Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Regenexx injections - Stem Cells  (Read 223741 times)

Offline WestPoint

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Regenexx injections - Stem Cells
« Reply #300 on: October 01, 2011, 02:04:05 PM »
Thanks Scooter and Ashok for your posts.

You have both brought up the issue of physiotherapy. Since I have so much muscle wastage myself, that 4 week waiting period where we can only walk or ride a stationary bike makes me lose even more muscle mass. That adds a lot of pressure on my joint after I've been through that four week period.

Since I pursued the Regenexx technology outside of the Regenexx clinic in Colorado, I have not had the chance to be exposed to Dr. Centeno's and Schultz's instructions in these regards. Is there nothing that we can do in the way of exercises during this four week period to keep up the muscle mass, such as leg raises at least?

Offline rob wilson

• Regular Poster
« Reply #301 on: October 01, 2011, 06:23:05 PM »
Stem cells love motion. If we don't move they will actually die. I believe the only thing you shouldn't do is deep flexion especially with load. That should allow you to be able to bike with some load and of course leg raises are no issue.
1997-Bilateral debridement
1999-Lt knee trochlea paste graft
2000-Rt knee trochlea paste graft
2000-Lt knee scar
2002-Lt knee ACI biopsy+plica
2002-Lt knee medial condyle abrasion+HGH
2002-Lt knee scar
2003-Rt knee trochlea abrasion+HGH
2005-Lt knee plica
2008 to present-Regenexx

Offline WestPoint

• Regular Poster
« Reply #302 on: October 01, 2011, 10:19:24 PM »
Thanks Rob,

Apart from leg raises and bicycling, are there any other low impact physiotherapy exercises we can do during that initial 4 week period?

Offline rob wilson

• Regular Poster
« Reply #303 on: October 03, 2011, 06:27:48 PM »
I can't think of anything. Sorry.
1997-Bilateral debridement
1999-Lt knee trochlea paste graft
2000-Rt knee trochlea paste graft
2000-Lt knee scar
2002-Lt knee ACI biopsy+plica
2002-Lt knee medial condyle abrasion+HGH
2002-Lt knee scar
2003-Rt knee trochlea abrasion+HGH
2005-Lt knee plica
2008 to present-Regenexx

Offline ashok_guru

• Regular Poster
« Reply #304 on: October 08, 2011, 04:03:11 PM »
My PT is giving me some aggressive exercises for the last 2 weeks, Dr.Hanson is also fine with that.
After Physical therapy for sometime am feeling better, my legs are feeling normal but it lasts only for 15-20 minutes then all my stiffness, swelling comes back. Swelling kind of increases a bit and subsides after a day.  Is this normal ? I am into my 7th week after Regenexx-SD injection.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 04:37:37 PM by ashok_guru »
2009 - Partial Meniscetomy
2010 - Cartilage Debridement
2010 - 2011 - Prolotherapy, PRP, Bone Marrow Prolotherapy, Prolozone
2011 - Regenexx-PL, Regenexx SD and Regenexx-SCP
2012 - HGH Injections
2013 - Regenexx-PL, Regenexx SD, Regenexx-AD and Regenexx-SCP

Offline ashok_guru

• Regular Poster
« Reply #305 on: October 08, 2011, 04:33:27 PM »
When we can take MRI after these stem cell injections ? Is there a time frame that we should wait...
2009 - Partial Meniscetomy
2010 - Cartilage Debridement
2010 - 2011 - Prolotherapy, PRP, Bone Marrow Prolotherapy, Prolozone
2011 - Regenexx-PL, Regenexx SD and Regenexx-SCP
2012 - HGH Injections
2013 - Regenexx-PL, Regenexx SD, Regenexx-AD and Regenexx-SCP

Offline Sturge08

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #306 on: October 11, 2011, 07:11:17 AM »
Hi ashok_guru, My symptoms are similar to yours, in the morning my ankle swelling and pain levels are low. By the afternoon they reach an all time high, so much so I have to take my shoes and socks off to relieve me of my pain. By bedtime, the swelling seems to of subsided. I am 4 weeks post regenexx-sd and I was told I was a good candidate for the procedure. I wish i could believe it. Fingers crossed my ankle responds and starts to improve before christmas.

Offline Nature Lover

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #307 on: October 11, 2011, 03:15:43 PM »
I had my first Regenexx SD procedure on August 19th 2011 at the Centeno/Schultz clinic. My quality of life has improved so much. My right ankle was treated due to a three year hx of degenerative arthritis. I now have a 60% reduction of pain and an increase of my level of functioning. Both Dr. Hanson and Dr. Schultz are awesome doctors who care very much for their patients. My treatment results are far beyond of what I expected. I even can wear boots and heals again. I use to dread waking up in the morning and wondering how much pain I was going to have while walking. Now, I can't wait to get out of bed and start my new day.

Still waiting to see how I'm going to feel this winter. If needed I will make another trip to CO because I now have hope and Regenexx has worked wonders for me.

Offline Nature Lover

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #308 on: October 11, 2011, 03:24:06 PM »
Hi ashok_guru, My symptoms are similar to yours, in the morning my ankle swelling and pain levels are low. By the afternoon they reach an all time high, so much so I have to take my shoes and socks off to relieve me of my pain. By bedtime, the swelling seems to of subsided. I am 4 weeks post regenexx-sd and I was told I was a good candidate for the procedure. I wish i could believe it. Fingers crossed my ankle responds and starts to improve before christmas.
(I will keep my fingers crossed for you. I'm so thankful that Regenexx has taken away so much of my pain and I have hope. Keep me updated.

Offline Nature Lover

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #309 on: October 11, 2011, 03:28:06 PM »
Regenexx has worked wonders for me. Please keep me informed. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Offline Sturge08

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #310 on: October 11, 2011, 04:31:18 PM »
Hi Nature Lover

I have a 2 year history of OA pain in my right ankle. I am so jealous of your improvement, sorry if that sounds rude, but I want to be pain free too.

Sounds like you are a month ahead of me. So maybe in a months time I too will be able to sing the praises of Regenexx, but for now I'll just hobble around in pain.

Offline CPKnees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #311 on: October 14, 2011, 07:41:41 AM »
Hi everyone,

I've read all the thread (all 21 pages!), and I must say I'm amazed with the amount of info here! I greatly appreciate the time everyone have contributed to this thread, especially the ones who have tried the Regenexx procedures and have updated everyone on the results they got. I also was surprised that Dr. Centeno and Dr. Schultz even took time to post on this forum and answer questions.

Quick topo on myself:

- 30 y/old female
- I started having knee problems about a year ago, it started in the left knee (ACL repair in 1998 which was successful). The right knee followed about 5 months later. It's chondromalacia in both knees (patellas and femurs are apparently not happy to cohabit with each other anymore it seems...)
- Pain is mostly a constant burning. I've had to limit my activities to the max to manage.
- Range of motion is not limited however (yet!)

I am interested with the Regenexx procedure, the main problem being the cost (well, that's obvious!). Even though this is a problem, I'm considering it because I'm very young, and I know what's ahead of me if I don't do anything (viscosupleance, cortisone shots, PFR and TKR).

For the moment, my doctor has suggested Euflexxa. He's an open-minded doctor who believe stem cells are the future of joint treatment. However, he feels the technology is still too experimental, and was of opinion that now may not be the best time to try it, maybe waiting a few years would be preferable (5-10 years minimum). He's offered me PRP instead or in addition to Euflexxa for the moment. But from what I've read on this forum considering cartilage regrowth, prolotherapy/PRP seem to have low results.

But thing is, I've come to understand that my knees will continue to wear out with Euflexxa (unless someone else has other information on the subject?). So if I wait to try stem cells later, my knees will be more damaged when I decide to try it later, so it will be more complicated.

For the moment, Euflexxa would allow me to get back to physical therapy, as I also have serious back problems.

Does anyone here know something about the following:

- Can products like Euflexxa (or Synvisc, Orthovisc or anything else) affect Regenexx procedures? Even standard prolotherapy or PRP?
- On the Regenexx website, they state that Regenexx will be available in other states at the beginning of 2012. Anyone has heard what those states (cities) are?

Thanks!

Offline Dizzy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #312 on: October 16, 2011, 05:59:52 AM »
Hi - I actually had Euflexxa not long before my treatment and was told no big deal. In fact, they do hyaluronic acid injections at their clinic.  In general, I think hyaluronic acid is thought of as being no biggie as its very similar to what your body already has in it.

No idea about what cities might have it.

Just one thing, I noted that you mention back problems - another good reason to see the folks at Regenexx as they are keenly aware that back problems can cause pain in the knees (nerves can be very sneaky). I don't know if you have fully explored the connection already but you might want to make sure that the pain isn't somehow related to your back.
4/10 running overuse injury/PFS diagnosis
6/10, 9/10, 1/11 PT
12/10 Euflexxa
12/10, 2/11, 7/11 Stem cell injections
5/11 to date - ART

Offline WestPoint

• Regular Poster
« Reply #313 on: October 16, 2011, 02:55:22 PM »
Thanks to Rob.

Dizzy, how is your treatment going? We'd love to hear about your experience.

BTW, I'd be interested to know if anyone can inform us as to how much healing we can expect once the first effects have been felt 4 to 6 weeks post injection. We all know that you can often really feel a difference at about a 4 to 6 week period, and we also know that healing can take place even around a year later. My question is: To what degree can we expect there to be healing after the first month and a half. Are we talking about a very small, almost unnoticeable amount, or does it just keep on getting noticeably better month after month.

Offline CPKnees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #314 on: October 17, 2011, 02:36:22 AM »
Hi,

To Dizzy: the knees are very "crunchy" when squatting... Especially the right one. Can't do that with nerves problems...

Noted for hyaluronic acid and prolo. Not very enthusiastic about it though, since it's not a permanent fix and it's injecting weird stuff in your body with a risk of bad reaction....