Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: RSD in the Knee, Side Effects of MUA?  (Read 2994 times)

Offline JanG52

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
RSD in the Knee, Side Effects of MUA?
« on: January 05, 2008, 04:48:12 PM »
Three months ago, I had a benign tumor removed from my right femur just above the knee. The operation did not involve the knee however after 10 days on the CPM machine I developed RSD (Reflexive Sympathetic Dystrophy). My knee and lower leg swelled up and turned red. At the time I could bend the knee to 60 degrees, however in four days I was unable to bend the knee and it felt tight and very painful.

Over the span of four weeks, I had four neural lumbar pain blocks and have been taking 600mg of Neurontin 3 x a day, and 20mg of Oxycodine 2 x a day. I still have some swelling in my knee, and I am still unable to bend my knee. Physical therapy has been limited due to the RSD. I have adhesions in the knee that can be seen, one attached to my patella and the other attached to the incision of the surgery. These adhesions prevent any movement of the knee. I am also still in a great deal of pain this long after the initial surgery.

Has anyone experienced MUA (Manipulation Under Anesthesia) while still having an active case of RSD?

What would you suggest as the next step? My knee doctor and pain doctor want me to undergo the MUA operation. My physical therapy can only go so far because I am limited by the adhesions and immense pain. I would greatly appreciate any advice as to whether or not I should undergo this surgery while still having an active case of RSD, as I do not want the RSD to become worsened.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: RSD in the Knee, Side Effects of MUA?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 04:56:26 PM »
Would this MUA involve scope to clean out scar tissue or only MUA ?
If you have surgery during when you have RSD as long as pain are controlled after you should have no problems with getting worse with the RSD.
What are they thinking of to control the pain after and will you be hooked to a CPM ?
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline JanG52

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 05:25:38 PM »
Thank you for your response.
The MUA that my doctor wants to perform would not involve a scope, it would only be MUA. I would have an epidural for three days while being on a CPM. No one has explained what pain management I will be under after the surgery, which is why I am very concerned about worsening the RSD. Do you have any ideas about what pain management would be best to keep the RSD at bay? What should I ask for? Any advice you can share is greatly appreciated.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 05:31:48 PM »
I would guess that the epidural is enough to control pain. Though make sure that pain is controlled when epidural is taken off and before going home.
Is the pain controlled good right now ?
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.

Offline JanG52

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 07:14:14 PM »
My main concern is after the surgery, with the RSD. The surgery itself will cause trauma and after the epidural has been taken off, what is to stop the RSD from flaring up? I am afraid that pain control will not be enough to stop the RSD from worsening due to the trauma. What are your thoughts on this?

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 05:50:44 AM »
I wouldn't worry, cause when they are aware of this your pain will be controlled by meds after the epidural is taken away.
Express your worries to your OS and pain doc and have a serious chat with them.

Offline fitnesskitty

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • "Nothing in this world worth having comes easy..."
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 08:10:43 PM »
Hello,

I had a lysis of adhesions (LOA) through arthroscopic surgery before my MUA (this surgery was scheduled after complications from a surgery I had in August to realign my patella, remove bone fragments and repair a tendon), and it was very successful, so far, knock on wood. :-)  I do not have RSD so I cannot relate to that, but I think the scope to clean out the scar tissue is a good idea.  My OS said it makes the MUA a less traumatic procedure.  I am 2 months and 8 days post op and I have gone from 20 degrees of flexion on the day of my LOA/MUA to 134 degrees now.  I got 80 degrees the day after the surgery and 90 three days later.  I have gained at least 5 degrees per week, if not more since the surgery, till I hit 130 degrees, then I plateaued for a few sessions and then I gained 1 degree and then 3 more at my session yesterday, and it was just me doing heel slides then pulling my leg in for the final degrees of flexion.  I only lack a few degrees from my other leg and 134 is fully functional.  Really, 120 is functional.  Anyway, I wish you all the best of luck in whatever you decide to have done and I hope you have a fast and smooth recovery.

Take care!

Sarah
Aug 17 07 Injured
Aug 23 07 Open surgeryOct 18 07 No progress made at PT for awhile - stuck 52/53 degrees
Oct 23 07 Saw OS, wants second opinion from partner-ROM stuck 30-35
Nov 1, LR, LOA, MUA
PT 2X/week now, was 3X
Jan 8: ROM 134
Rest In Peace, Lucky! I love and miss you so much!!!!!!!!

support