Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Running and Osteoarthritis  (Read 80461 times)

Offline runlolarun

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Running and Osteoarthritis
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2010, 05:43:25 PM »

Offline softailtom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2010, 11:40:38 PM »
Thanks for posting that Lorien he is one determined man.
                                                           Tommy                                 

Offline mmrocker13

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2010, 05:19:13 PM »
I'm with ya ;-)
89: Pat. dislocation, lat. meniscus tear, femoral OCD lesion
89: debridement, chondroplasty, lateral partial menisectomy
02: partial lat. menisc., debride
02: mfx
09: subtotal menisc., debride, c'plasty
10: scope/debride
10: varus DFO
13: HWR
15: total menisc., debride, c'plasty, notchplasty

Offline north_north_west

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2011, 08:24:00 PM »
Greetings all,

I happened to look again (after not having signed-on to kneegeeks in a few years) to see where this thread has gone, and it has certainly  persisted.  Perhaps this should be in the 'success stories' thread.   

I started this subject three years ago, and though things haven't improved, knee-wise, they haven't gotten worse either. I've still been able to run regularly once or twice a week.  I'm happy to see lots  of people lumbering along despite obstacles.   

For me, while it irritates the knees and it sometimes makes them a bit stiff afterwards, it just doesn't feel like it is making it progressively worse, and in the meantime, it is doing a lot of positive things. 

Dave

Offline slyguy1

• Regular Poster
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2011, 04:00:53 AM »
Hi Dave.......that's great that you can still run. I recently saw a high tech brace for knee on one of the doctor shows on tv and they claimed that it takes majority of weight off knee so you can run on it? Anyone know anything about it?

Offline ultra1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2011, 09:23:09 PM »
Hey Dave (north by northwest)

Just want to add that Im an ultra distance runner.....over 300 marathons and ultras to an extreme nature (100, 200, 300 milers). I had two meniscus ops in my right knee when 21 and 26 and Im now 39. Recently was training to run across the USA and I had severve foot problems which caused me to cancel the race and rest. I didnt run for a few months and my body started to 'unravel' my feet were bad, but my right knee became painful and unstable and it had the familiar meniscus 'catching' sensation.
I hoped it would go away, but it was accompanied by the old 'dull ache'. Ive had dull ache every so often for a while...usually when I forget to take my glucosamine. Anyhow I was diagnosed with lateral OA (mild/moderate), told to change my sport etc.
Obviously when youve ran for so many years its an addiction just as bad as giving up smoking i guess. Im in the eary stages of denial, but it has settled down a bit. But, I realise that hammering away on the roads without changing something cant be good. I switched to extremely cushioned shoes HOKAS. Its almost like running offroad.
Its hard to work out if running will make it worse, all I know is that keeping my legs tight from running takes away the pain....but I dont know if its wearing away faster or slower. All I can do is listen to the pain.....as soon as it is too much I will be stopping, but for now running a few times a week in very cushioned shoes seems to ease the symptoms

Offline casual runner

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2012, 04:38:41 PM »
Its hard to work out if running will make it worse, all I know is that keeping my legs tight from running takes away the pain....but I dont know if its wearing away faster or slower.

There's certainly no reason to think it would be wearing away slower...it won't. However, how your knees feel may be somewhat independent of how they are wearing away, up to a point. Everyone's different.

Offline KitKat74

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2012, 03:19:28 PM »
Check out Kangoo Jumpshttp://www.kangoo-jumps.com/   I used them for first time yesterday and no pain.

I had partial meniscectomy (removal of torn meniscus) and undiagnosed OA (OS stated I had wear & tear, but not directly stating arthritis).

My first and only time running after surgery (with just normal running sneakers) I had immense pain that night and a whole half week afterwards.  I did some research on sneakers and footwear that might alleviate impact and came across the Kangoos. 

I figured I would try them out (although they're kinda pricey- ~$250 with s/h).
Pros- no pain during or afterwards; rebound technology actually assists in developing leg muscles
Cons- you will stand out from others in track or park and may feel ridiculous; balancing on them is strange feeling at first
Neutral- slower pace (might have been from not enough practice with them)- I don't think this is a product appropriate for competitors' training except as a transitional instrument to go from injury rehab to full impact running

Offline accadc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2012, 04:46:33 AM »
Good thing this thread exists because I'm thinking of giving up running after recently finding out I have arthritis in the patellofemoral area.  Does being able to run without pain necessarily mean you aren't doing damage to your knees?  In my case, it wasn't until most of my cartilage was lost until the pain would force me to stop running.   Until that time, I was running quite a bit (60-80 miles a week for the past 5 years) without much pain in the knee.  For those of you that do run with arthritis (particularly if it is more confined in one area), do you get regular MRIs to monitor your knees to see it it has progressed?  Also, I'm curious if anyone has worked with a physical therapist or had a running gait analysis done to assess whether body alignment issues combined with running might have led to OA in the knees.

support