Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Regenexx injections - Stem Cells  (Read 224870 times)

Offline men-at-arms

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Regenexx injections - Stem Cells
« Reply #225 on: August 15, 2010, 08:28:47 PM »
Thanks for the kind words. I figure we're all in the same boat more or less.

I dunno about how "good of shape" I'm in. I've been told by let's see 4 or 5 OS I'm candidate for TKR once it is bone on bone that due to the fact a simple X-ray shows the gap where normal meniscus cartilage should be is so narrow now that the leg is not in a straight alignment. I understand that I manage to grind that down like a tire loosing air over a period of 6 month jogging from 6km~10km 4 times a week if I could maintain after the first OS told me I had patella inflammation and crooked knee cap bone and it was important to lose weight and did not advise me not to jog initially. The last OS wasn't sure how long I'd be able to hold off TKR but estimated I have but 20% meniscus remaining. Hence this thread and meniscus regeneration, collagen implants, meniscus implants are of interest to me.

The last thing I would want is TKR. The invasiveness of the procedure, the long rehab time and pain, the lack of durability of it, and lastly the fact that traditional currently approved medicine wants to cut away my natural knees thereby excluding me for all the new things that are being done, including advancement of tissue engineering is a real red light for me. Unlike my parents' generation thinking, my thinking is to question "doctor's opinion" and not take it as final & gospel.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 08:34:01 PM by men-at-arms »

Offline WestPoint

• Regular Poster
« Reply #226 on: August 26, 2010, 07:24:32 PM »
I'd be interested to know if anyone who has had arthritis and been treated by Dr. Centeno could tell us whether each lesion was treated seperately, or if an injection was made to the general area where the lesions collect. If indeed he does treat each lesion seperately, does he put the needle into the bone and make mini-microfractures?

Please enlighten us about the details of this part of the treament.

Offline rob8647932

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #227 on: August 27, 2010, 04:20:17 PM »

Best to ask Centeno. He can treat mutiple lesions most likely. 2 might be max. The protocol is to do a roughening up on a Friday and the Regenexx on a Monday. But that was the OLD protocol. Everything might have changed with the FDA Trial.
Left knee - 1997 debridement, 1999 trochlea paste graft / microfracture), 2002 IAGH injections, 2005 plica and synovium removal, 2009 Regenexx injections
Right knee - 1997 debridement, 2000 trochlea paste graft, 2004 IAGH injections, 2008 Regenexx injections

Offline WestPoint

• Regular Poster
« Reply #228 on: August 27, 2010, 10:32:53 PM »
I always thought that people with arthritis have multiple lesions, as opposed to a focal lesion or two. Maybe my understanding is wrong.

Sorry Rob, what do you mean by roughening up? Can you tell us more about the procedure that you experienced?

Offline rob8647932

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #229 on: August 28, 2010, 09:59:56 PM »
The roughening up was an injection of dextrose (like prolotherapy) into the area of the defect. This causes additional inflammation in the area that the stem cells naturally go to that injured area.
Left knee - 1997 debridement, 1999 trochlea paste graft / microfracture), 2002 IAGH injections, 2005 plica and synovium removal, 2009 Regenexx injections
Right knee - 1997 debridement, 2000 trochlea paste graft, 2004 IAGH injections, 2008 Regenexx injections

Offline WestPoint

• Regular Poster
« Reply #230 on: August 28, 2010, 11:10:06 PM »
When you say into the area of the defect, do you mean that the cells were released directly into the hole, or generally around the area of the defect. Did it involve touching the cartilage/bone area with the tip of the needle?

Were you able to see the procedure on the x-ray machine used? If so, does it look clearer than an MRI? Were you able to see your defects?

Thanks

Offline rob8647932

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #231 on: August 29, 2010, 08:26:43 PM »
WestPoint,

Yes to each question. You can see the needle on fluorscope as well you can usually see the defect.

Offline WestPoint

• Regular Poster
« Reply #232 on: August 30, 2010, 03:40:05 AM »
Thanks Rob.

Hope everything works out.

Offline Joost

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #233 on: September 05, 2010, 10:46:13 AM »
Hi Guys,

hope you are doing well. Just wondering if there is anyone who knows If Dr. Centeno's approach has results in meniscus regrowth  ?

Cheers.

ps: I am currently doing yoga and it has benefitted me a lot on the knee. So I would recommend this. It also benefits the rest of your body and is a great way to challenge yourself !

Offline Dr. Centeno

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #234 on: September 09, 2010, 12:12:39 AM »
For meniscus, see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18786777

We can treat multiple lesions, although this is on a case by case basis (extent of damage).  We have a good success rate with more severe OA, but the mechanism is unlikely to be fixing all the lesions, it may just be improving the stem cell turnover in the local environment (meaning we have stem cell maintainence of the joint that happens everyday, we may just be placing more soldiers on the ground).  For a better understanding of these types of issues and a more comprehensive look at what can go wrong with joints (stability, joint issues, neurologic issues, alignment), see the small book at http://www.regenexx.com/2010/09/dr-centenos-new-book-on-regenerative-orthopedics/

Offline gb

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #235 on: September 09, 2010, 01:20:36 PM »
Dr. Centeno,

Just to be clear, or for my own benefit, is stating that Regenexx treatment is capable of "treating multiple meniscus lesions" different than stating it can grow back a meniscus to its original state prior to partial meniscectomy (from say 60% to 100%) ?

I ask because I had a partial meniscectomy of my lateral meniscus during reconstructive ligament surgery of my PCL and ACL, and I've always wondered if Regenexx could give me back that part of my meniscus the doctors took away :(

Offline WestPoint

• Regular Poster
« Reply #236 on: September 10, 2010, 07:44:54 AM »
Dr. Centeno and other stem cell oriented doctors work is probably the future of medicine, but what scares me is the idea of going for treatment and being, for example, 70% cured of a meniscus tear. I would think that if 30% is still in need of healing - at least in the case of meniscal tears - you haven't really solved the problem; unless of course the solution is to go back for a second round of treatment (i.e. pay twice or three times until you are cured). Still, it's all very exciting and we should encourage research into this type of treatment.

Offline Saverio

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #237 on: September 10, 2010, 12:43:35 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted for awhile but have followed the board.  Brief recap...I was scheduled for 2 TKR's back in Jan 2008 (bone on bone) until I saw a video on regenexx.  Dr. Centeno did my left knee in Mar 2008 and my right knee in Sept 2008.  Pre regenexx, I had clicking and pain in both knees and could only play doubles tennis.  The clicking has gone away and 95% of pain has gone.  I am able to do more and more strengthing exercises which have helped me to play singles tennis in consecutive days if I choose to.  But, I do allow myself a days rest.  I think at age 59 it is prudent to do so.  I have also found that my knees get stronger month to month.  Don't know if stem cells are still producing or if it's the benefits of the exercise.  Maybe Dr. Centeno can answer?  I do want to get more regenexx treatments but only after the FDA come to it's senses.  Hope this helps.

Offline mccartjt

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #238 on: September 10, 2010, 06:56:31 PM »
Saverio

That is great news to hear. I hope your knees continue to improve. Oh that we all had a sensible government /FDA here in the USA!!

Offline WestPoint

• Regular Poster
« Reply #239 on: September 11, 2010, 01:10:22 PM »
That's terrific progress, Saverio. Very inspiring.

Would you say that you fit into the multiple lesion category Dr. Centeno was speaking about above, or did you have a couple of focal/large lesions?