Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Foot Drop Causing Knee Pain? - Help!!!  (Read 3511 times)

Offline myonlybliss

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Foot Drop Causing Knee Pain? - Help!!!
« on: January 03, 2008, 05:58:59 PM »
Hi,

It has been quite some time since I've been on this board.

I have developed a new problem which either

A.)  stems from my knee pain/problem I have had for going on 10 years now that no doctor has been able to diagnose  or

B.)  my knee problem/pain has been due to THIS problem all these years

When i try to run now, I get foot drop.  My right foot basically goes dead on me and I can't lift my toes in order to run.  This results in a dead hard slapping on the ground which causes knee pain.  I suspect that I might have been doing this (to a lesser degree) all these years and that COULD have been the reason for my right knee pain/problem.  I have posted many times to this board with a lot of help from others about my knee problem.

I would just run through the pain as I have always done, but at this point i can't run more than about 5 minutes before my right foot goes dead on me.  Basicaly, my foot will not dorsiflex. 

I have been to a neurologist and had a brain scan (which was normal) and a nerve conduction study on my lower leg which was also normal.

I miss running a lot.  Who can I go see at this point for this type of problem?????

I live in the Atlanta area.

Thanks,
Brandon
"and from then on, whenever I was going somewhere..... I was RUNNING!!!"

-FG

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Foot Drop Causing Knee Pain? - Help!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 06:37:27 PM »
Maybe a phys that work with neurologhy damages could help you out.
Ask the neurologhist about a referal.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 114
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 12:02:04 PM »
Hi
You PMd me asking for my involvement, so I will try. I have read your previous posts.

It was not very clear to me in previous posts whether or not you had every had a significant injury, but I did not find reference to one. Please just confirm this - I would be interested in any injury to the leg, knee or spine.

Also can you give an indication of your age group.

Your previous posts mention the pain coming on after a specific time of exercise. I gathered (please correct me) that there was no pain at rest except immediately after exercise? I understood that after a period of exercise you found you had to stop because of the pain coming on - is that right?

You do not seem to describe exactly how the pain felt and exactly where it was when it came on. Please clarify this, and confirm whether it is in one knee or both, and if the pain is localised or diffuse, and in the knee or just 'around the knee'.

What I am getting at here is that this symptom of foot drop may be related to the knee pain or it may be independent. But if it is related, then one may be tempted to think that the previous knee pain was 'referred' pain, not originating in the knee itself but from a higher source - such as the spine. There are local causes of a foot drop that may also affect the knee, but let's just get the story clearer before exploring these.

If you can clarify these items, then we could all go on with the discussion.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 04:05:13 PM by The KNEEguru »
--
KNEEguru

Offline myonlybliss

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 06:04:41 AM »
Thank you for your repsonse Kneeguru.

No significant injuries.

I am 31 years old.

Yes - Basically only pain in knee when running or doing elliptical - although it still remains dull pain for a while after stopping (several days or maybe weeks - i tend to put more weight emphasis on left leg)

Only right knee - pain seems a little diffuse and hard to identify.  I do get "theater knee" when i sit at desk all day and leg is not extended.  Pain is kind of "around the knee".  I have had MRI's that showed nothing siginificant although a small piece of metal obscures the images.  Been to probably 7 or 8 OS's and several rounds of PT with no luck or diagnosis.  I have had back MRI's that show nothing significant as well.

Foot drop is a new symptom, almost more aggravating.  Because before - I could at least bear the pain and just run or exercise and take naproxen for knee.  Now - I can't run for more than 3 minutes without right foot (affected knee is also right side) going dead and not being able to dorsiflex.  This came seemingly out of nowhere after all these years.  Although it makes me wonder since this foot drop makes my right foot SLAM into the ground - maybe this biomechanics were causing knee pain all along? 

"and from then on, whenever I was going somewhere..... I was RUNNING!!!"

-FG