Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Is this swelling and pain normal?  (Read 2326 times)

Offline boyleygod

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Is this swelling and pain normal?
« on: December 19, 2007, 02:47:57 PM »
Hi everyone,

I had a lateral UKR at the beginning of Sept and everything went well. I am now four months on and find the swelling and pain is localised just at the top of the knee (centrally).

When I do the leg raises for my quads I have a clicking and discomfort of the patellar on the last inch of lowering, it is bad enough for me to be reluctant to do the exercise! Is pain in this particular spot normal?  I have had it in this place since the surgery.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Boyleygod

Offline DeborahinNC

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Is this swelling and pain normal?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 09:20:35 PM »
Hi boyleygod,

I am about the same timeframe as you for PKR.  I had mine the end of August.  I still have pain and am mildly swollen but nothing too bad.  I still use meds before PT since some of the additional weight exercises cause me some increase in pain.  The clicking - I would not think normal but you should ask your physio if you are still seeing one or your OS if not.  It may be normal depending on what knee they used.  I get clicking when I do hamstring exercises but not on straight leg or I don't know what they call it but when you sit and extend from the knee out.

I would check though if I were you just to be sure.  I wish you the very best, its a long recovery but hopefully for both of us we'll come through it just fine.

Let me know how you are doing, sorry had no specific answer for you.

Be well,
Deborah

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 09:30:19 PM »
I had a lot of pain above my patella after my PKR. I think it was the last place to stop hurting and it lasted for months. They move your kneecap around when they do the surgery. I've had lots of clicking after every knee surgery. My doctor and PT told me it's nothing to worry about if it doesn't hurt. Much of it will subside when your knee gets stronger. I'm one year post-op and all my clicks are gone except one on my lateral side. 

Offline boyleygod

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 10:28:44 PM »
Hi Debby & Jathib,

Thank you so much for your replies. It's nice to make contact Debby as we are obviously at the same stage, my op was Sept 3rd.
I'm glad that my pain above the patella is something you experienced Jathib 'cause it seemed a bit of an odd place to have it! I'm interested that it took some months before it went - I look forward to the day!
I'm suprised at just how long it's all taking to get better, but as my physio told me it is a major op and it is the equivalent of a very severe broken leg! I might have thought twice about it if I'd realised just how long it was going to take. I do worry about how long the part replacement is going to last - I can't face a full knee for a very long time!

Best wishes,
B.

Offline DeborahinNC

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 07:18:19 PM »
Hi there,

Yea - did you OS say it would be a quick recovery?  Mine did not but he did tell me he had a patient who played golf at four weeks - must have had really really good drug!!!  Anyway, lets keep in touch.  I'm making progress and do in fact have some days that are actually pain free and I have not been able to say that for two years.  I absolutely think this was the right surgery for me, I could not continue in the amount of pain I was in before and the OA was bad enough that there was no other option.  I also was lucky that I had a very good surgeon. 

Don't worry about a revision.  We are looking 10-15 years down the road and who knows for all of us it may be even longer.  My OS said that too me and I said I want comfort here and now and we'll deal with whatever in 10 years.  I know these make it harder for them to do a TKR but I'm also not worried about that.

I hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.  Stay in touch - we'll compare notes.

Be well,
Deborah