Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Can entry hole scar tissue cause problems?  (Read 2618 times)

Offline Aff

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Can entry hole scar tissue cause problems?
« on: January 16, 2008, 09:32:20 AM »
after my athroscopy to two knees, one entry hole was hurting alot more than the other.

this is still apparent when flexing this knee right back after 6 weeks now.  but in general it's ok and i'm continuing physio as usual.

the OS said to massage the area to break down any scar tissue that may be there.

last night though i felt an almost giving way sensation during physio and it was right over this area.  tbh it's always felt like it was a little weak.

but it's only an entry hole with possible scar tissue.  would this cause problems?

Offline Army John

• Regular Poster
Re: Can entry hole scar tissue cause problems?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 02:11:33 PM »
Aff-

It doesn't sound likely the scar tissue from that incision site is the culprit.  I assume you had the standard portal hole incision?  I have had three scopes and they have used the same incision sites every time, which would mean an even greater scar tissue build up.

I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on tv, but you may have some nerve endings growing back. 
L knee meniscal repair- 6/89
L knee scope- 11/95
L knee ACL reconstruction- 2/96
L knee scope (included a lateral release, cartilage biopsy, and the ever fun bone shaving)- 1/08
L knee ACI/TTO- 4/08
L knee scope/manipulation- 7/08

Offline Aff

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 03:49:18 PM »
aha, nerve endings!!  thanks army john, i'm always interested in new bits and pieces of knee knowledge :)

not sure why this is causing me problems though, although i did try a little jog the other day which made the knee hurt.  a little too much too soon i reckon.

but the pain was directly over the incision and i could actually rub the nodule underneath (scar tissue?) and it's exactly where it was sore.  hmmm, have to see how things develop.

Offline Army John

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 04:27:19 AM »
Aff-

Don't quote me on the nerve endings  ;D.  But I did experience some similar problems after my ACL reconstruction and my growing nerves were deemed the culprit by the medical types. 

If it's scar tissue, the increased physical activity would likely break it up at some point.  I typically find scar tissue pain to be more in the hot, burning sensation category but it's also very brief when it comes about.
L knee meniscal repair- 6/89
L knee scope- 11/95
L knee ACL reconstruction- 2/96
L knee scope (included a lateral release, cartilage biopsy, and the ever fun bone shaving)- 1/08
L knee ACI/TTO- 4/08
L knee scope/manipulation- 7/08

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 05:51:43 AM »
You can have pain under portals for a long time. Massage the portals and that will become better by time.
If the knee get hot or swollen cut back on the activities and ice.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline kathat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Aussie, Aussie, Aussie
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 06:28:15 AM »
Hi Aff,

I had problems with scar tissue under my incision sites. One even caused irritation of something, which resulted in shooting pain down the front of my leg. Ouch!! I massaged them religiously and it really helped. The scar tissue can sometimes crack with movement, which is not very comfortable (rather painful actually!), which may be what happened to you. Keep up the massage and the scar tissue will break up soon enough.

Kathy

Offline Aff

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 09:34:13 AM »
thanks all.  kathat, i get a sort of click rubbing over it and it's like a little solid lump.  i'll keep rubbing :)

i wonder if it will cause an issue with the knee though?  i have had a momentary shooting pain too as well as a slight 'giving way' soreness and it always seems to be originating from that area.

last night however that knee clicked (into place? as i was practicing my alignment) and it felt sort of better.  but it was the same clicky noise i can make if i rub the incision hole area. hmmm....

Offline kathat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Aussie, Aussie, Aussie
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 10:59:51 AM »
Yeah, mine felt the same (with the clicking/crunchy sort of feeling/noise), and it was quite uncomfortable at times to massage. Maybe the clicking last night was unrelated, or maybe some scar tissue broke loose and freed up the knee movement so it felt better. Mine hurt when it tore, but it was quite a big lump and it was from my LR site, not my incision sites (I had extra scar tissue to massage!). Scar tissue can interfere with knee function, which is why we have to massage it to break it up. Happy massaging!

Kathy

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 01:26:41 PM »
Aff, your knee can still have effects after surgery and could take a while before joint is back to normal.
Don't be afraid of massaging the portals as this is outside the joint.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.