Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: acl, pcl, medial meniscus and medial ligament repair  (Read 1173 times)

Offline kneesup

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
acl, pcl, medial meniscus and medial ligament repair
« on: January 08, 2008, 03:06:00 PM »
Hi there,
I see a lot of posts about acl repair, but there doesn't seem to be much about acl and pcl repair.  I am due for both to be fixed at the end of March. 
I see my surgeon on Thursday and find out if he is also fixing the medial meniscus and medial ligament whilst he is there. (whole knee a bit worse for wear!)
He keeps telling me it is a big op, which I am well aware of, but I am surprised how few people here mention both being done together.
Any advice?  Or can you point me in the direction of a thread or two to help me out.

Many Thanks
right knee arthroscope 1991 - clean up
left knee pcl rupture grade 11- 1996
left acl snapped - 1998
left knee aclr 2002 (no repair to pcl) patella tendon graft, pinned in. 
Since - medial twice, cartlidge twice and generally tweaked everything available to do in one knee.
Waiting for pcl repair

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
Re: acl, pcl, medial meniscus and medial ligament repair
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 03:19:18 PM »
I don't think it is often done all together. Try searching in the Cruciates Board for PCL and see what it throws up!

How did you manage to blow both along with the meniscus and MCL?

Doesn't sound much fun whatever they do though. At least you'll find lots of support amongst the Cruciates people - we do tend to be a bit mad though now and again.

Where are you based?

Sue  :o in Germany

(I sign like that as there are a lot of Sues on this board!)
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline kneesup

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 03:43:51 PM »
Ok will do, thanks.
I did the pcl first playing rugby, then the acl in a warm up two years later, (although he thinks I must have pinched the acl at the same time as the pcl but it didn't show on the mri) He repaired the acl, but left the pcl.  But over the years, the weak pcl has meant that the rest of my knee has steadily fallen by the wayside.  This latest time was slipping on ice.  (My biggest fear!)  So stupid too, but now I have damaged it to the point where it needs fixed, he hopefully can't avoid it anymore!!  Thursday will be the tell all day.
I'll check out the Cruciates board a bit more. 

Based in Edinburgh. 

Thanks for the message
right knee arthroscope 1991 - clean up
left knee pcl rupture grade 11- 1996
left acl snapped - 1998
left knee aclr 2002 (no repair to pcl) patella tendon graft, pinned in. 
Since - medial twice, cartlidge twice and generally tweaked everything available to do in one knee.
Waiting for pcl repair

Offline billythehamster

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 06:38:36 PM »
Hi normally the surgeon will repair the meniscus and wait around three months before doing any further work. In that 3 month period you need to undergo physio to recover from the op. If the meniscus is beyond repair (like mine) they trim it and will do any other work at the same time.

support