Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Farrah's Right Fulkerson TTT 1/8/08, now RSD/CRPS...Left Fulkerson 11/16/10  (Read 506474 times)

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Medtronic = Life!
Re: Farrah's Fulkerson TTT Jan 8,'08, now RSD/CRPS
« Reply #3345 on: October 07, 2010, 02:35:01 AM »
Hi Guys!  Thanks for all the comments!  Pam, we have very similar stories of frustration and hope and always getting let down!  With my malpractice, I am just hoping for a settlement....a good one!  They ever offer you a settlement? Just curious how much you won if you can message me (just curious). 

My weight gain is about the same as yours.  I HATE it and am so self conscious on top of my eczema and hyperhydrosis (sweating)....all thanks to RSD.

So I saw my OS last week....he actually sent me to one of the new OS's that came into the practice for a 2nd opinion.  I think they are deathly afraid of touching my other knee.  The new OS (we'll call him #2) doesn't think I am ready b/c of all of my medical problems.  He's worried about my atrial tachycardia, the eczema, all of the narcotics for my RSD.  He wants me to talk to my pain doc about the future plan for my RSD and also wants me to see a neurologist whom I see next week.  I also need to find a way to allow my eczema to heal...especially around the "good" knee that's being treated.  I just e-mailed my original OS (the one who did my right knee) about the concerns I have about waiting for however long.  I NEED to have the Fulkerson on my left before January b/c of my finances....my deductibles and coinsurance are all paid 100% and I will not have to pay anything if I have the surgery before January. 

My EP cardio appt went GREAT! Nothing really changed with my meds except adding 1 dose in between 2 of one med. He wanted me to see him instead of his PA b/c he has been doing research for my hyperhydrosis (sweating condition). He told me what type of meds would help and to see if I can figure out which type of docs treat it.  He thinks an endocrinologist is next on my list, but we'll see what my dermatologist says tomorrow and my neurologist next week. If I can't figure it out, he will help me himself!!! Such an AWESOME cardio! I felt awesome that he has been trying to research my condition on his own since none of my other docs can help me!

My friend found a dog that she thinks got kicked out of her home!  My friend called me after she found her and wanted my help b/c of the rescue group I work with.  Unfortunately legally, the rescue group can't help until we go through certain steps first.  So Daisy lives at my house until we can get her into the rescue group.  She's 3-4 times larger than my dogs and is a handful.  She came to me not trained at all, but now is doing much better! She plays too rough with my dogs and cat, so I keep them separated.  She doesn't realize what she's doing, so I dont' get angry with her, just irritated :)

Okay, time for getting ready for bed!  Thanks again for all of the support!

Farrah

11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 77
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #3346 on: October 08, 2010, 04:34:17 PM »
Hi Farrah,

We seem to be the only 2 members posting on our thread in this section as others members use the other 100 post op section. Its always nice to have a 2nd opinion from an OS and may also see a 2nd OS as I sure there something still wrong inside the knee and need to find a OS that can find out what the problem is. Glad your cardio appointment went well and have a good cardio as it always helps knowing you have a good Doctors looking after your health problems.

I hope you find a new home for Daisy and why do people these days dump their pets as all they have to do is hand them into the animal rescue centre.

Enjoy the weekend.

Nick :) {2010} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 23
  • From the Land of OZ
« Reply #3347 on: October 16, 2010, 12:10:44 AM »
Hi Farrah

Concerning your excess sweating problem, did that start with your taking Cymbalta ?  I have a problem with breaking out several times a day with excessive sweating for no reason. My problem began with the start of cymbalta. Excessive sweating is one of the side effects of cymbalta. It's funny, I have all this sweating problem and at the same time have dry mouth, another cymbalta side effect.

My state has a cap on medical malpractice. The lawsuit took 4 yrs. My deposition took 6 hours. You need a picture perfect memory, meticulous notes and research , besides copies of all your records including from hospital, xrays, MRIs, scans etc. You will need to pay out $1000's of dollars for an expert witness opinion from OS for your case. The other side will have one too. My OS also called for a Peer review board where there are 4 doctors 2 picked by OS and 2 picked by me, from a list of doctors who do peer reviews. It is very one sided since I got no imput. In my case this process took 1 yr to get a ruling. There were a few docs who recused themselves , so new ones had to be picked. Finally the ruling came and all 4 ruled malpractice. My lawyer had never seen all 4 panel rule a malpractice verdict. My OS tried to settle several weeks before court. I was not interested in the amount and said we will see him in court. Then 3 days before court, an offer came up that I decided to accept. I probably could have gotten more money in court, but then they would have appealed and drawn it out even further, causing more money going for the cost of lawyers. I'm not allowed to divulge the amount. Make sure you have a lawyer who does malpractice lawsuits. My state had a 2 yr limit to file the suit.

The closure of the lawsuit was anticlimatic....it will never be enough for life long medical expenses and I still have a damaged leg/knee /ankle.

Good luck on your second opinion.

Pam

« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 12:15:21 AM by missmyknee »
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
openLOA, 6 neuromas excised,synov
3 Fusions

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #3348 on: November 05, 2010, 03:34:14 AM »
Hi All!  I don't know what I said last and don't feel like reading it :)  Too long!  Haha!  Since I saw my OS's new colleague, things have changed a LOT!  I e-mailed my usual OS that I disagreed with many things the colleague believed.  Some time went by and I fell while trying to clean my parakeet's cage. I had about a 3' tall dog gate around the bird table to prevent the dogs from bothering them.  Well going from the cage to outside the gate, my right foot got caught while I was holding a part of the cage that I couldn't put down.  So I slammed straight down on my on my left knee (the one currently treating) on the hard wood floors!  For days I couldn't bend it or put my weight on it, but I figured it was just a bruise and would go away (I had a black and blue mark on my knee cap).  Well the intense pain improved, but I still had more difficult problems with that knee than before I fell.  When I e-mailed my OS to inform him, he had me come in the next day.  Thinking we would talk about my left knee fall, we ended up talking about the surgery for that knee!  My OS had been doing a TON of research with top docs in the United States with different specialties....neurologist, anesthesiologist, etc.  All of this was to prevent RSD developing in my left knee.  To my surprise, I had a 50% chance of developing it since I had it in my right leg.  Now my chances are down to 5% thanks to the precautions he has researched.  He will not use a tourniquet during surgery, I will have other precautions that I don't remember during surgery.  Then after surgery, the idea is to prevent pain for as long as possible.  Pain can cause my nerves to act up and begin to cause RSD....NO PAIN?? FINE BY ME!! So in recovery through about a week after surgery, I will have a femoral nerve block catheter to help prevent pain.  I will also get a sciatic nerve block on the day of and then again a few days later. 

During post op, I will stay at my parent's house so that my mom can help take care of me.  With my other leg problems and my back problems, I will have difficulty moving around while trying to take care of myself. I hope to only stay there for a week and then get some friends to stop by now and again for the following 1-2 weeks.  I did pretty well during my 2nd week last time I the Fulkerson, so I imagine I will be this time....besides the RSD.  Surgery is November 16th!! I bet I will be updating daily all over again! I hope I have a "normal" recovery this time!  I had to ask my PT about the recovery times since I was on crutches for almost a year straight and then off and on after that.

OH! I quickly read a little of my last post and a few MAJOR things have happened.  Daisy, the stray dog I was caring for became sick.  Using what little money I had, I took her to the vet and turned out she had Parvo and I had to put her to sleep right then :(  It was such a difficult moment!  I can't imagine going through that once my babies get to an old age or get majorly sick.  Anyway, I freaked out for a few weeks b/c my babies could have gotten Parvo since I was 3yrs off from their last Parvo shot!  For those that don't know, Parvo kills dogs in a very short amount of time.  That's why I had to put Daisy down...I couldn't afford the $1500 treatment for a 60% chance of her making it.  If I had the money, I would have gone for it. 

Well, on the same day I took Daisy to the vet, I had to take my baby girl, Aury.  She had been peeing blood for a few days and not controlling her bladder very well.  Turns out she has very bad bladder stones which need to be surgically removed. Again, I have no money for that, but she's my baby!  So I worked my butt off and this week I set up a booth at the gymnastics place I was helping with for a few weeks and have been selling my jewelry.  Most of you know of my jewelry-making hobby.  I have collected over 500 pieces since I started making jewelry and have had plenty to sell.  I just finished day 4 out of 5 and currently have $485 including about $100 of donations from friends before that.  I have to raise almost $1000!!  I also have some furniture that I can sell that I no longer need.

Another event that has happened is that I signed my final divorce papers on Tuesday!  I now have 6 weeks of waiting until it's final.  My name will be back to my maiden name and I will be a single woman again!  Although this time, I will be taking care of myself and going through medical stuff on my own with a tiny bit of parental support. 

Pam, my sweating problem started months after I started Cymbalta.  My RSD has been progressive and it seems that every few months, something else comes up that is listed as a RSD symptom.  So it wasn't a surprise to many doctors that it came around.  Unfortunately, I am having some major problems getting a doctor to help treat me!  I now have an appt with my new endocrinologist tomorrow to rule out any problems like that.  Otherwise, my cardiologist said he'd help me since he has taken a special interest in my case...many of my docs have :)

Well it's about 11:30pm here and my babies (dogs) are waiting to go to bed!  They are on a schedule better than me :) 

As always, thanks for all of the support!

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3349 on: November 07, 2010, 02:17:31 AM »
Hi Farrah, thanks for the update.  I'm sorry to hear about the fall and now the surgery but it sounds like your doc is on it.  I'm sorry for the loss of your baby, we have 2 kitties and they are my boys.  I hate the thought of loosing them.  We lost our girl kitty a few years ago - she was 20!!  I am glad you are able to move on from your marriage with Matt, it's hard and a whole new world awaits you but I know it is still hard to go through.

I watch for your posts so keep posting.  I'll be thinking of you.

Diane
02/11/08 - LK ACL/MCL tears, fibula fracture - skiing in CA
04/14/08 - ACLr PT autograft

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3350 on: November 07, 2010, 12:52:17 PM »
Hi Farrah,

Sorry you have to go through another surgery you must be getting fed up with them by now as you been through a fair few throughout you life. Life can be a struggle at times but in the end things start to become better again and go through good and bad times during our life. Good luck with your next surgery.

16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #3351 on: November 16, 2010, 04:59:13 AM »
Hi Guys!  So the day has come!  My fulkerson left knee surgery is tomorrow around 6:30am....I am the first patient and will get to go home earlier!  They want me in so early b/c I am getting a few nerve blocks that take some extra time. I am kind of getting nervous, but I do not need to be.  I trust my OS with all of the precautions he is taking this time! 

Long story short, my OS is making sure I do not have to pay a dime for anything!  YOu know how they prescribe an ice machine, CPM machine, etc?  Well he's making sure that anything that needs to be billed to me should be erased since he does so much business with the companies!  Today we went back and forth with e-mails so he could answer some questions for me.  Then it came time for me to shower and get ready to meet the CPM rep to get fitted and learn the buttons, The appt was at :15am this morning. When my OS found out, he requested me to go upstairs to his office first (the CPM meeting was in the same building).  He set up the CPM to be sure that whatever insurance doesn't pay, will be erased!  I had to be at his office anyway to figure out my post op meds since I am on such strong ones already.  He actually called my pain doctor to run it by him and basically get permission first.  So they ended up adding two roxicodone along with the 4 times a day I already take.  So now it's as needed.  They also gave me a prescription for an anti-nausea med that dissolves under the tongue.  Since the ice machine for post op is now 100% out of pocket, my OS is letting me borrow one of their extra ones sqo that I don't have to pay.  Thank goodness for all that he's doing for me!  I forgot to mention he donated money for my sick dog!  I can't believe he did that!  He has a huge heart!

Okay, bed time!  I took my night meds about an hour ago and boy are they kicking in!  Hope you guys are doing well!  Now I will be forced to sit around for a week and will be on my laptop more than usual.  Maybe I will have some time to check up on you guys! 

OH!  Should I start a new thread for this surgery?  Or keep updating this one?  Any suggestions? Thanks and goodnight for USA people!

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline rouprak

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3352 on: November 16, 2010, 08:46:45 AM »
Hey Farrah,
Best if luck with the surgery and glad they have all the pain meds sorted. Look forward to reading your posts! You are do brave!!!
Rouprak xx
1992 - Growing pains!!!
1996 - ACL injury skiing
2003 - Charity wlak 60km! AGONY, MISTAKE
2003-2008 PHYSIO
24 Oct 08 - TTT/LR
Jan 2010- screw removal, arthroscopy and chondroplasty

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3353 on: November 16, 2010, 01:47:00 PM »
Farrah good luck with the surgery I really hope that all goes well for you and I look forward to hearing how it all goes for you
Take care Tez
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3354 on: November 16, 2010, 05:38:42 PM »
Hi Farrah,

Good luck with your surgery today which happens to be one year after I had my knee surgery on Monday 16th November 2009.

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #3355 on: November 17, 2010, 03:56:40 AM »
Hi Guys!This was a huge decision & a big surgery! With the RSD in my right leg, it took a lot of procedures or whatever to give me only a 5-10% chance in my left one! My OS treated me like a queen. He ultimately feels sooo badly about the last 3yrs of hell that I have been through b/c of RSD.  He knows it can just happen, but he still feels badly. Before surgery, he came into the pre-op room with my mom and I. He began to explain to my mom what will be done to prevent the RSD in my left knee ("good" knee). Then he began to explain the surgery to my mom.  After all of that, he began to tell my mom how badly he feels about the hell I have gone through in the last 3yrs.  My mom said he almost cried! So he treats me like a queen, aka "vip person": Very Important Patient :) He made sure all modalities used at home were not my financial responsibility! He went out of his way many times to get things resolved for me...he spoke with many top docs to get answers about my condition and the best way to prevent it! He also communicated with my pain MD about how to alter my meds b/c of surgical pain. They said to stay on my Roxicodone for the 4 times a day I was already taking and add 2 more times.  So now it's every 4hrs as needed! The pain relief doesn't last to the 4th hours...maybe the beginning of the 3rd.

After all of the normal preparations, still in the pre op room,  it was time to put the nerve blocks in...they gave me a sedative to tolerate the first one on my hip, then put me to sleep with the second. The 2nd entailed an ultrasound to find the nerves and then put the needle where it needs to go to prevent pain (this one was the ON-Q system...some of you have used one). When they woke me up, I realized both legs were numb!!  They were temporarily freaking out, but eventually it went away. Then it was time to get to meet with my mom...I have no idea what I said!!!  I do remember trying hard not to say anything stupid! After that, it was on to the surgery room with a numb leg! They had to help me get on the table since my numb leg was just hanging around. :) Then I finally saw how they move patients from table to bed! While getting in the right place on the table, they just lifted the blanket (with me on it) with four people! I still don't know how they do it when you are upside down (like for back surgery).

So when I woke up in recovery, I was coughing badly b/c of the breathing tube. It was so bad that the entire office (including PT) could hear me. It just so happened that my OS was talking to my mom. So my OS and my mom came in to see what was going on...I was getting that breathing treatment that asthma patients get at times...it eventually helped after the 2nd time. When that ended, I was obviously wide awake and realized where I was and what's going on. My knee was wrapped in tons of bandages and a splint. The splint had 3 tubes coming out of me! One was a drain from my surgery wound...it collected the blood from the wound.  The 2nd and 3rd were 2 nerve blocks with catheters taped to my back. These are connected to a ball of medication that I can control. The control allows me to tell it how fast to send the medication to the nerves so that it prevents pain signals. So I have to wear a fanny pack with this medication and controls and the container that the blood drains into!  Bleh! Anyway, once I got home, I completely forgot how to go upstairs with my crutches with my leg completely numb. So once I got to entry in the garage to he house, my mom gave me a chair to sit in and pushed me out of the way so I could walk on my crutches again! I told her I am not leaving the house until I can feel my leg and bear some weight! The rest of the day included me sitting with several pillows under my leg, taking meds, practicing my walker, and took my crutches and myself to the bathroom!!!

I am currently in some pain, but I Know it could be a lot worse without the 2 nerve blocks.! My family has helped me a lot by getting me whatever I need.  I couldn't ask for more!

Well it's off to bed as I am the last one in the house! I just realized that I don't know how to get these pillows on my bed (no stairs)! I walk with my walker in the house and my crutches outside the house or in awkward situations where it's a narrow place to move through. So I have to get the pillows on my bed and then walk through a narrow space! Tell ya about it tomorrow :)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3356 on: November 17, 2010, 01:20:39 PM »
Glad you are home, keep us posted.

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #3357 on: November 19, 2010, 04:28:16 AM »
So far I am doing okay...my dad comes home some time tomorrow I think (Friday)....so things may change by the end of the weekend! We'll see!  (I don't get along well with my dad) :-*

Usually with this type of surgery, people are in extreme pain for at least the first 5days or so.  Well b/c they gave me two nerve blocks (femoral and sciatic nerve). I am feeling generally fine!  I just can't move around much, but thankfully my mom is helping me a lot! 

I have been going to physical therapy everday since surgery (on Tues). R ight now it's easy.  I just go in, he checks for any wound problems, then go on the cpm machine that they have. I pick how far I want to go....I am 90* right now which is more than anyone expected! I have physical therapy next week on Mon, wed, and friday also.  I should be able to drive on Tuesday of next week since I will have the catheters removed probably on Friday or so.  As far as meds, I am on the same meds I was on before surgery, except my roxicodone is from every 6hrs, now it's every 4hrs until the surgery pain goes away.  f  h
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline BigSkyGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3358 on: November 19, 2010, 03:36:11 PM »
Glad you are doing well.  Maybe this time things will go easier.  Have a good weekend.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3359 on: November 20, 2010, 11:22:27 AM »
Hi Farrah,

Glad you are back home again and the surgery part is now over and can now enjoy the weekend and take things easy the next couple of days. Its good to be given nerve blocks as you do not want to be in too much pain and discomfort and might as well use the drugs that are out there, which helps reduce the pain.

Enjoy the weekend.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 11:24:12 AM by Clarkey »