Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: chondromalacia  (Read 1299 times)

Offline majkaelin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
chondromalacia
« on: December 20, 2007, 12:26:19 AM »
I'm new here, and have been diagnosed with chondromalacia.  I have had the "grinding" for about six and a half years now, but only recently has pain become a factor.  About 6 months ago I started feeling pain in my right knee, and I finally went to my Dr.  She ordered x-rays which were inconclusive and sent me to PT.  My pt gave me diagnosis, and strengthening excercises which I have been doing for about 4 months.  Unfortunately, we moved to a two-level house in October, and since then the pain in my knee has gotten worse.  I finally saw an OS last week and he gave me a shot of some corticosteroid.  My knee felt better on day 2, but now it feels the same as before the shot.  Adding to the confusion, my PT told me that my patella alignment and tracking were fine, but the OS stated that patella malalignment is what causes chondromalacia in the first place.  Does anybody have experience with this?

maj ???
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 02:01:31 PM by majkaelin »

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: chondromalacia
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 03:38:03 AM »
I don't have proof, but I feel that chondromalacia is in part caused by bad biomechanics, aka bad gait etc. Maltracking is also a factor, as is other injury to the knee. Rest is part of the treatment, glucosamine chondroitin supplements help some people over time (no instant improvements, takes a few weeks to tell if its doing any good. Exercises like biking are easier on the knee too.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
Re: chondromalacia
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 03:04:34 PM »
Chondromalacia is a symptom really.  Maltracking, bad biomechanics and trauma can cause it among other things.  X-rays are often inconclusive as well as MRIs.  The alignment and tracking can be fine, but there maybe some reason that the kneecap is getting pressed into the femur too much at some point.  My tracking was ok and alignment looked good, but I still have issues.  I also recently found out that my kneecaps sit too high on the femur and are likely rubbing on it at some point during flexion (bending).  Have your PT look at your gait and how you are clilmbing stairs.  Sometimes we do things we can't see and a little retraining can make a difference. 

Good luck to you.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

support