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 11:54:58 AM »
Thanks for that.

I saw my physios today and have now got a stick that is about 4 inches taller than yesterdays! It does feel better but I still hate it - feel like an old old lady with it. It's not going to do my street cred any good! Hopefully it's not for long though.

Offline fitnesskitty

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • "Nothing in this world worth having comes easy..."
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 09:05:52 PM »
LOL, street cred, you are funny! ;D  Here's the thing that I think makes a cane feel more stable.  Get what is called an offset cane.  See the link below.  The handle is curved in such a way that your hand is centered over the foot of the cane, making it feel more stable and safe.  You can usually snag them cheap on eBay even.  Just make sure you get an adjustable one.  I had a quad cane (has a base with four little feet) with an offset handle and that was pretty good, but I felt unsure and practiced around the house with it first, but before I was adjusted to it, I had a Christmas party to go to and no way was a lugging my crutch around with me to that, so I just went for it with my cane, and did okay, and it was more and more natural as time went on.  Then I ditched the can a few weeks ago when I finally felt safe enough walking.  I still keep the cane in the car for walking on ice and snow though as I have an intense fear of falling.  You will adjust over time.  I went from two crutches, to one crutch, to a cane, then to unassisted.  I walk slower than most people, but speed comes with time.  I occasionally will take my can on the stores with me as I feel more confident with it and walk fast than without it.  Plus, people will give you more personal space if you are walking with a cane! ;D

I do not know where you live but if you are in the US, this one is at Target for $12.99 US.  Pretty cheap!

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/601-0359510-1786544?ASIN=B0007YX1Y6&AFID=Froogle&LNM=B0007YX1Y6|Medline_Offset_Handle_Black_Cane&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=B0007YX1Y6&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001

Take care and best of luck!

Sarah
Aug 17 07 Injured
Aug 23 07 Open surgeryOct 18 07 No progress made at PT for awhile - stuck 52/53 degrees
Oct 23 07 Saw OS, wants second opinion from partner-ROM stuck 30-35
Nov 1, LR, LOA, MUA
PT 2X/week now, was 3X
Jan 8: ROM 134
Rest In Peace, Lucky!  I love and miss you so much!!!!!!!!

Offline fitnesskitty

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 09:07:46 PM »
That link will have to be copied and pasted into your browser as the whole thing did not turn into an active link, but in case that one doesn't work for you, here is another one. ;D

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&upc=8019674854&pid=_Froogle
Aug 17 07 Injured
Aug 23 07 Open surgeryOct 18 07 No progress made at PT for awhile - stuck 52/53 degrees
Nov 1, LR, LOA, MUA
PT 2X/week now, was 3X

Offline SofaGeorge

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 09:33:44 PM »
I had the same problem as you... I got a cane and I HATED how the cane felt... then... by fluke I tried a trekking pole.  I've always been an avid hiker... and trekking poles were a great add crossing stream beds and on rocky trails... so I tried using a trekking pole instead of a cane and it was SO much better for me.  Also, good trekking poles are a LOT cheaper than good canes.

The difference really is that trekking poles can be longer and let you hold them with a forward grip.  Canes/trekking poles aren't intended to be a crutch... they are for balance... and I really think trekking poles work better for how my brain works when I need to balance.

Offline fitnesskitty

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 11:07:04 PM »
I got my can for less the $20 US from eBay.  SofaGeorge has a point...canes are more for balance than for support.
Aug 17 07 Injured
Nov 1, LR, LOA, MUA
PT 2X/week now, was 3X

support