Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Arthrosurface Hemi Cap Post Op  (Read 60286 times)

Offline rottenkid

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Arthrosurface Hemi Cap Post Op
« on: January 02, 2008, 05:40:20 AM »
Hi all
 I am 28 days post op, I have reach full flex of 141 degrees already. We are starting to work on strength now. I had a Hemi cap put into my femur 28mm this was placed right in the trochia grove. I also had a polyurethane button placed on the underside of my patella. My damage was caused be an accident almost a year ago now. The cartilage around the damage area was in real good shape so this surgery was a great choice for me. The surgery only replaces the damage cartilage my lesion were mid size 25mm on the femur and 28mm on the patella. Because of my weight 220, and age 44 this took out any natural routes like graphs or plugs. I can not stress to everyone how important it is to go into this surgery as strong as you can be in the quads. I had a few months of P.T. before surgery and it helped big time. There are only a handful of doctors that do this surgery, I was the tenth person in Illinois to have this procedure done as far as the knee goes. Less then 300 nation wide have been done. Europe has had good luck luck with this procedure along with the folks down under. I am already using a stationary bike, a tread mill and also some weight machines. So far so good I will keep posting on this section I also post in the  post-op section.
Have a happy New Year
 Rotten   
Dec 4th 07 arthrosurface hemicap and polyurethane button LK
July 12th 07 arthroscope torn cartilage LK
feb 6th 07 3rd degree sprain MCL 2nd degree sprain ACL LK
Jan 87" bi-lateral release RK
Feb 86" arthroscope cartilage tear RK
Dec 85 'knee drained RK
Oct 85" knee draied
feb 85" arthroscope Rk

Offline Skinnycatz

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • The Best Skinny Cat ever!
Re: Arthrosurface Hemi Cap Post Op
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 04:29:00 PM »
I now have virtually no cartilage under my left kneecap...they discovered this during my second surgery on this knee in August.  I thought at the time that my biggest problem was another tear in my lateral meniscus but that actually turned out to be small.  My femur is smooth...the operative report said "interestingly smooth".  Anyway, would I be a candidate for the type of surgery you received?  My pain isn't too bad but I am rather limited in activities...can't do too much biking, no treadmill.  I focus on circuit weight training but I really miss cardio.  If I do more than 20 minutes on the bike I have pain later and I can't use very much resistance.

Thanks

Francine
Diagnosis: CMP, torn lateral meniscus.
Meniscus trimming, chrondroplasty 2/14/03.
Meniscus trimming (lateral again) chrondoplasty 8/3/07
Grade III/IV Chrondomalacia kneecap
Meniscus trimming (tear in front of lateral) 4/18/08
Left TKR 7/15/10

Offline rottenkid

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 05:14:37 AM »
My knee cap is about 1/3 polyurethane now. Depending on the surrounding cartilage on the knee cap will determine if they can do it or not. The Hemi Cap is actually a metal button that is anchored by a titanium screw and that is in my femur. The polyurethane button is also made by Arthrosurface. To get a better idea of this procedure go to arthrosurface.com. Their is a list of doctors that do this surgery on their site. Hope this helps.
Rotten     
Dec 85 'knee drained RK
Oct 85" knee draied
feb 85" arthroscope Rk

Offline rottenkid

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 07:54:45 PM »
Doing great mostly pain free ,full flex and no swelling what else can you ask for? Looking forward to an active summer I have lots of lost time to make up.
Rotten
Dec 85 'knee drained RK
Oct 85" knee draied
feb 85" arthroscope Rk

Offline rottenkid

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 05:22:25 AM »
Today is one year since my accident that gave me m bad knee.(also been off work one year) Minor set back the last couple of days after a physical therapy work out my knee swelled up. I have been ice it and get electric stim at P.T. how ever it is still in flamed. Other wise from that everything is good.
Dec 85 'knee drained RK
Oct 85" knee draied
feb 85" arthroscope Rk

Offline rottenkid

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 04:53:59 AM »
Another month and all is well. I am about 40 days ahead of schedule on my P.T..I have only about 20 days or so of regular P.T. then its off to work hardening P.T. They have amped me up to about 1 1/2 hours right now and when I go to work hardening it will be close to 4 hours a day. Strength is coming along great and so is endurance. I am lasting 20 minutes on an elliptical and 20 minutes on a bike plus all the weight work outs. The doctor thinks that I will even be able to play softball this year as long as I don't over do it. So this thing really works folks.
RoTTeN   
Dec 85 'knee drained RK
Oct 85" knee draied
feb 85" arthroscope Rk

Offline rottenkid

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 06:37:42 AM »
Minor set back I tweaked my hamstring at P.T. a couple of weeks ago. Time line is back to what doctor originally said it would be. See I give it my all and I hurt myself, go figure! I am now kneeling on my left knee and boy does that feel weird. Hard to explain how it feels kind of like kneeling on a golf ball. Kneeling is painful but everyday a little more tolerable and squatting is starting to come around.  I still get an occasional buckling in my knee when walking but less and less all the time. Beginning of May I should go into work hardening P.T. That will be for five days a week at four hours a day. That should be a whole lot of fun. All you peeps with bad knees hang in there hopefully your pain will start to go away.
RoTTeN
Dec 85 'knee drained RK
Oct 85" knee draied
feb 85" arthroscope Rk

Offline rottenkid

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 03:50:57 AM »
 Five months post-op and I am moving on to Work hardening P.T. I was fitted for knee pads today to help with the kneeling which still hurts. Also have to have cortisone shot for I-T band issue. I would like to say everything is 100% but its not more like 75%. Still get swelling and pain from time to time and I developed a loud but cute squeak from my knee. It was nice to move on from regular P.T. I have been there longer then most of the therapist. (15 months). Since the surgery I am down 28lbs hoping for about 10 more before summer. Other wise from that everything is good. 
Dec 85 'knee drained RK
Oct 85" knee draied
feb 85" arthroscope Rk

Offline rottenkid

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 12:20:09 AM »
 First week into work hardening therapy and I come down with walking pneumonia. I was feeling a little sick and should of slowed down a little but I didn't. I am still going to therapy even though I'm sick. Doctor said I'm past the contagious stage. I really don't know how hard work hardening is because I haven't been able to attack it full strength yet. 
Dec 85 'knee drained RK
Oct 85" knee draied
feb 85" arthroscope Rk

Offline rottenkid

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 06:48:35 AM »
 Six days shy of six months post op. Coming to the realization that kneeling wont be in my immediate future. In fact either will running. I tried slow jogging on treadmill a couple of times and to no avail. Pain was almost instant on the downward motion at impact. Crawling on knees is no picnic either,trying to crawl on 2inch foam pad didn't go well at all. I get tested on June 10th for  work hardening to see if I past osha standards for my job title. The weight lifting will be easy kneeling tolerance will be a joke. This surgery got me past every day pain which I had a lot. But it wasn't the wonder fix I was hoping for. Would I recommend this procedure? yes. Lots of changes coming up for in the next few weeks. I will have to change jobs because of the injury and I will actually be going back to some kind of job for the first time in 16 months.
Dec 85 'knee drained RK
Oct 85" knee draied
feb 85" arthroscope Rk

Offline rottenkid

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 06:36:40 AM »
HI all,
 Monday will mark 550 days since being hit by a truck. 2 surgeries, 2 sets of MRI's 9 sets of x-rays, 7 emergency room visits, 5 OS doctors, 2 IME's, 3 case workers, 3 nights in the hospital, 244 physical therapy appointments, 390 days of work missed and 25 days of work hardening therapy. Monday should be the beginning of the end. Tuesday I get tested for work ability, the following Tuesday my doctor checks the test results the next day an IME checks them and hopefully both clear me to go back to work. You can't imagine what 17 months of being off work you actually miss it!! I regained most of my strength and flexibility but kneeling never came around. I keep telling my self that it will come back just needs more time. All in all I would say that the surgery was worth it daily pain is gone and I can do most things as long as I don't kneel or run.
 Take Care
RoTTen
Dec 85 'knee drained RK
Oct 85" knee draied
feb 85" arthroscope Rk

Offline JoniF

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 11:14:53 PM »
Hey Rotten,

Glad to hear you're feeling better and things are moving forward.  Good luck on Tuesday.

Take care,
Joni
1989 Lateral Release, debridement, and arthroscopic surgery - lk
1996 TTT, Elmslie-trillat procedure, lateral release and debridement - lk
1997 Debridement and hardware removal - lk
2006 Lateral Release, 2 meniscus tears repaired, & acl repair - lk
2008 Sev Patella Effusion - rt knee

Offline rottenkid

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 11:48:04 PM »
 So I get a letter in the mail from my employer came on Monday the 16th says you are to report to work on Tuesday the 16th of June. Problem is the next Tuesday the 16 in June is sometime around 2011. So like the nice person I am I report to my works main office go to personal and tell them that I am reporting to work as requested by workers comp. The personal director asked me for my doctors note that releases me and I tell him that my doctor has yet to release me. He told me that I can not return to work until my doctor clears me with no restrictions. My job entails me to kneel quite a bit all of you out there with PKR or TKR no what this means most of us have pain and or discomfort kneeling. I had taken a work capability test last week that had a total of 20 seconds of kneeling when asked to rate my pain level I said 7 to 8. So know the fun really begins they send me across the street to there company doctor their doctor reads the report and puts a kneeling restriction on me to last 1 month and I am to be retested at that time. I go back across the street to personal they see that their doctor put a restriction on me because of the test and tell me I can't return yet because they have no light duty jobs. HE calls work comp person and they insist I return back to work now or they will not pay me. This goes on for three hours of back and forth fighting between departments and finally agree that no judgment on my restrictions should be made until my doctors visit on Wednesday which is what my lawyer wanted in the first place. I took my drug test which takes about three days to come back so I can't work until then any ways. But what a joke a total of 5 hours were spent to determine my fate. I saw
1 doctor   
2 nurses
1 personal director
3 clerks
1 cop (drug test)
and 4 receptionist
They did this all somehow to save money!
Dec 85 'knee drained RK
Oct 85" knee draied
feb 85" arthroscope Rk

Offline JoniF

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 02:50:41 PM »
Hey Rotten,

Good luck at your appointment today.  Hope you get the news you're wanting.

Take care,
Joni
1989 Lateral Release, debridement, and arthroscopic surgery - lk
1996 TTT, Elmslie-trillat procedure, lateral release and debridement - lk
1997 Debridement and hardware removal - lk
2006 Lateral Release, 2 meniscus tears repaired, & acl repair - lk
2008 Sev Patella Effusion - rt knee

Offline rottenkid

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 07:38:01 AM »
Hey Joni,
 The visit went as expected my doctor put a permanent restriction on kneeling. The restrictions also included crawling. The restriction are once every two hours for no more then five minutes at a time. Well this went over great at my work since they don't have anything that is lighter duty for me they don't know what to do with me. My union says I have to stay in one of my union positions nether of which has light duty. So like Homer Simpson I am stuck between a ROCK and a HARD PLACE. As far as my pay they will keep me on disability to they figure it out.
Oh well whats another couple of weeks of work its been 18 month already!!
 Take Care
 RoTTeN
Dec 85 'knee drained RK
Oct 85" knee draied
feb 85" arthroscope Rk