Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: severe calf pain, negative DVT  (Read 1431 times)

Offline Jessica

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
severe calf pain, negative DVT
« on: January 04, 2008, 06:22:35 AM »
My husband (who doesn't like to ask questions) is 1 week post surgery to remove excessive scar tissue build up and repair a crack in the bone on the surface of the joint following patellar tendon graft ACL repair.  He underwent simple arthroscopy for this latest trip to the hospital.  Well, the miracle happened...2 years of excruciating knee pain is GONE!!  However, 2 days ago he developed severe "cramping" type pain in his calf.  We went to the OS who, of course send him for a Doppler.  The test showed no DVT.  My husband is still in quite a bit of pain.  Any ideas as to what this is?  OS says its from fluid draining.  What does that mean?  Why does fluid cause cramping in the calf. 

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks!

Jessica

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: severe calf pain, negative DVT
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 07:55:18 AM »
A swollen calf after surgery can give you a lot of pain. Massage in that area could be helpful.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 01:49:04 PM »
This is very common after knee surgery. It happens to me every time. As long as a DVT has been ruled out there's not much you can do but wait it out. It will go away in a week or two.

Offline Aff

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 02:05:06 PM »
i get pain in my upper calfs one month out every now and again.  i had simpe athroscopy too.  the doc checked it wasn't fluid and it was ok in that respect.  i'm not sure the reason behind fluid causing pain but i presume it would be due to pressure around the area.

mines not as bad as your husbands sounds but it's a sharp pain which can happen bending down or twisting and the OS said he suspects it's the hamstring.  wierd but now i understand the whole leg is intertwined and any pains can be coming from anywhere else, even from the hip etc.

hopefully this will decrease over time and trust your husbands will too.  good luck :)

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 02:58:19 PM »
I too had pretty severe pain from my last surgery.  The os had me take good old fashioned aspirin every 4 hours around the clock for several days.  Also had me do foot pumps with more emphasis  on pulling to toes toward your leg.  Good luck.  Eagle

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 12:58:22 AM »
Hi,
I had severe pain in my calf following my surgery.  My OS gave me a very low dose of an antidepressant which was supposed to inhibit the nerve fibers.  I was also told to put heat on it and to stretch it.  Hope your husband gets some relief soon. 
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline Jessica

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 01:32:30 AM »
Thank you all so much for the feed back.  I've relayed the information to my husband and we are both relieved to hear that one, this is common, and two it should subside.  We are doing heat and massage and one asprin every four hours.  He went to physical therapy today.  They gave him e-stim, ultrasound, and deep tissue massage along with heat.  He felt a lot better afterward.  All in all, we are very pleased to begin 2008 without the debilitating knee pain he has been experiencing for two years.  (And it only took changing Orthopedic Surgeons THREE times!!  We finally found our "miracle-worker" in Manhattan!  If anyone is in the states and needs a fantastic OS, I'd be happy to refer you! 
Thanks and we wish you all relief from your ailments! 
Jessica and Mike

support