Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Can anyone advise on hot/cold therapy post op  (Read 886 times)

Offline HTL

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Can anyone advise on hot/cold therapy post op
« on: December 20, 2007, 06:54:09 PM »
Hi there,
I had a  bilateral arthoscopy 5 weeks ago, the surgery was to treat meniscus tears. I am doing quite well and have just started back at the gym. Unforunately, there is still some swelling on my left knee. I had my follow up appointment with the OS 10 days ago, he said he was pleased with my progress and advised that I continued with the ice therapy to get the remaining swelling down. I asked him about contrasting therapy ie hot/cold and he advised against it. However, the physio that I am seeing said i should use hot/cold and today at the gym, the resident sports injury therapist said I should use hot/cold. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
Re: Can anyone advise on hot/cold therapy post op
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 09:52:49 PM »
There is really no good evidence to support the use of contrast therapy.  The theory is that by contrasting heat and cold you would cause a pumping action from the vasodilation and vasoconstriction and this would pump the flluid out of the area.  I have never used it nor recommended it to any of my patients, but I know of athletic trainers who have. 

If you want to try contrast therapy, go for it, it can't really hurt anything just make sure that you finsh with cold.  Otherwise stick with ice.  You may also want to try to add in some compression while icing.  Ace wrap your knee and wet down the ace wrap and then put the ice on.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline HTL

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Can anyone advise on hot/cold therapy post op
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 09:59:18 PM »
Thanks for the advice AT I think I will stick to the ice only. I am using a cryo cuff so I am hoping that will provide the compression that you mentioned.