Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Farrah's Right Fulkerson TTT 1/8/08, now RSD/CRPS...Left Fulkerson 11/16/10  (Read 445384 times)

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Medtronic = Life!
My history...I have had ongoing knee problems for over 6 years now. I had an arthroscopic surgery for chondromalacia about 6 years ago with no success. I have been going to 3 different doctors off and on for the entire 6 years while doing therapy off and on as well. I have done probably 2 total years of therapy with absolutely no help. So finally after seeing this one doc for 1.5 years, he transferred me back over to the OS doc. So now the OS doc has finally agreed that I have problems :) I have patellar subluxation in both knees. Since the “quick” fix 6 years ago didn’t help, I was then scheduled for Jan 8,2008 Fulkerson Osteotomy. At that time, they were going to be doing a biopsy on my cartilage for a future potential autologous chrondrocyte implantation. My OS said that if the Fulkerson doesn’t help 100%, then there is a lot of cartilage damage and the implantation will be the next step. I am looking forward to healthy knees…that is for sure! 

So on Jan 8,  I arrived at the surgery center at 6:15am to meet the rep for my CPM machine, then later arrived for my 6:30am surgery check in.  By 7am, I already had my IV in and my vitals checked.  After that I had my nerve block in my right leg.  Because they gave me some "I don't care" medicine before the block, I don't remember much after that.  I remember being transferred from my bed to the operating table.  I then remembered being awaken in recovery.  During recovery, I realized that my left leg was numb too...it happens to 1 in 50 people....lucky me.  So I had to stay in recovery for 1.5 hrs longer so my left leg would have feeling in it.  Once I got home around 2pm, I felt pretty good until 5pm when the numbness in my right leg went away. I then was in lots of pain for the rest of the night despite the 2 percocet every 4hrs.  The pain got better as the days went on.  I had my first therapy apt yesterday morning where I did mostly electric stimulation muscle strengthening exercises and few stretches.  It wasn't too painful.  I still can't raise my leg without any assistance!!  That is the most frustrating part!  So anyway, I am now 3 days PO and am feeling pretty good.  I have decreased my pain meds down to 1 every 4-6hrs now.  I have my first PO OS apt on Jan 18th where he will remove my stitches and let me know what he did and found during surgery.  He did mention after surgery that he probably won't have to do the ACI surgery b/c the cartilage damage wasn't all the way to the bone.  He said though, that he may have to do some other surgery that is way worse than the fulkerson b/c I have a very shallow trochlea groove.  I know what that means, but I don't understand how he can fix that.  Oh well....I will find out next week!  I feel like I am doing pretty well so far!!!  Today I have completed my CPM  machine for 4 hrs, done one round of therapy, and have been using the ice machine and electrotherapy off and on all day.  So I am feeling well considering all that I have done!!!  I am happy! :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Farrah
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 10:39:54 PM by arkitect06 »
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
Re: Farrah's Fulkerson Osteotomy Post Op
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 03:51:42 AM »
Okay, so I finally did some research about this flat trochlear groove that my doctor found during surgery.   Has anyone ever had a trochleaplasty before?  After already having an FO, would be too difficult to get back to normal?  I am not sure if I will be needing this, but doctor did mention it after surgery on Tuesday.  I will find out more next week.  Until then, I just want to do more research.  Thanks!
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

brianne

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 04:04:15 AM »
A trocheoplasty is a very risky and difficult surgery with a relatively low success rate.  Most OS's will opt to try other procedures before considering this procedure.  I have a flat groove and my OS has said that he considers the procedure too risky for my knees.

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 02:01:44 PM »
Have you had a Fulkerson Osteotomy?  Just curious...I have great trust in my doctor.  In fact when I first saw him years ago, he mentioned surgery, then changed his mind for about 1.5yrs.  My doctor is the head physician of the Falcons and Thrashers in atlanta.  I trust him completely that he wouldn't tell me something that wasn't worth it.  I probably will not have to have it, but I was just curious about it.  Do you know where I can find more info about it just in case??  I like to be prepared when my doc talks about stuff.  I want to already understand it, ya know? I see him next week.  Thanks!

So I am 4 days post op and doing well.   I just took 1 percocet at 9am my time after not having it since 7pm last night.  I actually slept through the night finally!  I am still doing well.  I am hoping to get out today and go watch some tennis.  I probably won't stay for very long though...I just can't wait to get out and see people!!  Have a good one!
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline smkelly4kds

• Forum Faithful
  • Longing for a new knees!
    • Melissa's Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 05:35:49 PM »
Good to hear you are doing well.  I willbe having my Fulk. on the 21.  My OS requires a 3 day hospital stay...yea!  Anyway good to hear you are doing well.  Make sure you don't over do it
when you get out.

Aug 2007 - dislocation Rt knee-PT no improvement
Jan 08 TTT (Fulkerson)  Rt knee
Scope 6/08 LT Knee- debridgement medial femoral condyle w/stedman picking, part. lateral menisectomy
July 22 started 1st round of synvisc heading for 5 total....so far working!
Still having pain w/TTT knee pain

brianne

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 05:39:57 PM »
Yes, I have had two Fulkersons and a revision to the right knee with a different version of the TTT.  I am having my left knee revised in March.  As far as a flat trochlear groove, this has been noted, but my OS said that it is a common problem and other procedures will be able to fix my stability.

I would focus on recovery from this surgery first.  Its a long recovery from a Fulkerson and so even if you were a good canidate for a trocheoplasty, you would not want to have it done for at least 6-12 months so you could let things heal from the Fulkerson.  It can be easy to go down the slippery slope of surgery and then you are too far in and there is no going back.  Everyone has abnormalities in their bodies than can create problems for them, its just a matter of is the risk of correcting the abnormality worth it.  So with that said, my advice is to allow the Fulkerson time to heal and see how well that goes.  You might find enough relief from that and not want to risk further surgery.

Good luck with your recovery

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 11:56:19 PM »
Thanks for your advice!  I am focusing on recovering on this first!!  I feel like I am kicking butt.  I still can't use my muscles very well, but I am working on it.  I am sticking to the CPM 6 hrs a day and my therapy exercises.  My pain is pretty tolerable.  I went out to watch some tennis today, and it was fun.  My leg wasn't elevated enough, so I couldn't stay for too long.  I am following instructions perfectly!  I hope I get better quickly and can get back to my normal mobility.  That is my goal, and I am striving for it big time!!!  In my last surgery I wasn't so focused, but I still followed directions.  I guess it just wasn't a big deal before.

smkelly4kds:  It sucks that you have to stay in the hospital for 3 days!!  Why is that?  Mine was just an outpatient procedure.  It was nice to be home in the same day!!!  I did have some embarassing moments at the surgery center first, but no big deal.  I am sure they are used to it.  I was pretty awake and alert right out of recovery.  I made phone calls and e-mails the entire evening of.  I was able to get around with my crutches and everything.  Anyway, good luck on yours!! I'd be anxious to see your progress once you have yours done.  Thanks for the posts!!
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 11:57:10 PM »
brianne:  What is a fulkerson revision?  What is the purpose?  Did it not work right the first time?
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

brianne

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 12:20:37 AM »
There are many types of TTT's with the Fulkerson being just one of them.  The type of TTT depends on the problems in your knee.  After my first TTT's it was discovered that I have Patella Alta and that means my patellas were too high on my femur, so my TTT was revised.  It is not common to need a TTT revised.  This is part of the reason why I went to my new OS...who is the coolest ever! :)

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 02:27:44 AM »
Thanks for clearing that up :)

So today was PO day 4.  I am doing well!!  Not in too much pain!!  I changed my dressings today and was able to see the damage for the first time since Thursday.  The swelling has gone down, but the bruising is a lot worse.  I don't care as long as I am feeling okay and can get through my CPM machine and PT exercises without much problem.  I am trying not to take a percocet tonight.  I am contemplating breaking one in half if I do have any discomfort during the night.  I have confidence that I should be okay.  It's definately nice to be able to relax at home without being in too much pain!  It is like a mini vacation with a few exceptions!  I am thinking about going back to work next week after going to therapy on Monday evening.  I sit at a desk all day as an architect.  I just don't want to have to make up so much time when I get back.  That is the worst thing while you are going through recovery....have to work extra!  So we'll see how that goes.  Anyway, I will be back on tomorrow! 
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 06:57:32 PM »
So it is the afternoon of PO5.  I woke up with my usual pain and stiffness.  I did end up taking 1 full percocet before bed around 11:30pm my time last night.  I did sleep for the longest yet...9hours.  I woke up ready for ice!  Today is my last full day of having my cryotherapy machine!  SUCKs!!  I am addicted to it big time.  It feels so good!!!  I will just use ice packs every few hours now.  So this morning once I got out of bed, I took the dogs out then iced.  The dogs were good until my husband left for a few hours.  Then they started playing and jumping up and down off the couch where I was sitting.  They are small dogs, but it still kills to have one jump right up on your bad leg and start playing!!!  So I finally got up and put them in their cages then began my CPM machine for a few hours until my husband came home.  I am scheduled to be at 60 deg on it today, but when I began I had to put it down to 50!  I slowly worked my way back up to 60 and it wasn't too bad.  I need to make sure I keep up with it though so I don't have to go backwards!!!  My mother in law is over right now with chicken and mashed potatoes for lunch!!  That was really nice of her!!  So now I am sitting with my immobilizer on with my leg elevated.  I am still trying to get myself to take a shower instead of a bath(with my leg out).  I am just so worried that water will get my incisions wet no matter what I do!  Anyone have suggestions?  I have pretty good balance, so I know I can at least stand up on one leg.  I am just concerned about my incisions.  I hope everyone else is going well!!

Farrah
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline smkelly4kds

• Forum Faithful
  • Longing for a new knees!
    • Melissa's Blog
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 09:52:23 PM »
Not sure why the OS requires the 3 days in the hospital.  It will probably be less.  I know I will start ROM the next day in the hospital. I am thinking they will let me go that afternoon or the next morning.  Although I hat ethe idea of being in the hospital and not at home I think in my case it might be good.  This way I can get a few days of peace (away from my 4 kids- don't get me wrong I love them to death) and can start the healing process without them hanging on mom!
    I have a week till my surgery.  I go to registar on Wed at the hospital.  Trying to do as much as possible to get my house and family ready.  Should prove to be an interesting few weeks and months!  hope you are mending well!
melissa :D
Aug 2007 - dislocation Rt knee-PT no improvement
Jan 08 TTT (Fulkerson)  Rt knee
Scope 6/08 LT Knee- debridgement medial femoral condyle w/stedman picking, part. lateral menisectomy
July 22 started 1st round of synvisc heading for 5 total....so far working!
Still having pain w/TTT knee pain

Offline chromolume7

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 10:41:51 PM »
Farrah,

For the first week or so post op, I used plastic wrap to keep the incision dry if I wasn't planning on changing the dressing.  When I was changing the dressing, I left the incision open (rather, covered in the steri-strips) and let it get wet.  The steri-strips stayed on without a problem.  I tried to avoid getting soap in the area, then patted everything dry immediately post-shower.  That worked pretty well for me.

-Lauren

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 10:55:31 PM »
smkelly4kds:  Your doctor probably does have you stay in the hospital b/c of your family!!  I only have a husband and two little dogs to deal with.  That is manageable!  In the hospital, pain control is probably easier too!!  They probably will keep you on some better stuff than I have!!  Before my surgery, I also cleaned up a ton around the house.  I made sure all of my laundry was done so I wouldn't have to trouble my husband with it!!  One less thing to worry about.  Good luck with your surgery!

chromolume7:  Thanks for the advice on the plastic wrap.  I will try that.  I can't wait to take a shower.  I am sure my husband will help me!  I still have to keep my incisions covered and dry until I see my doctor on Friday.  So I will trust the plastic wrap!!  Thanks so much!

So I am towards the end of my PO5.  Today was an okay day.  I am trying really hard not to take my pain meds.  So I have been off and on pain all day.  It's just an achy kind of pain that is just annoying.  I can't get comfortable anywhere I sit.  The CPM machine is starting to drive me up the wall too!  I am tired of sitting there for 2 hrs so many times during the day!  There is never anything good on tv!  My good channels are in the living room.  I usually take a nap while doing it, but I didn't fall asleep today.  Probably b/c it hurt a little more than usual.  I am afraid of going up to 65deg tomorrow!! 
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 12:46:54 AM »
Okay...so one more post to get my mind off my pain.  It ended up being a more painful evening than I had hoped for.  I took a percocet hours before bed b/c I was tired of feeling it!!  I can't get comfortable and my ice didn't really help nor did my electrotherapy.  I am scared to death of PT tomorrow!!  We'll see how it goes. Sorry to sound so negative!!  This is just the most pain since PO1 or 2.  I thought I was home free with pain!!  Oh well!!  Talk tomorrow!
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D

support