Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Regenexx injections - Stem Cells  (Read 223906 times)

Offline mccartjt

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: Regenexx injections - Stem Cells
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2008, 04:42:32 AM »
Dr Centeno

WOW! is all I can say. Great news for Mike! WOW!

John M

Offline believev

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2008, 12:56:52 PM »
another thing along the same idea as the last posts,  I called my insurance company today and they are checking into this for me.

I have a health savings account that I can use through work.  If I can use that money to pay for the regenexx procedure, that is a big discount.  That money is saved before taxes and I get a 4% match.  That will be a significant discount.

Not too bad.  If they can allow me to pay for it.  I'm also having them check into partial payment and stuff.  Battling insurance companies is rough but they didn't complain at all when my doctor ordered 4 mri's and 2 bone scans over the past 12 months and everyone of those tests came back perfectly normal. Not to mention PT 3 times a week for 5 months at 100 bucks a pop.

got to go, getting myself a little too worked up here.

Offline rob8647932

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2008, 08:45:45 PM »
Dr. Centeno,

Do you know which CPT codes these are?

Thanks
Left knee - 1997 debridement, 1999 trochlea paste graft / microfracture), 2002 IAGH injections, 2005 plica and synovium removal, 2009 Regenexx injections
Right knee - 1997 debridement, 2000 trochlea paste graft, 2004 IAGH injections, 2008 Regenexx injections

Offline Saverio

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2008, 12:11:46 PM »
I'm glad to see more constructive posts on here.  This is all good stuff and I hope beneficial to knee arthritis sufferers.  I am now 6 weeks, 3 days since last stem cell injection for my right knee.  I am doing my rehab and up to 25 miles on my road bike (just 1 steep hill).  I did take a tennis clinic( 5 straight days of 2 hrs on soft surface) 2 weeks ago.  My right knee had no swelling or pain.  It is getting stonger.  Yesterday I took a fast cardio tennis session (continuous running on hard courts for 1 hour).   I am very pleased with the way my right knee is responding.  I will be increasing my rehab as I feel my knee is responding positivley to it.

Saverio

Offline believev

• Regular Poster
« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2008, 04:53:11 PM »
Saverio

this is great. I"m so glad your keeping us all in the loop with your progress. Yes we need ONLY constructive posts on here... we're all on the same side as far as i'm concerned.

I am extremely interested in this procedure.  What you're doing now is already what I would love to get back to.  I have a exploratory scope setup to see what the extent of my damage is ( AGAIN ).   My doctor and I are meeting thursday of this coming week I'm going to ask his opinion of the stem cell stuff.   I just want to make it clear that I dont want to wake up with a suprise microfracture or oats.  Especially the oats, since that taking hte good cartilage is irreversible.  If I can get him to agree to that, i'm going forward with that plan.  I"m at the point where I can't stand for very long anymore.

My take on it is this.  If I can get a diagnostic scope done, figure out how bad it is, then before I try microfracture or aci or oats or whatever he suggests, I may try this stem cel procedure.  WHat do I have to lose?  The only thing is the cost, and I'm at the point where I dont care anymore, if a few people on this board can have this kind of success, its worth my time and research.

I just want to thank u for keeping us in the loop...

If i try thee procedure and its bogus, or doesn't work, then I can always have surgery at a later time. 

Offline believev

• Regular Poster
« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2008, 12:39:46 AM »
Hey everyone, I just wanted to note one more thing.  I sent Dr. Joe maroon an email.  He is the professor who had the regenexx treatment in his knees and was able to train and complete in a triatholon (including a 26mile run).  He DID respond to me and said the treatment was a year ago and he's been doing great ever since.  He said the company is legit and worked great for him.  It is really starting to open my eyes to this procedure.  I dont want to paste the exact email in, but I did get a very encouraging response.

I thought I'd share that with everyone.  I emailed him through my unversity's website.  He is a professor where I went to college, so I figured  it'd be worth a shot. 

The more info I get about this company the better I feel.  I had a great conversation with a fellow board member today and we discussed the company, it really seems promising.  He is currently going through the procedure and is active on this thread.  I'd love to hear from more people who tried this procedure also.  This gives me hope.

ONE MORE THING.  I believe this type of procedure will be tax deducitable.  I know there are irs rules and stuff, but its worth a look under the medical expenses thing.

see ya.

Take care.

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2008, 08:25:46 AM »
Hi Fellow seekers of solutions!

I picked up on a link to a centre in Germany doing similar work - The XCell Center in Cologne (www.xcell-center.com. I've filled out the initial online enquiry forms as well as read all the info. They were very quick getting back after my first email (a couple of hours, if that!).

The treatment seems to be the same as in Centeno Clinic. They are upfront about costs - currently €6,545 excluding any transportation and hotel/accommodation. To me that is doable even if I have to pay for myself.

I'll let you know when the medical review people get back to me - it may be a no for me as I am looking to rebuild meniscus in order to prevent arthritis.

You can choose your language as the site is multi-lingual. Looks the same in many aspects as the Colorado set up except that it is not controversial here in Germany, just very very new!

Sue in Germany
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline thevoice

• Regular Poster
« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2008, 08:31:03 PM »
i have a small hole in my artcilcar cartlifge on the medial colyde, its about size of a finger nail and is to the bone, i have been told the rest of the knee is normal. Would either of these stem cell treatments help in my case and fill the hole in.

Offline believev

• Regular Poster
« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2008, 01:06:22 AM »
Thevoice, you are in a very similar situation to me.  I think they would.  THe problem is the cartilage is worn out or damaged in a small focal area.  This stuff if it is done right will help regrow new cartilage in that area.

I am considering it.  I still need to find out more.   I have been gathering as much info as I can the past few weeks.  Check out youtube.com too there are some nice videos from the doc on there.

Offline Jen Passarelli

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #84 on: November 21, 2008, 02:48:44 PM »
Hello all,

My name is Jen Passarelli and I am the Scheduling Coordinator for the Regenexx procedure here in Broomfield, CO. I am so excited to have run into this thread, and see the curiosity and excitement from everyone about the procedure.

I also wanted to take the opportunity to post some information about the procedure (this can all be found at www.regenexx.com, as well).

We use the procedure (for knees), typically, to regenerate lost cartilage from osteoarthritis, or to repair torn meniscus. The procedure costs about $7000, and would involve at least two trips out to Colorado - usually, one for the initial examination, blood and marrow draw, and the other about 14-17 days later for 4 injections over 10 days (this is the re-injection process). As of right now, we've done just over 250 procedures (about half of those being knees), and have seen an 80% success rate.

Our procedure is not covered by insurance (though as I'm sure you've all seen from Dr. Centeno's post above, we're getting closer!!). However, we are more than happy to provide you with a copy of your bill to submit to your health insurance if you wish.

I welcome any of your questions about what we do here, and our consultation process. Please do not hesitate to contact me if there's anything else I can answer for you.

Jen Passarelli
Scheduling Coordinator for the Regenexx Procedure
Centeno-Schultz Clinic and Regenerative Sciences Inc.
[email protected]

Offline believev

• Regular Poster
« Reply #85 on: November 22, 2008, 02:44:25 AM »
Jen

HI I think I talked to you on the phone once before.

Is there a medical procedure code for this?  My insurance would consider reimburseing me under a few general clauses, but they want that procedure code.  Its like a diagnostic code the doctor gives me.  They paid for all kinds of otehr pain management stuff, I'd like to try and get something back if I have this done, but I need that first.

anything that you can provide would be a great help.  I think others on here want that as well, thats why I posted this instead of messageing you privately.

thx

Offline mccartjt

• Forum Faithful
Re: Regenexx injections - Stem Cells..
« Reply #86 on: December 03, 2008, 06:20:23 AM »
Even horses get bad knees!!

I know that this is posting is  off topic, but the technology is very similar, "Horses getting regenerative medicine for repair of their tendons " .. Mesenchymal Stem Cells  and all. For anyone that is interested.

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=13147&nID=16&src=RA

vetmed.ucdavis.edu/ceh

Offline believev

• Regular Poster
« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2008, 06:52:39 PM »
mcartjt hey - i haevn't talked to you in a while.  I'm wondering if your noticing any improvemetns frmo your injections.  I had my exploratory scope alst week.  Turns out my cartilage was doing really good actually I had to have some abnormal scar tissue removed said it was causing most of my problems.  we'll see

How are you doing? Talk to you soon.

Offline mccartjt

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #88 on: December 09, 2008, 04:17:20 AM »
Hi Believev

Good to hear from you. Perhaps you'll not be needing any of this type of therapy at all! So much the better. Your outcome sounds good. Just one thought though, what initially caused your problems?

I have some great news to report, my knee is definitely feeling better. Its been about 3 weeks since my second re-injection when I got 35,000,000 stem cells injected into my knee. I am now 7 weeks into receiving stem cells. So far I've received 56 million.  I have to say its kinda weird when you believe what you've read, (about the likes of Dr Joe Maroon), but don't think that the same positive outcome can happen to you.

This weekend has been good, getting some exercise without going wild, so lets just say that my knee is definitely improving, I think the cells are working.  BTW its my body so I should have a good  idea!  My wife has noticed my better attitude too which has becomes infectious.

One thing happened over the weekend. I was over at a friends place.  They had a small house warming party to celebrate homeownership!  I got into a conversation about local surgeons with someone sporting a walking stick.. Turns out that she'd had a TKR in the past three weeks, after a disasterous microfracture with a not to competant surgeon, six months ago. It only goes to show, you have to be very careful when picking your doctors.

Good luck to you all!

John M

Offline believev

• Regular Poster
« Reply #89 on: December 09, 2008, 05:14:10 PM »
hey yeah I just had a spot of articular cartilage that wore down in a little area for no reason at all.
They think it mgiht have been from an old injury only because the rest of my knee is really healthy.

This doc told me the old procedure to try and stimulating some healing did a great job and although the area is a bit thinner than the rest of my knee it looked really good.  Said the rest of knee was "pristine".  So I asked why I was having so much trouble, he said the scar tissu and abnoral tissue around the area was causing some friction and rubbing.  Thats probably why my knee was popping and clicking so much.  Since he cleaned that out ("he told me he did not touch any cartilage, just the scar tissue") all the popping and stuff is gone.  Its only been 6 days since my scope and I already feel better than I did befor the op.  He said in the future if I still ahve trouble he'd discuss other options but he is really pleased with the looks of it in there.

Meniscus was 100%. all other articular cartilage was 100%, Just this 1cm by .5 cm area of little wear, and the area thats thin eh said was even smaller than that.  He told me he didn't even measure it becasue it was so small.  However it IS on a weight bearing area so that will complicate matters if ti gets worse.

gave me no restrictions, but said take it easy for a few weeks.  I have no swelling, none that I can see, just dissolvable stiches that will go away. Little bumps over the incision portals. no big deal.  I have to wait 3 months.  He said that stem cel stuff is very promising, I asked him if he had anybody who tried it, and he didn't knwo of anyone.

If it still bothers me I will definatley consider this before I get a major op, if thats in the cards.

I'm glad to hear you are doing well.. you still have one more injection right?