Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL and medial ligament repaired  (Read 2713 times)

Offline brightonbuellbelle

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL and medial ligament repaired
« on: December 31, 2007, 12:32:47 AM »
Hi everyone
I'm new to the forum and thought I'd start with a positive story:

on 13 Jan this year I had a ski accident and had a suspected ruptured ACL.  Two days later I followed the Austrian doctor's advice and went to A&E with my X-rays.  They signed me up and started the process for getting an MRI scan - a 6 week wait in my area.

10 weeks later I had a rather woolly diagnosis from the locum but then a much clearer one from the physiotherapist - partial rupture of the ACL and medial ligament.

After several months of physiotherapy I am back to walking with no problems and am planning to go skiing again in March - with a knee brace (to protect against another injury, not for stability) and some preski strengthening exercises.

I found the kneeguru site about 4 days after having my accident and didn't start physio until about 5 weeks after.  I followed the exercises on Kneeguru from that 4th day and really believe that set me on the fast road to recovery - the physiotherapist was impressed with the strength and movement from the first session.

So I just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone involved in this site, for the exercises listed so clearly on here, the clear advice and information and to the NHS, and in particular my Physiotherapist Charlie.  Absolutely brilliant!  It has had a very definite impact on the speed of recovery and range of movement I now have in the damaged knee - things like being able to sit on my heels and squatting that I never thought would be possible without discomfort.