Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Farrah's Right Fulkerson TTT 1/8/08, now RSD/CRPS...Left Fulkerson 11/16/10  (Read 449304 times)

Offline smkelly4kds

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Longing for a new knees!
    • Melissa's Blog
Re: Farrah's Fulkerson Osteotomy Post Op
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2008, 08:10:54 PM »
I am not sure if I will be using the CPM machine.  I just know I start ROM the next day and PT within the next week or two PO.  I am going to do my best to get out this weekend and be "free" so to speak.  Should be interesting though, we are expecting some serious cold weather here in Southern IL.  Thankfully no snow or ice till next week but naturally we are expected to get it Monday - Wed.  Hoping it won't do anything though!

melissa
Aug 2007 - dislocation Rt knee-PT no improvement
Jan 08 TTT (Fulkerson)  Rt knee
Scope 6/08 LT Knee- debridgement medial femoral condyle w/stedman picking, part. lateral menisectomy
July 22 started 1st round of synvisc heading for 5 total....so far working!
Still having pain w/TTT knee pain

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2008, 02:47:08 PM »
Today is PO day 11 and I am at 100 degrees on my CPM machine.  So I am hoping to send that machine away!!  I have only been doing it for 3-4 hrs a day instead of 6 hours like my therapist wanted.  He said he wasn't worried about it since my ROM is still so good.  I love my new knee brace!  It is one of those lockable ones, but for now it is on full range.  My therapist might change that once I actually start more weight bearing.  My doctor has put all of that in my hands now!  So according to him, when I go back in 4 weeks, I should be without crutches!  Maybe not without brace.  I am just so excited about my progress. I thought this would be a 4-6 months injury, but it sounds like it may only be a 2-3 month one!  I am trying some weight bearing with crutches, but my knee is so wobbly!  It feels so weird.  Even with the brace it is hard.  It doesn't hurt too badly though.  Sometimes it hurts in the shin and sometimes in the osteotomy site. So I guess once I get my muscles to function right, then I will be good to go.  At least I don't have to sleep with any brace on at night!!  This whole thing has been so much easier than I thought it would be. Anyway...good luck to everyone else on therapy and surgery!  I will post again later!

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2008, 03:41:40 PM »
Hey,  It sounds like you are doing well.  Remember to listen to your knee and not try to do too much too fast or over do it!

Karen
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2008, 04:41:45 PM »
Thanks!!  I am anxious to get a move on though.  I put my brace on this morning really tightly and actually walked without the use of my crutches.  I had my crutches on each side just in case.  I will keep practicing that, but I know it will be a while until I can get rid of the crutches.  My muscles are still so weak.  I felt my knee wobbling even with the brace on.  My muscles were shaking too.  All it would take is one collapse, and I'd be out for a week or more!  So I will definitely be careful. Now that I am sitting down it feels like I just ran a mile!!  My knee felt fine though.  I feel a little pain at the osteotomy site, but not much.  It might be my brace digging into it a little.  Anyway, I will be careful!  :) 
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2008, 05:47:42 PM »
Hello...it is now post op day 12!  The days are flying by and I feel like I am getting better by the day.  I am getting much stronger and can control my muscles pretty well.  Certain things I still can't control.  I keep trying to make the motions of driving (gas and breaking), but I can't control my muscles enough to move from one pedal to the other or push hard enough.  So I will keep trying, but think I will get there by the end of this week hopefully!  I have stopped trying to walk with the brace on and no crutches b/c I am sure I am not ready for that yet.  I wasn't really walking...it was more like a huge limp!  Not good to get into bad habits, so I have stopped.  I am now sticking to bearing weight with the crutches.  I am getting better at it.  I am just anxious to get going!  Oh well.  If I want to get better right, I have to be patient.  I start back to work tomorrow as an architect by day and gymnastics coach at night.  I have a feeling it will be a very long day.  My boss has given me a list of easy tasks to do at first in case I have trouble concentrating.  Unfortunately she warned me that some of the tasks involve moving around.  I can handle it as long as I don't have to carry anything or move around for too long.  As a gymnastics coach, I can just sit on the side and tell the girls what the are doing wrong.  No big deal there.  I plan on taking 1 ice pack to my office in case I feel like I would benefit from it throughout the day.  I have been icing 2-3 times a day at home, but the swelling has gone down enough to where I am not too worried about the number of times I do it....as long as I do it when it hurts or is obviously swollen at least.  I have high hopes that tomorrow my therapist will allow me to get rid of the CPM machine.  That machine is not helping me enough to spend 6 hrs a day on it!  I can push my own ROM.  I am at the point now, that the degree on that machine is uncomfortable on my body.  The way I sit it pushes my leg so far that it hurts other muscles and I have to move around to allow it to push it all the way....I am at 110 degrees.  I can do 110 degrees without the CPM.  Anyway, that is my story for now.  I will keep it up to date as my days progress.  Wish me luck at my first day back to work tomorrow!!!

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2008, 03:26:09 AM »
It's PO day 13!  I am doing well.  Today was my first day back to work and it went well.  It was kind of a long day, but it went well.  My husband dropped me off at 6:30am (usually 8am) and picked me up around 4:15pm to take me to therapy.  I was worried about therapy since I was given the okay to add more weight and do more things.  It actually went well.  My therapist added at first one more exercise where I hold onto a railing and shift my weight back and forth.  Then he said that was it...so I complained and said that I was ready to drive...so give me more!!  So he gave me another exercise where I sat in a little rolly stool and had to pull myself across the room using my legs.  I couldn't go forwards at all.  It made my knee pop and hurt badly.  So he made me try going backwards....I could handle that one better.  It took a while, but I made it.  Then I was finished for the day...ice and stim!  So I got home with just a little more pain in my knee, but I am still going to push it to get stronger.  I am already maxed out at 115 degrees on my CPM.  My therapist said that if I get to therapy and can push my ROM that far without the machine, then I can get rid of it!  I ask every day when I can drive and he keeps saying in a few weeks...so today he finally said 3 weeks!  I said no way...1 week!!  So tomorrow I am calling my OS to find out a better idea.  My PT said that my OS lets him decide, that it will be 3 weeks!  My husband will force me to wait by hiding my keys!  So I am calling to get a better answer....one I want to hear! 
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

brianne

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2008, 03:33:45 AM »
Its hard to not drive, but when the surgery is on your right it is important to wait until you are cleared to drive.  You need to have enough control of your leg to work the pedals.  Its not only for your safety, but the safety of those around you on the road.  its frustrating, but it will be over soon.

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2008, 04:19:27 PM »
Well my OS called me back yesterday and pretty much told me what I figured he would about driving...Just to make my own decision and think about all the right things before I start.  So that is good.  I am not going to risk my life and others to drive.  I just want to focus on controlling the muscles necessary to drive.  So I will be working on it!

So it is 2 weeks since surgery!  I am back at work full time.  I have some trouble getting comfortable at my desk, but it isn't too bad.  I take my brace off while sitting.  If I am going to walk around, then I put it back on for support.  The brace digs into where the bone is healing, so it hurts.  Therapy is still going okay.  I don't think my ROM was at 115 the way I push it there.  When my PT pushes it, it is just different than on my CPM machine.  So he doesn't believe that I have maxed out my CPM.  He has pushed me to probably 100 degrees.  I haven't had a lot of time to do CPM over the last few days, but every time I use it, I still get right to 115 degrees with minimal pain at the end of the bend.  So it is pointless almost. I am hoping to get rid of it by the end of the week.

Everything is else going great.  My knee has been a little more swollen since I am using it a little more now.  I have been icing during work a little bit to keep it down.  The ice just feels great!  It is amazing how nice people are when you can't carry much or walk very quickly.  Yesterday I was dropped off in my 20 story office building carrying a gym bag with my gymnastics coaching clothes in it.  It kept falling off my shoulder and the concierge guy came and took the bag and took it all the way to my desk!  I couldn't believe it!  My co-workers are nice too!  I guess that's it for now!  I will post again soon! 

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2008, 06:12:10 PM »
It is Post Op day 16! I have already been bearing weight, but still with heavy use of crutches.  My knee just wants to completely give out without support or crutches.  With the brace it still tries to give out without the crutches. I am getting pretty frustrated and feel like my muscles aren't getting stronger fast enough!  I am doing everything I am suppose to.  My ROM hasn't changed much lately...still 115 degrees on the CPM and only 100 degrees at therapy. My PT is happy with that, but I am not.  I have been at 100 degrees for probably a 5 days now.  I need to get more!  He doesn't believe that I am at 115 on my CPM.  Oh well...what can I do about that...Anyway, last night he pushed me pretty hard.  I was screaming during the ROM stretching.  He also had me doing some new exercises.  They didn't hurt so much...except the weight shifts!  Anyway...still have a long way to go and I am starting to realize it!  I progressed so much at the beginning, and now it is so slow.  I still can't control my leg.  MY SLRs and ABB and ADD exercises are easier, but I still need some quads! He tried to get me to do a step up last night while supporting myself on some parallel bars!  I couldn't even get any of my base foot off the ground. So he said to hold off for a while longer on that one.  My calf muscles are getting smaller by the day! I was seriously hoping I'd notice a difference in walking by the end of this week.  I just feel like I am in the exact same spot! Last night I couldn't sleep b/c of pain! Today I am hardly bearing any weight at all b/c of it!  Anyway, hopefully I will feel better about all of this next week. I am leaving for a 2 night trip tonight for a gymnastics meet....6 hrs of riding tonight, followed by 12 hrs standing coaching on Friday, then another 6 hrs riding the next day.  My Therapist was worried about me standing for 12 hrs on Friday!  I will be in for it when I return!  That's it for now!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 06:22:18 PM by arkitect06 »
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline PELoughlin

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2008, 06:42:40 PM »
Farrah-

Be Patient-you're doing really well!!! I am 4 weeks post Fulkersons/LR tomorrow and I'm not much further along than you, except for maybe pain levels which have improved a lot.  Still, I'm not even allowed to be Weight Bearing at all right now, so my calf is TINY!   My ROM is probably about 115-120 and that's it too (No CPM, just on my own)  So, it'll come along and it's just a long road, but every day, it will get a little bit better and you'll be there soon!  Ironically, I'm also spending my weekend at a gymnastics meet but I'm just doing the scoring, so I'll get to sit down at least! (It's at my daughter's gym)  Still, don't worry about feeling tired at the end of the day or not being "fixed"  It takes more time than I think any of us would like, but it really does sound like you're doing amazingly well.  Good luck at the meet this weekend-where do you coach? What levels?   Ellie

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2008, 06:50:48 PM »
I coach in Atlanta at North Metro Gymnastics center.  I only coach the levels Prep Opt 1 and 2.  Where do you live and where does your daughter do gymnastics?  What level and age?

Which knee did you have done?  Are you driving? 
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline PELoughlin

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2008, 12:09:51 AM »
I live outside of Boston and she competes at level 6 (she's 11) for New England Sports Academy.  It's a bit of a crazy life for her these days trying to do 16 hours practice plus school and some time thrown in to be a kid! 

I had my left knee done and I started driving 2 weeks after my surgery.  I think that waiting to drive was definitely the hardest part of my recovery :)  Now, I'm mostly ready to get off of these crutches and start PT.  For some reason, Dr. Fulkerson didn't want me to start PT or weight bearing until 6 weeks-my doctor here (who is doing the post op stuff) is going along with that too, so I guess it'll be what it is at 6 weeks.  I've done lots of SLRs and ROM stuff but that's it...skinny leg.  And not the kind of skinny I was going for! 

Good luck at your meet this weekend!  ICE ICE ICE-i think that's the only thing that will save you at the end of each day!!!

Offline chromolume7

• Regular Poster
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2008, 12:57:16 AM »
Hi there!  I just wanted to echo the "be patient" that others have posted.  For a little perspective - I'm almost 6 weeks post op from a fulkerson/lr on my right leg and I still haven't driven.  My doctor did clear me to start driving at week 4, but until I can make my leg work reliably when I'm walking, I don't want to try.

I know how tough it is to be limited, but at the same time better to take it slow now than run into problems later because things didn't have a chance to heal adequately.

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
Re: Farrah's Fulkerson Osteotomy Jan 8
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2008, 10:04:04 PM »
It's PO day 18!  Guess what!!  When I got back from my long ride from the gymnastics meet, I decided I wanted to try to drive!!  So without a blessing from my husband, I jumped in the car and adjusted the seat and practiced without going anywhere.  I pretended to go from pedal to pedal and then do an emergency break.  It hurt my knee, but my strength allowed it.  The hardest part was getting in and out of the car!!!  So I turned the car on, and drove around the neighborhood and on one busy street and back.  I put the seat up as close as possible to not require the motion of bending and straightening. I had it bent the entire time and used what muscles I have to control it.  I did it!!!!  It felt sooooooo great!!  My therapist is going to be pissed, but my doctor said that I could do it when I felt that I could!  So I am going to drive a little to places I need to go tomorrow, then see how I feel tomorrow night.  I will probably rely on people on Monday until I see my therapist that night.  I will see what he says and hopefully drive myself everywhere from there!  I am so happy! 

So the meet went well.  The hardest part was walking around the resort going to and from the gym and my room.  My muscles were so sore this morning from using the crutches.  I had my brace on the entire time for support.  I did okay except that during my 2nd session warm ups it started hurting really badly.  So I took a couple of tylenol on top of the Ultram ER I already had.  I started feeling better and continued with the meet.  I still can't control some muscles, so occassionally my knee gave out forwards or hyperextended if I put too much weight down.  So I had to keep the brace on otherwise it would have been even worse.  Every time my knee gives out, it kills.  At this fancy dinner we went to last night, I had my leg up on a chair while my friend went to the bathroom.  When she got back, she didn't see my foot on it, so she pulled the chair out and my foot fell down so fast that it killed my knee since I can't control the muscles to slow it down!!!  The parents sitting around me were freaking out.  I ended up being okay of course, but it was painful for several minutes.  Things like that happened throughout the weekend.  Generally it was sooooo fun!  The Prep Opt #2 team got 2nd place, but still didn't do very well...lots of falls on beam: full turns, cartwheels, etc. The Prep Opt #1 team got 3rd place among more competition.  They did sooooo great compared to the #2 team!  They had less falls on beam and great routines everywhere else.  We had several 9.0 scores in that session!  It was awesome.  I did get to sit down more in the 2nd session since it was a traditional style meet.  The first one was a modified capital cup...so there was a lot more moving around.  It was all fun though.  The beach was beautiful, but freezing cold.  So we didn't go there at all.  We mainly stayed in the hotel the entire time...it was a huge resort, so it was big.  Anyway, I will keep you posted on my future driving endeavors! 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 10:08:13 PM by arkitect06 »
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
Re: Farrah's Fulkerson Osteotomy Jan 8
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2008, 02:53:36 AM »
I am driving again!!!
It's PO day 19 now!  I drove everywhere I needed to today!  It felt great mentally!  Physically, it was difficult.  I could get to the pedals okay, but it hurt my knee the whole time.  I had to ice at every destination I arrived at today.  I also had my test of pressing the break in an emergency situation.  I was talking to my mom on my cell phone and right when she asked me how my driving was going, I had to slam on the breaks to avoid hitting the people slamming on their breaks in front of me.  My tires squealed and it hurt my knee, but I could do it.  I am still not going to drive my 1hr morning commute tomorrow on my way to work.  My husband is taking me and my sister is picking me up and taking me to therapy.  I am going to tell the PT that I can drive and see what his reaction is.  If he thinks I shouldn't b/c it may hold back my recovery, then I will stop.  My doc did say it was my decision when to start.  So we'll see how it goes.  My PT wanted me to wait another 2-3 weeks from today.  Considering I still can't walk without crutches or control my muscles still, I understand his concern.  Anyway, I also watched tennis all afternoon today.  It was fun.  My knee did start hurting in the middle of the afternoon, but I popped two extra strength tylenol and shortly felt better.  Tylenol never used to work for me, but I guess the combination of that and my Ultram ER, it works.  The less pain, the better!!  That's it for now!

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D