Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Wow! What happened??  (Read 1268 times)

Offline yuntigrl

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Wow! What happened??
« on: December 23, 2007, 11:52:27 PM »
I had ACL reconstruction almost three years ago.  Patellar tendon graft.  Things have been going pretty well until today.  I was on the floor wrapping gifts...on my knees, up and down and something in my knee popped.  Now it is really killing me...I don't know what to think.  It feels like something is out of place, but incredibly painful...

...any ideas??  I have some naproxin (anti-inflamitory)...and flexirol.  Don't know what to think.  Anyone have this happen before??  Kathy
Tore ACL March 1992
Fixed ACL Patellar Graft March 2005 (That's right 13 years later)
TKR Sept 08

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
Re: Wow! What happened??
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 02:21:25 AM »
Kathy,

There are a couple of possibilities.  You may have just torn some scar tissue within your knee.  This is rather self-limiting, and should improve with time.  Secondly, it could have caused a mensicus tear.  I would be concerned with this if you are having mechanical symptoms such as clicking or poping in your knee especially if these sensations are new.  If the pop occured laterally, your IT band could be snapping in your knee. 
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline yuntigrl

• Forum Faithful
Re: Wow! What happened??
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 09:23:46 PM »
Thanks so much...I appreciate your response.  This happened the 23rd of Dec and my OS won't be back in the office until tomorrow...
I don't think the pop happened laterally...but can't say for an absolute.  It has swelled significantly,  but with Christmas here and family here I haven't had the benefit to ice it a whole lot.  I have been wearing the brace I got when I had the ACL repaired which has helped make me feel like the knee is more secure...it's been a lot less painful...but then there are moments where it feels as though someone has stabbed me.
What do you know about plica??  A friend of mine suggested it could be issues with the plica.  My knee has ached off and on since the surgery, but I chalked that up to my age and arthritis.  It was bothering me a few weeks ago...pretty much when I was coming down stairs.  It got my attention a couple of times but went away. 
Thanhks again for the information.  I appreciate your response.  Kathy
Tore ACL March 1992
TKR Sept 08

Offline yuntigrl

• Forum Faithful
Re: Wow! What happened?? Update!
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 10:32:21 PM »
OK...yesterday had MRI..today appt with OS.  ACL graft is in great shape.  I'm sure you can imagine the sigh of relief on that one.  When he did the ACL reconstruction he took a good bit of meniscus, so no tears or anything like that.  Nothing else looked out of the ordinary for a 50 year old knee.  OS said there was bruising of the bone, which could take a couple of months.  He said there was alot of fluid on the knee, offered to pull it out...I declined, opting to wait a few weeks, since it will most likely return.  So, I'm to continue taking Motrin 800's, use compression, ice as much as I can, and baby the knee for a couple of weeks until I have to go back.

So, is this common?  Anyone else out there have this happen?  He didn't say anything about doing anything to maintain strength in the leg...should I be doing some straight leg raises, hamstring strengthening exercises?  While babying this thing I don't want to atrophy...God knows everything went so quick when I had the ACL recon.  I've done some already and it doesn't seem to bother me at all.

Anything will be appreciated.  Have a great new year.  Kathy
Tore ACL March 1992
TKR Sept 08