Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Recovery from Opening HTO  (Read 2967 times)

Offline duanea

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Recovery from Opening HTO
« on: December 20, 2007, 12:12:00 AM »
Hi guys! Just wanted to post results and frecovery from my HTO. Had surgery on Nov 12. At two week mark, OS put me in a brace and allowed 0-30 degrees movement. Went back to OS yesterday, Tuesday, 12/18, and OS said that I could start putting about 50 % of my bodyweight on my leg, and gradually increase as I felt like it. Also starting physical therapy tomorrow. Due to changes at my job and disability restrictions, I told my OS that I needed to be aggressive with recovery. After he X-Rayed my leg, he said that he was very satisfied with my progress. Said that the bone is healing well and that the graft material looks very good. He said that I appear to be ahead of the game as far as recovery time. He told me that when I come back to his office in three weeks,1/10/08, he could possibly take the crutches away and let me return to work. I cannot return to work until I can walk, as I am a police officer, but he said that he thought I would be ready. That would be approximately 9 weeks post op. I hope this encourages some who are considering this surgery or some who have just had this surgery and are looking for recovery times. I don't know if this is typical recovery time, but is sooner than I expected, so there is hope. Thanks to all who post to this site, as it has been a great motivation and crutch for me during recovery time. Hope everyone has a safe and joyous holiday, and I pray that each of you remember the "reason for the seaon." Duane

Offline Robin M.

• Forum Faithful
Re: Recovery from Opening HTO
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 05:55:31 AM »
Hi Duanea,

Glad to hear that you are making such good progress. Work hard in PT and you'll be fully recovered in no time. I hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas and a happy healthy new year.

Robin
Lt. knee- 6/04 scope and chondroplasty of MFC,11/04 Synvisc injections, 11/05 mosaicplasty, 3/06 scope,LOA and MUA, 1/08 degeneration entire knee, 5/12/08 TKA, 7/21/08 MUA
Rt.knee- 10/06 scope,,plica removal-OA, 3/07 HTO, 9/09 hardware removal  12/7/09 TKA 1/10,3/10 MUA, 11/10 LOA,partial revision

Offline knee-will-be-great

• Forum Faithful
  • Open-wedge HTO & ACL allograft done (YES!)
    • ACL Allograft #3 Post-Surgery Rehab/Wellness Diary
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 07:08:39 AM »
Hi Duane,

RE: Open-wedge HTO - been there done that.  It worked very well for me.  Hope it does the same for you.

Cheers from Knee-will-be-great!!!
Medial Menisectomy, 1 ACL Autograft, 3 ACL Allografts, HTO, numerous debridements, good now :)
ACL Allograft #3 Post-Surgery Rehab/Wellness Diary http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=37218.0;all
ACL Reconstruction VIDEOS http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=37773.0

Offline duanea

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 09:21:56 PM »
Thanks guys. I went to my firts PT appt this morning. I rode a stationary bike for 10 minutes, did light weight leg extensions, hamstring curls, and leg presses. No pain except for a little muscle tightness. I am PWB and did quite a bit of walking while Christmas shopping with my wife and still feel great. With lots of prayer and hard work, I think I will be rid of these crutches by my next OS appt., Jan 10. Oh well, just wanted to share my excitement. Thanks for listening. Again, I hope each and everyone a Very Merry Christmas and a safe and happy New Year. Duane

Offline Robin M.

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 05:10:20 AM »
Hi Duane,

It's good to hear that PT is going well. I'm now 9 months post-op from a HTO and so far I'm very pleased with the results. Keep up the good work in PT and in no time you'll be getting rid of those crutches. Merry Christmas!

Robin
Lt. knee- 6/04 scope and chondroplasty of MFC,11/04 Synvisc injections, 11/05 mosaicplasty, 3/06 scope,LOA and MUA, 1/08 degeneration entire knee, 5/12/08 TKA, 7/21/08 MUA
Rt.knee- 10/06 scope,,plica removal-OA, 3/07 HTO, 9/09 hardware removal  12/7/09 TKA 1/10,3/10 MUA, 11/10 LOA,partial revision

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 10:37:51 AM »
Hi
Glad to hear that you are doing so well.  I am recovering from HTO and ACI.  I was allowed to start weight bearing at 6 weeks post-op.  I am almost 9 weeks post op and am pretty much off of the crutches.  Still taking one crutch with me when I go out just in case I come across some steps.  I limp a good bit when I walk, but I also lost a lot of my quad muscles as I was completely NWB for 6 weeks and my leg was immobilized at all times except when using the cpm machine and doing PT.  I would imagine that my recovery will take a little longer than yours since I had the ACI.  Are you wearing any type of brace at all?  My OS told me that I have to continue to wear the immobilizer brace (I got to unlock it at six weeks post op) and that it had sometime to do with the osteotomy.  I have at least three more weeks in the brace which would put me at 12 weeks all together with the brace.  Just wondering.  Have a Merry Christmas!!!

LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline duanea

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 10:28:41 PM »
Hi Casey,
Yeah, I am wearing a brace. My OS fitted me for it two weeks post op. He set it for 0-30 degrees range of motion. When i went to my OS last Tuesday, which was five weeks post op, he adjusted the brace and allowed me 0-90 degrees. He also let me start PT on that date. We discussed being off of crutches by my next visit, which will be 9 weeks post op, Jan. 10. He didn't let me go to therapy before that, though, and I did not n\have a CPM machine, just allowed that movement. He told me that I was ahead of the game as far as recovery, that he was real pleased with the graft, and that I looked very close to the bone being healed. I told him that I really needed to be back at work by Jan. 15, for two reasons. 1, five of our officers are in the National Guard and are being deployed to Afghanistan the first part of Jan., and that will leave us undermanned. 2, my sick leave will be used up by then and short term disability is only paying 60% of my salary...He was concerned because of my being a police officer, but luckily I am in a Special Ops unit that deals with street gangs, and I can do a lot of Intel gathering and research for a couple of weeks, but department won't let me come back until I am off the crutches. He said that he thinks that I will be ready for that, but wants me to wait until the 11 or 12 week mark to return to training and regular exercise. I think that you are doing great since you had to have ACI also, your recovery sounds well. What kind of PT are you doing now? My therapist has me riding a stationary bike, doing light weight leg presses and leg extensions, and calf raises right now, but that was my first visit this week. He also thinks I can progress well since I don't seem to have lost much leg strength. I hope you continue to recover well. Let me know how you are doing. I know I get long winded on this computer, but I'm fighting boredom. Have a safe and happy Holiday. Duane

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 11:51:20 PM »
Duane,
I understand the boredom.  I'm going on 9 weeks now and boredom can be a big issue.  I am set to return to work in a week and half and I am actually looking forward to it.  Even though, I'm sure when I return, I will be wishing that I could just relax at home.  For my PT program, I have a very specific rehab protocol to follow for the ACI, but I am doing things like the stationary bike, calf raises, mini squats, leg presses on the total gym, leg extension, ROM exercises and some balance types of exercises.  And straight leg raises, except those are temporarily on hold due to my hip hurting.  It is great that you will get to return to training/exercise at the 12 week mark.  Just be careful that you don't overdo it!!  Glad to hear that you will be able to do some research work for a few weeks once you return to work.  I will be going back to work for 1/2 days for my first week back.  It takes your body a little bit of time to adjust to being back to work after a long time off.  Plus, I have to do a fair amount of walking and I'm not sure my leg will hold up.  Glad to hear that you still have a lot of your strength...I am jealous as my leg is really weak, but it is making progress.  How is your ROM?  I am at 90 degrees active and 100 degrees passive.  ROM is coming slowly for me.  My PT is only allowed to do certain manipulation techniques with me to protect my osteotomy and my ACI graft.  I was getting a little worried that I was not making any progress with my ROM but I have gained 2 degrees this week, so that makes me feel better.  How long do you have to wear your brace for?  What type of brace do you have?  Hang in there and I hope you are not too bored.   
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline duanea

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 12:39:57 AM »
Casey,
Forgive the stupidity, but don't know what type brace this is. I can describe it as it has two metal plates on the sides and extends from the top of my hip to the bottom of my calf. The metal plates are hinged at the knee and have clicker type adjustments that will lock into place. The extension is set at 0 degrees and the flex will adjust from 0-120 degrees. It straps around my leg with velcro in 4 places. Not very "up" on the lingo, though. I will probably get rid of it at the 12 week mark. At my first therapy Thursday, my ROM was 90 degrees, and 100 assisted. Hope you are having a good day. Gotta get, my wife is calling for supper. Write back! Duane :)