Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Physio causing pain at front of hip  (Read 1254 times)

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Physio causing pain at front of hip
« on: January 02, 2008, 03:50:39 PM »
Hi All,
Ive been suffering a strained tendon type of pain at the front of my hip - where my leg meets my torso. I dont know which exercises are causing it but I know whats aggravating it:

SLRs
Step Downs
1 Leg Squats

Im in such an amount of pain that I can do my exercises some of the time, if I stop exercising it goes away over a couple of days, but once I start again its back. I can feel the pain if I raise my leg while in a seated position or if I clench my buttock while standing (thrusting my hip forward). Also if I lie on my side and raise the affected leg (clam exercise).

Any ideas?
Tanya
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Physio causing pain at front of hip
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 04:03:11 PM »
Talk with your phys to get help.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 04:08:38 PM »
Ive tried - but the receptionist is like a bulldog - wont let me past the gate at all!!!

its been on going for quite a while and she gave me stretches that didnt fix it (its only after ive gone home and had some days to do the stretch that i know if its working), then they closed for xmas, and today they are back but the receptionist wont just let me make an appointment - just took my message and said physio would ring me back or schedule appointment if needs be. Havent heard anything back yet.........
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 04:16:30 PM »
Then maybe you need to be a bit stubborn and demand what you need.
Maybe crying would help...just kidding, but I am sure that you know what I mean.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 04:18:59 PM »
im planning on phoning tomorrow and crying :)
it drives me mad, this is the only practice where you couldnt just make an appointment yourself - the receptionist always insists on consulting with the physiotherapist then phoning back - yet when im in with the physiotherapist she always says 'if you need to see me earlier just phone' - catch 22 eh? im going to have a right moan to her about it when i do eventually see her.
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 04:23:44 PM »
Maybe changing to another place would be better.

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 08:55:42 AM »
Ive thought about that before Nettan but there are no other placs in Dublin with isokinetic testing machines and my OS wants me to stay with these people to continue with the isokinetic testing. Also they are the first place that have actually prescribed exercises that have produced any changes. They are a great professional practice, but their attitude with changing appointments or making a new appointment is very frustrating. The receptionist is just a horrible rude woman - it doesnt make for a pleasant call to them. When Im actually in the the PT is fine and she is very helpful - Im going to mention it to her next time, because she always tells me to call if I need to see her sooner or am having problems - then when I call i just get frustrated!!!

How are you doing these days?
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 01:05:32 AM »
Hi,
Sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble getting in to see your PT.  Do you have your PT's email that you could email her and tell her what is going on?  I also am having trouble with some of my exercises causing hip pain.  I have pain in the same place as you and also on the side of my hip.  Mine is so bad that it keeps me up at night and I even had to take pain meds so that I could get some sleep last night.  My hip bothers me more than my knee.  My PT has me holding off on SLR's for now because they are causing me more pain.  It might be that you have some weak hip muscles or are having some problems with hip flexion.  I don't know...I just know that my PT checked those things on me today after complaining how much my hip is bothering me.  My PT thinks most of my problem is due to my poor gait.  Good luck and I hope you get some relief soon!
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 09:01:36 AM »
hi casey2291,
I have a physio appointment this afternoon. Its her receptionist is just soooo rude and unhelpful that you feel its really difficult to get an appointment - but then she does ring back and grudgingly offer you one!!!
I think it might be from weak hip muscles. I do have hip exercises but they seem to target the outside and back of my hip - and this pain is all in the front - it really feels like strained tendons. Its the SLRs always start it off then the step downs aggravate it too - one leg squats used to aggravate it but not anymore. Im going to go over my whole exercise program with her this evening and try to come to a happy pain free meduim!!
xx
Tanya
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline DeborahinNC

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 01:13:32 PM »
Hi Tanya,

Another thought.  I don't know if you would consider or how easy it is to get an appointment but what about a chiropractor for the hip.  Our pelvic bones move so we can have babies but it is also a problem when the muscles get weak or like me I've been limping for 2 years due to knee issues and throwing off my gait.  I go in and my chrio works on the pelvis and spine for me.  Some relief from the discomfort.

Good luck today with the physio.  I agree, maybe an e-mail address would help or we could all just call the receptionist and really scare her!!!

Hope today gets you some answers.

Be well,
Deborah

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 09:27:24 PM »
hi guys,
thanks for all the responses!
well mystery solved. its illiopsoas syndrome (dunno about spelling), basically its like tendonitis of the tendon at the front of the hip - caused by overloading weights on SLRs. She knew immediately, and asked did it fade off if I rested from SLRs - and it does so Im do drop a little weight on them and instead do more reps or do same number reps but not let my leg touch the ground in between - that way i make them harder with the same lower weight. She said I must have reached my natural limit on weight for SLRs - every time I try to go past 30lbs I get the hip pain (ive weak hip muscles anyway).
So then she asked was it ok if a student came in on the session for teaching purposes - so i was like 'yeah sure' - he was a young guy - maybe 21/22. And she says 'ill do some massage on the area' and whips my shorts in sideways so I was quite exposed to say the least - i was glad Id shaved the bikini line I can tell you!!! Anyway some bruising later and then some ultrasound and interferential and I was sent off with instructions to rest for the evening and back to normal exercises tomorrow with less weight on SLRs. If it flares up again Im to stop SLRs til it stops and just do extra lunges or something that doesnt aggravate it instead.
She also checked my form on all the other exercises and gave me some adjustments to get on with in the next few weeks before my next isokinetic test - but overall said im doing as well as can be expected and just to keep it up.
xx
Tanya
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app