Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Pleased to be on board! Hopefully someone can help?  (Read 7304 times)

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Pleased to be on board! Hopefully someone can help?
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2007, 08:13:39 PM »
hi john!
glad you finally got the op done!
take good care of yourself and get plenty of rest!
keep us posted how you are when you feel up to it.
claire x
i had a motorcycle accident-landed on right knee!(mar 05)
...arthroscopy - 4th feb 06.
...VMO Advancement,LR+JMedial reefing - 24th jan 07.
...28 feb 07 i fell down 14 stairs.....more pain and stress!
...now at PT working on ROM and strenghening

Offline johnmac1979

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2007, 09:01:40 PM »
Hi all...me again, been busy busy busy, so just not had much time to get back online! Had five weeks off work, started back two weeks ago. The five weeks were hellish...stuck in the house for two then bored out my skull for the next three.

The knee... first weeks was hard going, very sore and very painful, but weeks three to last week were excellent....the best my knee has been since inital injury 9 years ago, and far better than its ever been after previous operations (3others)  ;D

The last week though has been a bit mixed...recurring swelling, a bit of grinding, pain and general discomfort. No where near as bad as it was.... dont get me wrong its ten times better... but i'm just worried that it will progressively get worse.

The key is to get my confidence back, and to get the muscle stronger. I see an NHS physio every 10days, and a private one every 2 weeks. So far so good but its hard work, especially after a long day farming! ::) but hey thats life!

I'm just over one inch less muscle above the right knee (op knee) as apposed to my good left one.... so lots of work required. Apparently my VMO (Vastus medialis, something???  :-X ) is non-exsistent, so i need to try and sort that out! I have Chondromalacia behind the knee cap and had to have a lot of cartilage removed, plus i had a nick out my cruciate. Not exactly major injuries compared with most on here... but a combination of poor previos treatment on the NHS, only getting physio for the first time last November....four athroscopies and nine years of limited movement, pain and constant grinding have taken their toll...not least to my confidence! And at 27 years old...i feel like an old man!  :'(

But, s**t happens as they say. Maybe i should book my knee replacement now, but i'm damn sure i'll need one eventually!

I have another appointment with my surgeon in December, so we will see how things go between now and then.

Thanks to all for their help and support!

Best wishes,

John.  ;)

Offline garth

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2007, 09:26:33 PM »
Hi John,

Its good to hear things are better for you now. Hopefully the grinding etc will clear up as your leg gets stronger.
I know what your on about with the exercises being a bit of a mission after work with things being tired etc. I've been working on the vmo myself recently. Mines definately there but the damn thing is a bit slow firing compared with the other muscles.

Good luck with the rest of the rehab.

garth
Knee troubles since 1997
Dec 07 - Scope, just a clear up.
Feb 09 - Plica removal
Nov 09 - Lateral release
Mar 11 - More done to LR and some 'tweaks'
Nov 12 - Fulkerson and possible vmo advancement, dont know yet!

Offline johnmac1979

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2007, 10:54:28 PM »
Oh well...too good to be true! Partial dislocation on Sunday night...... swollen like a balloon  :'(

Hopefully its just one of these little set-backs....knee feels okay other than the swelling.

Physio Wednesday morning...so here's hoping!

Even worse...how did i mange this new injury? running...cycling.......no!....rolling over in bed!  ::)

Offline johnmac1979

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2008, 12:26:45 AM »
They tried to make me go to re-hab, and i said.....go go go!  ;D

Well thats me...new year, new knee! Well maybe not quite!  :D

I have now been discharged from my physio...well my NHS one at least. She is delighted with the progress as am i. Some slight niggles in the last few months but nothing major. My VMO is getting very strong, i'm well chuffed!  :)

I am going to see my private physio once more, so he can measure the muscle and give me an idea of how its going, post op it was one and a half inches smaller in girth than my good knee.

I'm cycling and swimming frequently, and whilst running and kneeling...and most sports are out the window, i'm glad that the fourth operation seems to have helped. Not much of a life for a 28yr old.... especially seeing as it's been like this since i was 19yrs old, but hey thats life!

So i now bid you all farewell, and thanks for all the support and help over the past year and more. I hope everyone else is on the mend, though i'm sure i'll drop back in every now and then to see what's new........ Also for all you youngsters, i expect a knee replacement, at around 55 to 60....if i live that long! So i might see some of you in about thirty years time!!!!  ;D  ;D  ;D

A happy new year to all!

Best wishes,

John.  ;)

Offline garth

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2008, 12:35:48 AM »
Good to hear you are well and truly on the mend John. Hopefully you aren't getting any more dislocations now.

garth
Knee troubles since 1997
Dec 07 - Scope, just a clear up.
Feb 09 - Plica removal
Nov 09 - Lateral release
Mar 11 - More done to LR and some 'tweaks'
Nov 12 - Fulkerson and possible vmo advancement, dont know yet!

support