Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Brian's ACL Reconstruction post-up diary  (Read 17014 times)

Offline brian08

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • Pain is inevitable, Misery is optional.
Brian's ACL Reconstruction post-up diary
« on: December 20, 2007, 06:19:03 PM »
Well about three weeks ago i posted in the general knee forum, asking for advice on my soon acl surgery.  And now, my surgery is tomorrow!  Friday the 21 of Dec.  One of the things that i have seen here (besides all the love :))  is that im one of the few teenagers who are undergoing this.  So i've decided to write all about my progess, and inevitable struggles, especially to those my age, but also for anyone else who is interested in a developing "success story", because I, will make this a success story.  I also want to thank "fitnesskitty" Sarah for giving me the idea of actually writing a post-op diary.  My surgery is tomorrow at 7:30 a.m, so i will probably write my first post on Saturday.  Oh, and for anyone who needs my background injury information, here's my original post:

'hi everyone, my name is brian and im 17.  i tore my acl and part of my meniscus in the same leg.  however, the MRI didnt reveal the acl was torn so i only had arthroscopic surgery in August.  during surgery, the doctors saw that my acl was torn.i didnt have surgery right away so i can have it during my winter break.  so now after 4 months of arthro surgery, im having my acl surgery.  im just wondering if anyone has gone through anything similar.  im kinda bummed cuz i play soccer for school, and its my senior year and i cant play now. im just wondering if ill ever be able to play close to 100 percent.  please i need your help and support, thanks'.
Basketball injury.  Didn't find out i had a torn acl till during the first surgery.  Waited until my winter break for the ACL Recon.
Arthroscopic 7/07
ACL Recon 12/07
(Both right knee)

Offline riderdown

• Regular Poster
Re: Brian's ACL Reconstruction post-up diary
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 07:15:54 PM »
Brian,
I'm watching this closely, as I am right behind you!
Wishing you the best for surgery tomorrow! Tell you OS to take lots of pics for you, and think of your happy place before you go under!
Rootin' for ya kiddo! Let's both come out of this even stronger than we were before! 
I'll be thinking about you, and good vibes are headed your way sprinkled with a few extra prayers!

Steph (riderdown)
Don't forget NPO after midnight tonight!
Every person is the creation of herself, the image of her own thinking and believing.

Oct '07:complete rupture of ACL, grade 3 MCL, and damage to Meniscus, deep bone bruising of the femur and tibia. Probable Labrum/Accetabular damage in Hip

Offline debw624

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 08:36:07 PM »
Hi Brian,

I had acl surgery 16 days ago, and am already well on the road to recovery.  Every case is different, but given that I'm 50 years old, and that younger people usually heal quicker and better, I'd say that at 17, with your determination,  you'll do great.  The surgery itself is a piece of cake, and I had no pain after for almost 48 hours.  Things got sore for two days, but never really bad.  Now, I get sore after exercise, but it's the good kind of sore that lets you know things are improving.  So, very best of luck tomorrow!

deb ;)

Offline billythehamster

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 04:26:22 PM »
Good luck mate, I am based in the UK and love football (soccer), I am 27 so I have 10 years on you but I am hoping to get back to my best. I had my op on the 17th December 2007. The procedure with regards your meniscus is quite normal. They do like to repair that before an ACL recon. My meniscus was too badly damaged to repair so I had to have the damaged part 'shaved' off. I ruptured my ACL 18 months ago but never got anyone to look at it till Nov this year. A very stupid thing to do, I am not a very patient person but I have learnt the hard way to take each day as it comes and do what I am told by the OS and the PT. My personal target is a comeback at the start of the 08/09 season which in the UK is next August. I guess you are working towards a similar deadline?

Keep me posted on how you get on.

Offline brian08

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 11:51:50 PM »
hello im back and with two acls!  i had surgery this morning and i feel great and so happy!  im still kinda tired so ima make this short; tomorrow ill add all the details.  but im finished for now!  my OS said my new acl is beautiful!!  k till tomorrow!
Basketball injury.  Didn't find out i had a torn acl till during the first surgery.  Waited until my winter break for the ACL Recon.
Arthroscopic 7/07
ACL Recon 12/07
(Both right knee)

Offline fitnesskitty

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • "Nothing in this world worth having comes easy..."
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 12:53:31 AM »
That is great, Brian!  Definitely do fill us in when you have time! 

Take care and rest up!  Happy Holidays!

Sarah
Aug 17 07 Injured
Aug 23 07 Open surgeryOct 18 07 No progress made at PT for awhile - stuck 52/53 degrees
Oct 23 07 Saw OS, wants second opinion from partner-ROM stuck 30-35
Nov 1, LR, LOA, MUA
PT 2X/week now, was 3X
Jan 8: ROM 134
Rest In Peace, Lucky!  I love and miss you so much!!!!!!!!

Offline BigStein

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 12:57:12 AM »
Brian, I've got 20 years on you and I am feeling great a week later, so am sure you will be up and about in no-time with the healing power of the young! Best of luck and keep us posted.

Offline deez

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 01:59:56 AM »
Brian, thinking of you and wishing you a speedy recovery!

Dee

Offline brian08

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 06:51:38 AM »
hey everyone im back, i've slept four about four hours since i got home this morning, and my knee feels great, no pain whatsoever.  the only thing that is bothering me is that the brace is really starting to annoy me as i have never liked anything that cant take off.  just the fact that i cant take it off makes me get sudden anxiety impulses.  and im not even sure when i get to take it off.  do i get to take it off at night?  how about when they deliver the passive motion machine tomorrow?  thank you all again, ill be checking back soon.
Arthroscopic 7/07
ACL Recon 12/07
(Both right knee)

Offline BigStein

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 12:30:36 PM »
Hey Brian,  I don't have a passive motion machine but would imagine you will have to take the brace off to use that, so you will have some time out of it soon enough.  Other than that, I would leave it on until instructed differently.  I was able to take mine off after 3-days in order to shower but they wanted it on other than that.  I am a week out now and take if off to ice and when exercising and unlock it to drive and bend the knee when it feels stiff.  When do you have your first PT session?  They should give you some guidlines there.  Every surgeon and PT seems to recommend something different, so go with what yours say.  Overall, be ready to be in the brace for a month at least (that is the protocol my PT has given me anyway), although some of the time will be spent with the brace unlocked so you can still bend the knee.

Offline riderdown

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2007, 07:06:56 PM »
Hey Brian!

Glad you made it thru surgery so well, and that the new ACL looks good to your OS!

My Os says I'll be in the locked position for about a week, and then at nights and when I go out for awhile. I am to start my PT about 4 days post op.  I know what oyu mean about hte anxiety. The thought of being imobiliazed makes me crazy too. hang in there. This is a short stent, and you'll be out of that thing in no time.

Is your pain staying down?

KUdos! You're on your way to recovery!
Every person is the creation of herself, the image of her own thinking and believing.

Oct '07:complete rupture of ACL, grade 3 MCL, and damage to Meniscus, deep bone bruising of the femur and tibia. Probable Labrum/Accetabular damage in Hip

Offline brian08

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2007, 09:19:15 PM »
hey everyone thanks again for the help and support.  a PT will come around 2:00 PT to deliver my passive motion machine.  im not so excited for the machine itself unless i get to take off the brace!  haha i guess im getting used to the thing; yesterday i felt like i was losing my mind with this thing on!  today is a little more painful than yesterday, i can start to feel pain in the stitches.  overall, the pain is minimal however, and i havent taken any pain killers or medicine of any kind today.  the only thing is that i have a little bit of a high temperature, but other than that i cant really complain.  k thanks again.
Arthroscopic 7/07
ACL Recon 12/07
(Both right knee)

Offline billythehamster

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2007, 03:41:27 PM »
Hi Brian

Nice to see that everything went well. Things must be different in the UK, what's a passive machine? Like Big Stein they seem to have braced your leg but other than post op I have never had a brace. Just some crutches. Keep us updated with how things go.

Offline brian08

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2007, 04:44:37 PM »
a passive machine is a device similar to a bicycle, except you do the excercise sitting down.  you have to actually do the activity too.  just a question for those who say you're not wearing a brace, you think im wearing a big brace because i had an allograft?  my doctor said that i have to wear the brace six weeks after surgery, but i'm sure i can take it off whenever im at home or shower right?  anyways, my pain is down and everything else is good; going to sleep at night is the hardest part, just because im never comfortable.  neways, thanks again.
Arthroscopic 7/07
ACL Recon 12/07
(Both right knee)

Offline BigStein

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2007, 10:24:52 PM »
I think most doctors have people use a brace.  You will be able to take it off to shower and at times when you are at home but not all the time.  Ask your PT and follow their advice on when to take off the brace and when to keep it on.

support