Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: any advice?  (Read 4874 times)

Offline Pumpkin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
any advice?
« on: January 08, 2008, 01:29:41 AM »
Hi everyone!

I am 26 years old and was just diagnosed with Hypermobility syndrome and SI dysfunction by a rheumatologist.  I am sad, but willing to do everything to feel better.  I am going to go to physical therapy two times a week for four weeks.  I am also going to be joining a gym.  My question is this, what things should I avoid doing at the gym and what things in your experience have been helpful?  Running is definitely out of the question for me.  Thank you!

-Alexandra

Offline hkay1

• Regular Poster
Re: any advice?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 11:21:55 AM »
Cycling is good.  Any exercise that avoids pounding and gravity are excellent.   I love swimming too but shoulders can give problems over time so I have a problem with swimming.   I would pick a recumbent cycle rather than an upright one.  Its better on your back and hips.     You also want to really work your quads heavily.    Wall squats with or without a ball are excellent.   
Left ACL June 2007;
Removal of ACL Screw, drainage and debridement due to "reaction" subsequent staph infection - Feb 2007
Left Posterolateral Corner Reconstruction and ACL October 2006;
Left ACL June 2006;
Left ACL July 2001;
Left Miniscus Repair 2003;
Arthroscopy and Lat Release L&R 1988

Offline sailchic

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 10:43:02 PM »
I have good luck with eliptical trainers... Swimming is always good, but as a former(my shoulder actually has more permenant damage than my knees and it was caused by swimming and not paying attention to pain) swimmer, it's worth making sure that you're using proper technique or else you'll end up with a lot more stress on your joints than is necessary. I If you have issues with your knees stay away from breast stroke kick as the whipping motion can be problematic. 

Good Luck

Liz
11/02 L LR, Medial Reefing,
9/05 L TTT, Medial Reefing
9/06 L unscrewed, LR repair
12/07 L TTT revision
12/08 L unscrewed
12/09 R TTT
5/10 R unscrewed

9/11 L MPFL & LPFL repair, VMO adv. -- "global tightening"

EDS Classical Type

Offline Pumpkin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 12:28:34 AM »
Thank you!  Unfortunately the gym I will be joining does not have a swimming pool.  The cycling and elliptical training sounds great, and I think I will start with that.  I really appreciate your advice.

-Alexandra

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 07:20:06 AM »
Hi Alexandra,

I also have loose ligaments and find clinical pilates really good. As long as I do regular exercise I feel pretty good. I combine my pilates sessions with a couple of gym sessions and also go to the pool. I had a shoulder operation in May and am just able to start swimming again. Cycling is great too.

All the best !!  :D
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline sarahh

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 10:27:59 PM »
Hi Alexandra and welcome to the boards. I too have Hypermobility Syndrome. The key is to over do things and try and avoid things that end up pounding the knees etc. I hope going to the gym helps you.

Sarah x
Dyspraxia Diagonsed age 5, Hypermobility Sydrome Diagnosed December 1999, Unknown Auto-immune Diease September 2007

Offline hockey_moo

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 10:13:11 PM »
Hi there

Just make sure you stay away from leg extensions (where you sit with the bar in front of your ankles and you straighten your leg)...... those are horrible on the knees.  Stick with building your quads with the squat machines where you can sit and push out in front of you.

~ 10 years of constant subluxations
Dec. 2006 - LR/Quadplasty/microfracture
Fall 2007 - Synvisc injections
Nov. 2008 - Scope/microfracture
Apr. 2009 - Fulkerson's Osteotomy

support