Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Farrah's Right Fulkerson TTT 1/8/08, now RSD/CRPS...Left Fulkerson 11/16/10  (Read 515521 times)

Offline smkelly4kds

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Longing for a new knees!
    • Melissa's Blog
Re: Farrah's Fulkerson Osteotomy Jan 8
« Reply #645 on: April 16, 2008, 07:05:46 PM »
Farah have you thought about calling the PT and letting her know that you are unable to walk again?  You may have done waytoo much yesterday in PT.  So sorry you are in so much pain.  I just can't figure out how you are still weak mucled after this amount of time. Something just doesnt seem right to me.
  I am frustrated for you!  At least I know most of my pain is arthritis.  You really should think about a second opinion.  seriously no doc is super or imperfect.  There may be problem with what he did or didnt do and just doesnt want to face it. 
  Sorry thinking out loud.  Just want you to get better is all!

Melissa ::)
Aug 2007 - dislocation Rt knee-PT no improvement
Jan 08 TTT (Fulkerson)  Rt knee
Scope 6/08 LT Knee- debridgement medial femoral condyle w/stedman picking, part. lateral menisectomy
July 22 started 1st round of synvisc heading for 5 total....so far working!
Still having pain w/TTT knee pain

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #646 on: April 16, 2008, 07:22:51 PM »
Thanks Melissa, I go see my OS tomorrow.  We'll figure it out.  I am not having a lot of pain just sitting here at work, but the second I try to move or walk, sucks!  It's still not as bad as it was, but I am definitely limping.  :(
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #647 on: April 17, 2008, 01:29:18 PM »
OS apt changed to 1pm today instead of 4pm.
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #648 on: April 17, 2008, 01:58:16 PM »
Good - less time to worry about it. Let us know how you get on today with him and BE STRONG!!!!!!!!!
xxx
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline Sore knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #649 on: April 17, 2008, 02:10:41 PM »
Good luck, thinking of you and hope all goes well.
11/5/07 LR right knee and cartilage tidied up
6/8/07 Knee aspiration, steroid injection- more physio
22/8/07 Knee to be scoped for answers
16/5/08 Patella stabilisation for  subluxations
24/6/08 Infection -hospitalised for a week. Debridement surgery
21/11/08 Repeat patella stabilisation performed

dileigh

« Reply #650 on: April 17, 2008, 05:13:38 PM »
Good luck!

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #651 on: April 17, 2008, 08:29:18 PM »
Ahhhhhhhh!!!  Crazy appointment!!!  Got x-rays......there is so much to say!  I will try to make it short and sweet.  So I was newly informed of a bunch of things today.  I have patella alta for one.  Before surgery, I had grade III chondramalacia caused by patella subluxation.  My cartilage is worn 1mm from the bone. We compared today's x-rays to Pre Op x-rays, and my patella is still tilted, but is in the correct place now.  I still have lots of obvious muscle weakness that he thinks is causing the tilt. He said that most of my pain is coming from my cartilage issues.   He wants me to wear the patella strap to see how that helps with the walking pain and pain from everything else.  He said if I still have problems in 1 month, we are going to try Euflexxa injections to help smooth out the damaged areas and allow things to glide smoothly.  He said no other surgery could help, except a TKR, but I am too young for that. Soooooooo PT visits once a week and a good home program for the other days, wear the strap, continue to take it very easy, and the big one here.......... use a CANE!!!!!!!!  I flipped out with that one!   He gave it to me, taught me how to use it, and said it will help with my other knee. UGH!  So I gave in!  :(  :( :( He wants me back in 4 weeks. When I went to make my follow up apts, there were none until the beginning of July!  So the lady made me one for 4 weeks!!  I can't imagine how long til a new patient apt is available! So that's that!

UGH!

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline GemmaLeigh

• Forum Faithful
  • suffering with my knee for 8 years. i'm only 20!!!
    • RoboLove Clothing
« Reply #652 on: April 17, 2008, 09:08:45 PM »
Oh Farrah I am SOOO sorry. That really sucks. Don't worry too much about the cane. Just remember that you're not the only person in the world with one AND it's going to stop you doing more damage. I hope that the strap helps a bit... are you carrying on with the shots?

Gemma

xx
1995 - first trip to the doctor with 'growing pains'
1998 - xrays show left patella is out of place
1999 - first dislocation
1999-2006 - Physio therapy every week
Jan2007 - Traumatic dislocation
feb 2007 - OS suggests surgery
Jan 2008 - date for surgery 30th jan

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #653 on: April 17, 2008, 09:15:10 PM »
Hi Farrah,
well the good news is this - my cartilage on the back of my kneecap is also worn down to 1mm and ive got bone spurs on the sides of it BUT Ive no pain - so you will not necessarily have pain from that if you get the muscles strong. I have attached my skyline x-ray to show this to you.

Getting the muscles strong will help A LOT!!!!

Dont worry about the cane - you can be Funky Farrah with her cane :)

Let me know how you go with the patella strap - thats interesting.

It sounds like he took a lot of interest - you will be surprised how much pain goes with strong muscles too.
xxx
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline smkelly4kds

• Forum Faithful
  • Longing for a new knees!
    • Melissa's Blog
« Reply #654 on: April 17, 2008, 10:57:14 PM »
Well gosh Farrah!  It's about time they told you EVERY THING!  I mean here you have been asking for explainations and all you were getting was that it is just due to weak muscles.  I would think they would have known for a while about the cartiledge deteriation.  I am so glad you finally know exactly what the problems are.  Did he give you a reason as to why the cartilege is down that low?? I mean is it due to arthritis or something else?
   I am anxious about getting the results of my MRI.  I am giving them till Monday and will call about it.  Last time though the OS wanted to wait till I came in to discuss it so that may be the case again this time.  But I will call on Monday to find out.   I went cain free today but not down the steps to go to the post office.  I will keep using the cain for a while.  Hey I got a nice blue one at wal mart for $15.98 its a alot nicer looking than those nasty silver ones...
   I am glad I have the cain instead of the crutches.  Although this afternoon I feel like I could use the crutches instead cause of my other knee.  Looking forward to hearing how you are doing later today.

Glad you got some true answers....hope you start improving soon!
Melissa 
Aug 2007 - dislocation Rt knee-PT no improvement
Jan 08 TTT (Fulkerson)  Rt knee
Scope 6/08 LT Knee- debridgement medial femoral condyle w/stedman picking, part. lateral menisectomy
July 22 started 1st round of synvisc heading for 5 total....so far working!
Still having pain w/TTT knee pain

dileigh

« Reply #655 on: April 18, 2008, 12:33:28 AM »
Farrah, is your cartilage wear in patches, or is it an even 1mm across?   If it's in patches, you could possibly qualify for the same surgery I just had.    Mine was shaped more like a groove because the patella was rubbing in the wrong place. 

Now would be a good time for a second opinion, especially one that is a carticel approved surgeon.  You can find them at carticel.com.  I wish you luck in the next month on strengthening your muscles.  What did he say about the pain from driving?

Diana

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #656 on: April 18, 2008, 02:09:19 AM »
Hello Everyone, so I was walking so well a few days ago and now I can't hardly walk at all!!  My new cane helps though, but it looks horrible!  It is NOT a fashion statement!  We spent about an hour at my office making fun of it today!!  One girl that is kind of snobby anyway said she'd rather take disability than come to work with a cane!!  It really doesn't suit me!  It feels so much better with walking though!  It also helps my other knee a lot too..especially with stairs!  I have come to the conclusion that the cortisone is not helping much anymore.  I have also realized that the vicodin doesn't help this sharp pain anymore.  So I will just deal with it.  My OS told me to keep myself as comfortable as possible....in other words don't do much!  So I will not. 

Gemma, I need to go to PT for a month before starting the shots.  The idea is that strengthening will help the pain and I will not need them!  I hope that's the case!

Tanya, just call me "Old Lady Farrah."  I wore the patella strap for the rest of the day today and it didn't really help much.  So I will try it again tomorrow and see how it works again.  It bothers my numbness and pushes on parts that are sensitive.  So it isn't very comfortable to wear.  Here is the website to see what it looks like if you are curious....

http://www.braceint.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=braceint&Product_Code=flk&Category_Code=

Melissa, I am glad they finally told me everything!  I am glad my PT was cancelled today, otherwise, they wouldn't have had easy access to my chart and all my x-rays.  When I have PT at the same time as OS, the OS comes into the PT clinic and talks and examines me without being in the exam room.  So there isn't easy access to all my info and x-rays.  THe chondramalacia (cartilage damage) was caused by my patella subluxation...my patella rubbed bone on bone all the time causing the wear.  My cane is boring...plane black with a comfortable handle.  I am attaching a picture of it if you are interested in see what it looks like. 

Diana, I don't know if the wear is in patches or not.  My doctor is an ACI doctor.  He has been doing it for years and years.  He has actually participated in many studies with it and has developed his own methods with it.  It is one of his signature surgeries.  My patella was rubbing wrong too!  My OS did mention the ACI before my Fulkerson, but realized since the wear wasn't all the way to the bone, then I am not a good candidate.  So now it isn't an option.  I am hoping to get my other knee fixed before the damage gets bad enough to need that surgery too.  I  never want to need that one b/c it takes so long to recover!  For my driving pain, the patella strap was hopefully going to help with that, but it hasn't!  So I will be just working hard on strengthening over the next month! 

Thanks everyone for the responses!  I really love this website.  It has helped me so much.  I am also thrilled to finally understand my problems! 

Farrah

« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 02:11:35 AM by arkitect06 »
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #657 on: April 18, 2008, 09:01:38 AM »
Hi Old Lady Farrah,
well - if the cane helps you walk better then so what if its less than fashionable! I dont think my lurching wobbly walk while constantly trying not to slip out of joint is too attractive either :)
I have seen patella straps like that - never tried one though.
My cartilage damage is even - its a direct result of my TTT - mine was a Hauser which has been abandoned now due to the wear it causes - but theres a good chance the bulk of that wear happened in the first 5 years after the surgery - so perhaps thats why it doesnt hurt me now? I am definitely down to bone at the edges - cos Ive grown bone spurs.
Tell me more about ACI? How come it isnt an option now? Does the fulkerson excluse it as a future surgery?
When I was in the height of pain my PT kept saying - push through for 3 weeks, just deal with it - so I did and I have to admit - it started to recede after around 3 weeks, then it got better again, then it was gone. Now I only have pain after an out of joint experience but even that isnt sharp - its just general achiness from inflammation.
See about e-stim as well Farrah - cos that helps the muscles without any weight bearing, or pain afterwards.
xxx

Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #658 on: April 18, 2008, 10:01:54 AM »
Good morning all.  I have been up since about 4am laying in bed.  So I decided just to wake up and wait around for 5:15am to get in the shower and go to work.  I have to be at work around 6:30am or 7am to make up time from leaving work for my OS apt yesterday.  So it is a good day not to be able to sleep late.  My knee hurt so much with very slight movements last night and still can't walk this morning.  I am almost considering taking some vicodin today....don't want to at all, but maybe it will help me today!  I will stick it out until it drives me crazy, then I will take it....so maybe I will not need it.  THis entire experience has been a very very difficult one.  I never thought it would take this long!!!  They said 3 months to get back into sports.  I am at 3.5 months and not even close!  I am sad about it..very sad.  My current tennis season is ending in two weekends and my next one starts in June.  My next OS apt is May 16th which is only 2 weeks before the next season starts.  I really hope that I get some progress between now and then.  May 16th is also only 1.5 months before my 10k race!  I was suppose to start training for it next weekend!  UGH!  It also looks like I will not be able to paricipate in my May 17th softball tournament for my office.  I seriously thought that was a no brainer that I'd be ready by then.  I have also come to the realization that I will not be able to walk my 6 mile March of Dime walk next weekend!  I hope I make progress over the next 4 weeks!!!  I can't handle the stress of this anymore.  It is killing me.  I still have a much better attitude than I did before the injection.  At gymnastics, I am laughing and messing around a lot more than I had been being in so much pain before.  Very funny story that happened when I got to gymnastics last night!!!  I am already soooooo embarassed with this cane thing.  So being around all the athletic healthy gymnasts and all the healthy coaches, I so didn't want to walk in there using a cane!  So I grabbed the cane from my car, grabbed my gym bag, and limped inside while carrying the cane.  After I changed my clothes, I put my bag in the coach's room, and carried my cane out onto the gym floor with a huge limp.  It was soooooo funny.  One of the older gymnasts laughed at me so hard b/c I was carrying the cane in my left hand while limping with my right leg!!!!  She later immitated me and I was crying laughing!!  Later I sucked it up and started using it b/c it helps so much.  Sorry to go on and on, my mind is just all over the place right now!

Tanya, the reason I am not a candidate for the ACI could be a number of things.  Based on the research I did months ago, the ACI is used for people with cartilage wear of a certain size patch all the way down to the bone.  Even If you have wear all over the place all the way to the bone, the ACI is not good for that.  It has to be a small patch of wear all the way down.  So mine isn't all the way to the bone and I don't know if it is one single patch or all over the place.  I forgot to ask that yesterday.  He showed me all my surgery images finally and pointed out how horrible the cartilage damage was.  It looked a lot worse than my first surgery years ago.  He also showed me how my knee slipped out of place during flexing in surgery.  It was so weird.  It was touching bone one bone, then it was starting to move outside the groove, then it was completely out of the groove.  I also saw how shallow it is.  There is hardly any curved part at all in the groove.  So I am sure having the Patella alta and the shallow groove caused all the subluxations.  All of that caused the cartilage to wear.  So all this is also happening on my left knee right now.  I am so afraid that if I wait too long to fix it, then the cartilage damage could wear down to the bone in that knee.  I hope to goodness not b/c I seriously would not have time for recovering from that ACI surgery if needed!  I am also afraid that it could wear too much to ever get fixed like my right knee.  At least now the right knee cap is no longer rubbing to cause more damage!  So that's good.  I am sure that is more than you wanted to read about! :)  I just love that I understand it all now! 

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #659 on: April 18, 2008, 11:09:01 AM »
Hi farrah,
thats a great explanation you left for me on my diary of ACI - thanks for that. I guess in my case things are different as the wear is even and is actually from the realignment and not just in one patch.
That is a funny story about the cane!!!
Hey try not to worry about the various sporting events that you are missing, you have had a great trauma with that knee and you needed it fixed in case it got worse, now you just need to worry about recovery - you are young, there are plenty of years left to do sports and be involved in other stuff too. Its just a hard time right now - I agree with you, the frustration is a killer, but we must learn to be patient. We can always come and vent at each other here!!
Im just wishing away the days awaiting my scope and further diagnosis. Wouldnt it be lovely if the scope showed something really easy to fix and I was ok after it - ah well, may as well dream here as in bed :)
xx

Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app