Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Fell and knee bent backwards!!!  (Read 4385 times)

Offline Noelia510

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Fell and knee bent backwards!!!
« on: December 27, 2007, 10:41:26 AM »
I was walking to my car and for some reason I decided to walk on my grass instead of the cement. Well, I ended up slipping and hurting my knee really bad. When my leg slipped, my upper body flew forward causing my knee to bend backwards (I can naturally bend my knees backwards more than the average person so you can imagine how far it bent backwards). As my knee kept bending backwards which was extremely painful, I felt something pop which was even more painful. The feeling was really odd, I felt like the top of my knee split in half and went to the sides. Almost as if my cartilage snapped in half and is no longer there. The pain was so bad that I cringe every time I remember this moment. I have had my knees pop about 4 times in my life so I know I have knee problems but this was different. My knee isn't extremely swollen and it isn't in extreme pain. It does hurt somewhat, more when I try to walk. I really can"t walk on it. When I was laying down and tried to straighten it, it felt like there was nothing (no cartilage) protecting my knee bones. It felt like my two knee bones were rubbing together painfully. I have it elevated and I have been icing it. I am scared and don't know what to do. I can't go to the doctors because I have no medical insurance. Does it sound like I have a major knee damage?  How long till I can be active again? Can somebody please help me??    :'(

Offline caren

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • here we are together
Re: Fell and knee bent backwards!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 11:40:14 AM »
You seriously need to go to the os and get it chcks out before you make matters worse

that way you know what you are dealing with and what damage if any has been done

good luck and let us know how you are

hugs

caren
Caren

Offline hoppytoo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Fell and knee bent backwards!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 12:37:58 AM »
I agree with caren. If you have done some damage it is probably easier to fix now than if you leave it untill it is really causing problems.
AfterI fell I had an xray and found I had fractured my tibial plateau and needed surgery to fix a plate and numerous screws plus a bone graft and meniscus tear repair. I had to wait a week for the surgery and by that time my knee felt OK and I was walking and considering cancelling surgery. If I had I would have been up for a full knee replacement in 2 years -- !! As it is I will probably need one further down the track but at least that is 10 - 20 years away.
It is hard with no insurance but best now than later when it could cost you heaps more

Best of luck. keep us posted

Libby