Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Financial help  (Read 4132 times)

Offline GemmaLeigh

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • suffering with my knee for 8 years. i'm only 20!!!
    • RoboLove Clothing
Financial help
« on: January 02, 2008, 02:50:41 PM »
I'm in the Uk and am unable to work due to my knee probelms. I am waiting for an operation which is scheduled for the 30th January. I then have quite a long and intense recovery before i will be able to return to work. I have been out of work for a few months and have tried to apply for some disability allowance or incapasity benifits.

I am unable to walk with crutches as I cannot weight bear and I cannot leave the house without my partner incase I have a dislocation whilst on my own.

I applied for both benefits and was told that I am not entitled to anything because I am not 'disabled enough' How disabled do you have to be? We are really struggling to live off of my partners wages and we really need the extra help.

Does anybody know if this decision seems right or has anybody been in a similar situation?

Any advice?
1995 - first trip to the doctor with 'growing pains'
1998 - xrays show left patella is out of place
1999 - first dislocation
1999-2006 - Physio therapy every week
Jan2007 - Traumatic dislocation
feb 2007 - OS suggests surgery
Jan 2008 - date for surgery 30th jan

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Financial help
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 03:18:25 PM »
Why can't you leave the house on your own ? Are you not able to weightbare on your leg ? With crutches you would be able to jump around with no weightbareing. A wheelchair is another option and you can always work in some way..you have your arms and hands to use. Sorry if I seem to be harsh. But I think all of this might be the reason why you can't be called disabled. For having benefits for disabled you normally need to have the problems for very long like a year or at least 6 months.
See if you can find any work to do over the Internet. I have some part time work that I do from home.
I have 2 damaged knees and a spinal damage. But my arms and hands can do the work.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline GemmaLeigh

• Forum Faithful
    • RoboLove Clothing
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 04:23:58 PM »
I can only get around on crutches. I know that i can do things like office work the problem being that where i live the only reception style work available is in hotels whch i what i've been doing for the last 4 years. Working in a hotel is never as simple as just using your arms and hands, which is why i eventually had to quit work after struggling through for over a year of constant pain.

I tried applying for some telesale jobs but nobody would take me on with an operation due that would mean i'd be off work for at least 6 weeks.

I understood that disability was something that was available to people with serious disabilities but I am completely baffled as to why i cannot get incapacity benefits as this is for people with injuries that are ongoing and being delt with?

I understand where you are coming from but i am also getting frustrated with peoply ie. my partners family, complaining that i must be able to get some kind of work. but i dont think they've ever tried to get a job whilst explaining that they will be having at least 6 weeks off within the next couple of months.

As for working from home,  I would love any suggestions for this as i cannot find a thing, but am bored silly and there is only so much i can do in a day with my own business.

1999 - first dislocation

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 04:32:59 PM »
This is temporary and maybe they consider you too young to need benefits. You have a partner supporting you and with no kids they probably consdier this is not enough for getting benefits.
When I was 20 I was on crutches for 2 years, had surgery..meanwhile worked parttime and studied.
There is always a way..or you might need to cut down on what you need.
Some people here around are in same situation as you but they also have kids to support. Look what income you have and live after that.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 04:35:14 PM by Nettan »
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline friendsfan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile!
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 06:14:17 PM »
Hi, im the the UK also and im claiming incapacity benifits because of my knee problems, bt incapacity is assessed on your tax you have paid in, or something like this. Have you tried claiming income support and if you cant claim income support could you claim jobseekers allowance? Im sure there must be something you can claim to help u,contact your local jobcentre plus and ask.   
5-3-07 injured knee-no ROM
2-5-07 LK scope + MUA
26-6-08-LK TTT and scope
10-12-08-LK MUA
12-6-09-RK scope
26-8-09 RK TTT

Offline GemmaLeigh

• Forum Faithful
    • RoboLove Clothing
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 06:30:05 PM »
Thanks,

I can't get income support, housing benefit or council tax benefit because of my partners income. I could probably get job seekers but then i wont actually be seeking a job until after my operation now so it seems doubtful.

I'm so confused by it all i've never had to claim any benefits before i've been very independant and hard working. It looks like we'll just have to try and live with what we have.
1999 - first dislocation

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 07:21:32 PM »
I think it would be pretty unusual to disable someone because of a knee problem. Nobody would be working if that were the case. There are literally thousands of things you could do. So I'm really not at all surprised by that decision. I've been on crutches 15 or so times throughout my working life. It's pretty inconvenient but very doable. I'm on crutches at work today because I  had surgery on my ankle a couple weeks ago.

You might want to just look for some temporary work for now. I'm not sure how it works in the UK but in the USA there are tons of temp agencies that will place you in a job you can handle. I don't know what you do for work but in the meantime, you might want to think about getting some training for a more knee friendly career.

Offline GemmaLeigh

• Forum Faithful
    • RoboLove Clothing
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 07:39:44 PM »
I think i'll give up on any advice for financila help it's just making me feel more useless and lazy. Unfortunately i tried working on crutches for 6 months but it didn't work, i was exhausted, in more pain than normal and having more frequent dislocations. I have tried to find work from home, but to no avail. I have tried t find work that doesn't envolve getting up too much but no such thing exists in a tourist town like where i live. It's bar work or hotel work or nothing.

I feel as if people think i dont want to work. It's no fun sitting at home on my own, I desperately want to get back to work and i will as soon as my op is done until then, as i said before i will have to look at cutting down our bills.
1999 - first dislocation

Offline glasgowgirl

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 08:43:43 PM »
Hi Gemma,

You sound really fed up and I'm sorry that you've had so many problems over the years. I hope that your operation goes well later this month and you get your life back afterwards.

I've been off my work since last May following a high tibial osteotomy and another op in November as an emergency to remove the infected metalwork. From what I read on here, sometimes I feel I'm not doing enough to get back to work sooner. I think what I have learnt is that everyone is different and I know that I cannot yet go back to my nursing job.

Anyway, what I wanted to say was that I have managed to successfully claim for Incapacity Benefit. I went on to half pay in December and my employer told me I was entitled to claim for that and also for Income Support (but I was not allowed that) My incapacity benefit pays something like 57 a week - which is nothing really, but helps with the shopping at least.

I really think you should be able to get some money from the government. I'm not sure if that is Incapacity or Disability Living Allowance. You should be able to apply for a Blue Disabled Badge too (not something I have done but you probably would be entitled as you can't walk far) The assessment for that has a mobility component and a living component - you need to check that out to make sure it is this allowance, but there is something available to you!

I recommend you phone your local benefits office - sometimes in the job centre - for advice. My experience is that they want to help you and can fill in most of the forms over the phone to speed things up.

Please don't give up! I feel sure you should be able to apply for something!

I'm lucky that I work for the NHS and my job is secure. It's a big shame that you had to stop work.

I hope this has been helpful and reassured you a bit or given you some pointers.

My final comment is that (in my opinion and no-one elses) sometimes this forum is fantastic, but sometimes it can make you feel worse or that you're not doing enough to help yourself. So take the advice you need and filter out some of the stuff you don't. And remember that you alone are the only one who knows your situation and what you can do.

Offline GemmaLeigh

• Forum Faithful
    • RoboLove Clothing
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 09:18:55 PM »
Thank you so much glasgowgirl. Your encouragement means a lot. I do feel a bit useless sometimes but i've tried all i can and i will go back to work as soon as i can but until then i will keep on at the job centre to try and get some help.
You've made me feel much better :)
1999 - first dislocation

Offline gaz

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 11:37:26 PM »
Gemma my DW has just had to claim jobseakers allowance and it all had to be done over the phone so it might be worth giving them a ring

also as you have said you have looked for work so you are actually seeking a job so why no try to claim, if your due for an op and will not be able to work its not your fault.  i am sure your not the first to have this happen to them.

i bet there are plenty of people claiming in your situation

good luck

Offline SuzanneT

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 02:49:01 AM »
Hey there, don't  take these negative responses too seriously.  That's not what we're about.  I understand what it's like not to work.  I am walking, but still in pain & certainly not strong enough to return to my job as a teacher.  There are not that many sit-down jobs that are easy to get to & easy to do once you get there.  I can't even lift a gallon of milk out of the refrigerator without additional pain.  All of us are different.  I am fortunate that my husband has been able to be there for me & take up the slack.  We are getting by on less than we used to.  Don't get discouraged.  I know that it is hard.  I am there for you if you need encouragement.   Suzanne
12/31/06 tibial plateau fracture (medial)
fibula fracture
patella fracture
(no surgery, long, slow recovery)
8/1/07 7 months, beginning FWB
8/1/08 more physical therapy to develop
               calf & quads
8/21/08 climbing stairs

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 09:25:47 AM »
Gemmaleigh I TOTALLY understand where you are coming from. When its a massive ordeal to even get from the front door to the car I can understand how difficult it is for you to find some work that you could do. I have a desk job - otherwise I wouldnt be able to work. Ive been on and off crutches for the past 3 years and like you I can easily dislocate on them.
When your in pain all the time it can be so difficult to do anything else.

I dont think youre being lazy or useless at all!!!!!!! Youre just in a tranisitional period where youre waiting on your knee to be fixed.
Dont fret.
xx
Tanya
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline kathat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Aussie, Aussie, Aussie
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 10:59:56 AM »
Gemma,

From what I have read on the board, there are many others in a similar situation, so don't feel bad about being unable to get work. I am managing to hold onto my job, but more through luck than anything else. If I had been on a different ward or day shift instead of nights, then I would have had to leave by now. I do not have enough qualifications for many sit down jobs, so I don't know what I'll do if I have to leave my current job. It gives me the horrors just thinking about it! Good luck with your efforts. Try not to let things get you down too much - you're going to need all your energy for healing.

Best of luck,

Kathy

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 114
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 01:11:32 PM »
Hi
Everyone's situation is different. It depends on so many factors.

My suggestion is that you call 'DIAL' (Disability Information and Advice Line) and go in and see them, perhaps taking with you a letter from your doctor regarding your current situation. They will advise you, and if they think you have a good case they will help to fill in the forms and send them off on your behalf. http://www.dialuk.info/
They have vacancies for volunteers, too.
KNEEguru
--
KNEEguru

support