Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Farrah's Right Fulkerson TTT 1/8/08, now RSD/CRPS...Left Fulkerson 11/16/10  (Read 445506 times)

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Medtronic = Life!
Re: Farrah's Fulkerson Osteotomy Post Op
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 01:44:08 PM »
Good morning!  This is morning of PO6 already.  It seems like I just had surgery yesterday...especially with the pain.  I was hoping my pain would have diminished from last night once I woke up this morning, but it so completely did not!  I couldn't sleep last night and on the pain scale, I woke up with probably an 8!   The pain is right where the bone was shifted.  So when I woke up, I took 2 percocet...after trying to get off of them!  So now I am feeling a little better, but I am afraid to move at all!  I don't want to overdo it and allow the pain to come back!  Has anyone else experienced this at PO6??  Thanks!
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline sailchic

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2008, 02:39:29 PM »
Sorry to hear that you're hurting so much.  I had a similar experience with my recent TTT revision.  The first few days hurt but not too bad, started to get better but then had a huge pain flare up around day 5-7.  I was really concerned that there could be something wrong with the screws.  Then literally I woke up on day 8 and was a whole new person.  Since then it's been sore and have had a few big ouch moments but the pain level has been nothing like it was.  Just keep going, it'll get better eventually.  If you're worried about the pain level you should give your OS a call.

Good luck!

Liz
11/02 L LR, Medial Reefing,
9/05 L TTT, Medial Reefing
9/06 L unscrewed, LR repair
12/07 L TTT revision
12/08 L unscrewed
12/09 R TTT
5/10 R unscrewed

9/11 L MPFL & LPFL repair, VMO adv. -- "global tightening"

EDS Classical Type

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2008, 03:21:21 PM »
Thanks so much for your response.  I am glad to know that it is I guess "normal" to experience this pain at this point.  I am just worried now that I will run out of percocet.  If I do run out and feel that I still need it before Fridays OS apt, then I will have to call.  I don't want to experience this pain!!!  I feel a little better now that the meds have kicked in.  I am still taking it as easy as possible.  This is probably the most relaxed I have been in a few days.  It feels good.  I will just make sure to stay on top of the meds.  Thanks again!! 
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2008, 01:18:50 AM »
Okay, so it is the end of PO6!  It ended way better than it began!  My PT worked on my ROM and I got up to 75!!!!  It hurt my muscles more than my knee!!  He said I am doing really well and to just keep taking the pain meds as much as I feel I need to.  He said it is better to be pain free than to be suffering to be tough!!  I agreed!!  I was actually able to do a straight leg raise today with no assistance!!  I was so happy!!!!!!  My PT was about the same today as it was my first time last Thursday. So it was pretty simple...just a little painful.  He told me to keep working on my CPM machine as much as I can and if I have to I can decrease the angle if it is bothersome.  So I am thrilled with my progress and hope it continues like this!  The pain I have been going through is worth it once I make progress!!!  Anyway, I hope you guys are doing well!
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2008, 02:06:56 PM »
So it is the morning of PO7!  I can't believe it has already been a week!!  I was pretty uncomfortable last night...I imagine it was from PT.  He pushed my ROM pretty good.  That's the only thing I can think would make me sore.  So I wasn't able to really sleep last night.  I did take a percocet last night and still woke up every 2 hrs or so with much discomfort.  I am still the same this morning.  It isn't a real pain, just a lot of stiffness and aching.  It's kind of weird.  It's like my knee is begging me to use it.  So this morning I have hooked myself up to electrotherapy until I feel like using the CPM in a little while.  I am suppose to get to 70 degrees today! I think it could happen.  Since I had to give up my cryotherapy machine yesterday, I bought a new ice pack from PT last night that is sooooo awesome!  It fits just perfectly with a perfect weight to form to my knee.  It is 11" x 14" and couldn't be more perfect.  So this morning I iced with it and it felt so good.  Unfortunately it only stays cold for about 30 minutes which means I need to keep getting up and down to change the ice pack.  I put it over my compression wrap, so it just keeps my knee feeling cold like the cryotherapy did.   It feels great!

I am just thrilled with my progress!!!!  I still can't really move my leg as I want, but I will keep trying.  I have to try my first set of straight leg raises today as part of my PT.  I am kind of nervous about it b/c I have a feeling I will get frustrated.  I could only do one last night at PT.  I don't think I will be going to work this week like I wanted to.  I don't want to push myself with anything except PT!  At first I thought my OS was crazy saying that I would be back into sports in 3-4 months!  Now I think he may be right!  I love my doctor!!!!!  I am sure he is the reason I am where I am.   I hope I continue progressing without getting too much pain!  I am ecstatic!!!!  Can you tell?  A little different than parts of yesterday!!    I hope everyone else is doing well!
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2008, 01:43:33 AM »
Hello People...a little boring today.  I haven't been in much pain today.  My knee just feels like it needs to be used!!  The CPM is getting so boring.  I got up to 80degrees today in it!!  That is 5 deg more than my PT was able to get me to last night.  It doesn't even hurt when I do it.  I know I have a long way to go, but I am tired of sitting around!!!  I can't get comfy b/c my muscles begin to hurt in my bad leg once I get to a spot that makes my knee feel good.  Is this all normal??  I am hating it.  Anyway, I am still happy with my progress.  I am ready to go to my OS on Friday and see what I can start doing next!  I can't wait to get my stitches all out!  I have a feeling my ROM will get even better after that.  Anyway, it is the end of PO7, and I am winding down the day....I will post again tomorrow morning!! 

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2008, 02:01:26 PM »
It is PO8 for me now!  I have not taken a percocet since yesterday around 9am!  So I am doing well with pain.  The most discomfort is when my knee wants to be used.  So I have been working with it.  I have been doing a lot of my own ROM outside of just the CPM machine.  I am doing well with that. Last night it was difficult to sleep b/c I didn't want to stay on my back.  So I kept the pillows stacked up and slept on my side a little bit with my leg up.  I still couldn't get comfortable long enough to sleep past 3:30am!  Everything else is going great though!  Have a good one!
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2008, 10:27:35 AM »
So it is the morning of PO day 9!  I have been just great!!  I am completely off the percocet as of 48 hours ago!  I have gotten myself back on my normal medication for my bad back: Ultram ER.  I normally take Indocin as my NSAID, but b/c of blood thinning I am waiting to get my stitches out first.  The only problems have been still a lot of swelling, still not sleeping well, and my knee wants to be used.  I have been sitting on the couch with my knee fairly relaxed...in other words bent!  I keep it straight and bent throughout the day.  I go back and forth to get comfortable.  I still walk around with my immobilizer and two crutches.  Yesterday when I got into the shower (my husband helped), my knee was so wobbly without any support.  It was scary.  I still am having issues with the muscles, but when I sit, I can move it any way I want to now.  I can get on and off the couch with hardly any problems (no weight though)!!  I can also bend and straighten it myself without forcing it.  I hope I am suppose to be able to do all this this early!  Since I am not forcing it, I believe it should be okay, but I guess I will find that out at my OS apt tomorrow.  I am hoping I am just doing really well.  My left knee is starting really to hurt so much again since I am off the Percocet!  I have a feeling it will just start feeling worse by the day since I am having to rely on it so much more now.  Before, I could share the pain with both knees...obviously I can't do that now. One more thing: I CAN'T GET TO SLEEP!!!  Why is this??  My knee doesn't hurt, it just I guess gets stiff.  Any advice to help me sleep at night???  I usually wake up around 2 or 3am and keep shifting until about 6am when I usually wake up just b/c I am tired of not being able to sleep.  I have tried sleeping on my side with pillows between my knees with my bad leg up, I have tried on my back with or without pillows, I have tried allowing it to bend a little in either position, etc.  I just can't get comfortable!  Someone help me please.  I hate to take tylenol PM b/c it really knocks me out and makes me groggy in the mornings.  I haven't taken it in years, but I just don't want to have to. 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 10:41:25 AM by arkitect06 »
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2008, 07:18:24 PM »
I had therapy this morning and made 95deg ROM on my own!!! No assistance!!!!  I can't wait for my OS tomorrow to see what I can work on next.  Therapy is boring!!  I am ready to push it!
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline smkelly4kds

• Forum Faithful
  • Longing for a new knees!
    • Melissa's Blog
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2008, 09:18:38 PM »
Sounds like you are doing great!  I am having TTT on Monday in the afternoon...the waiting is starting to kill me!  I have been doing everything I can around the house and going shopping so that the house is stocked!  Will give my hubby a chance to just take care of the kids and me without having to worry about getting groceries the first week or so. Good luck with the OS!
Aug 2007 - dislocation Rt knee-PT no improvement
Jan 08 TTT (Fulkerson)  Rt knee
Scope 6/08 LT Knee- debridgement medial femoral condyle w/stedman picking, part. lateral menisectomy
July 22 started 1st round of synvisc heading for 5 total....so far working!
Still having pain w/TTT knee pain

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2008, 03:39:37 AM »
Good luck!!  I was nervous for about a week before my surgery!  I couldn't sleep....and still can't sleep :)  I hope your recovery moves quickly.  Just be sure to do what the doctor says and no more than that!!  Good luck!

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2008, 12:36:22 PM »
I am so excited!  I have my first post op OS apt today!!!  I am finally getting these stitches out and maybe I will be allowed to take a normal shower!!  I can't wait!  My PT didn't think he would do an x-ray this early, so we'll see about that.  I have really good ROM and am ahead of schedule.  Hopefully that is okay!  It is post op day 10 and I am doing great...I am off percocet completely and back on my usual pain medication (ultram ER).  My good knee is still causing problems as it was before my surgery of my right knee.  Of course I have to depend on it more now, so it is hurting a lot.  I am icing my left one at the same time I am icing my right one!  I will tell the OS about it today to see what the future is for my left knee as well.  Okay, well I will keep this up to date once I get back home from my OS apt! 
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2008, 06:03:59 PM »
I just got back from my first Post Op OS appointment!  It went sooooooo well.  I am out of my immobilizer brace and into a regular  (huge) brace where I can actually bend my knee!!  He is very happy with my progress so far and says I am ahead of schedule and may be back into sports in only 6-8 weeks or so!!!  I hope I continue to make this much progress!!  I am still on crutches for another 3-4 weeks.  Oh well....at least I can do it at my own discretion...weight bearing as tolerated!!! I am happy!!  I don't really have too many limitations now and just need to respond appropriately when my knee hurts.  They made me keep my immobilizer in case I have any problems between now and when I am 100% better.  While at the drs office, I saw 7 different people...3 doctors and 4 technician people.  I couldn't believe how I was treated!  The stitches didn't hurt getting them out.  My x-rays looked good.  My knee cap was exactly where it should be!  It was an amazing difference from last time. My new brace is awesome since I can move now when I walk and start more weight bearing and using my muscles to do it.  I am just ecstatic.  I start back to work on Monday, but still no driving for probably another week or so...at least until I feel strong enough.  I hope everyone else is doing well!!

11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline smkelly4kds

• Forum Faithful
  • Longing for a new knees!
    • Melissa's Blog
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2008, 06:56:29 PM »
WOW that is fantastic!  I hope I have results like you!  Remember to rest that leg btween all the fun you are now allowed to do!
Aug 2007 - dislocation Rt knee-PT no improvement
Jan 08 TTT (Fulkerson)  Rt knee
Scope 6/08 LT Knee- debridgement medial femoral condyle w/stedman picking, part. lateral menisectomy
July 22 started 1st round of synvisc heading for 5 total....so far working!
Still having pain w/TTT knee pain

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2008, 07:13:36 PM »
I will definitely be careful.  I still can't put much weight on my bad leg yet, so I still have a long way to go.  I am just thrilled with where I have gotten.  Good luck!!!!!  Just be careful! Take it very very easy the first 2-3 days you are home.  Just allow yourself to relax as much as possible.  Keep up with the pain meds.  Be ready to watch really boring TV!  You'll memorize the schedule until you are back on your normal schedule.  The tv schedule here sucks!!  Are you going to be using a CPM machine during recovery?  If so, keep up with it.  I think that is why I am where I am so far!  Well good luck!
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D