Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Regenexx injections - Stem Cells  (Read 223893 times)

Offline 60schld

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
Re: Regenexx injections - Stem Cells
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2008, 04:13:52 AM »
How wonderful mccartjt I wish you the best :D :D.  It's very exciting, I can hardly wait for your next post!!!
TKR  finally done!!!  9/9/13     Whew!!

Offline mccartjt

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2008, 04:16:27 AM »
To anyone reading this

One more thing that I forgot to mention, the doctor has given me two bouts of "Prolotherapy" for my slightly weaker left / damaged knee. Like I said in my earlier posting, it will take time to know how my left knee turns out with the prolotherapy and Regenexx procedure. I'll keep you all posted.

Mccartjt

Offline 60schld

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2008, 08:41:35 PM »
mccartjt-I know you will be getting back to us on your progress.  When you do, could you include the "state" of your knee(s) before treatment-i.e. what were your problems?  Thanks,            60schld :) 8)
TKR  finally done!!!  9/9/13     Whew!!

Offline mccartjt

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2008, 12:31:28 AM »
60Schld

I have retro patella damage with opposing damage on the femur with grade 3 damage both sides. Meniscus & ligaments are all fine. I can walk but realistically no running or no walking more than about 30 minutes on  a treadmill. So I am not a serious case but it was painful after going running or heavy cycling. I would get a sore knee after about 1 hour on  a bike. If I got out of the saddle and started pushing hard that would aggravate my knee something wicked.  I've had several arthroscopies but I need to rebuild the cartilage.

Offline Saverio

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2008, 08:39:48 PM »
To All,

Tomorrow will be 4 weeks since my last stem cell injection.  It's going about the same as my left knee.  My right feels good and more solid.  It felt good enough that I enrolled in a 2 hr/day for 5 days tennis clinic.  It is conducted on Har-Tru clay courts which are soft courts.  I don't think I would have enrolled if it was hard courts.  There has been no swelling or heat in the knee after each session (3 so far).   I will be doing my regular biking and strengthing of the knee starting on Sunday.  My goal is to get more strength and fuidity in the right knee so it balances with the left.  I'll keep posting.

Saverio

Offline mccartjt

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2008, 03:27:45 AM »
Good for you Saverio,

I'll not be done with my injections until just before Christmas. It it all pans out right what a Christmas present!

The immediate pain/gait for walking is all but gone. I am week post 1st injection. Taking the tablets & getting the infrared heat on the knee as I type. I am not fully walking up stairs yet but easing into it one day at a time.

Please keep in touch.

Mccartjt

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2008, 07:46:13 AM »
Thanks for the updates guys! It is really interesting for those of us seeking solutions.

I have a question though - during my last big operation my surgeon found that I have NO arthritis but am now down to a mere sliver of a medial meniscus which he has said will cause me trouble in the future. The lateral meniscus was whole and extremely healthy - he implied that the shaving of the medial may have been unnecessary and or heavy handed. All my previous operations on this knee agreed Grade 3 to Grade 4 arthritis. So does this operation only work on lesions or do I have a chance with my meniscus? what would be my chances?

I have the chance to go to Dr Toft in Munich for similar treatment IF it will work on meniscus problems. At 58 I am not a candidate for the transplants, even if it were done here in Germany.

Sue
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline Saverio

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2008, 11:08:21 AM »
Sue,

I don't know what to tell you.  I'm not an MD.  But it makes logical sense that it would help the meniscus since it is cartliage, only different than the articular cartliage coating the bone.

Sam

Offline rob8647932

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2008, 01:41:31 PM »
If you check the website testomonials, you can see the  person with the the meniscus that was healed.
Left knee - 1997 debridement, 1999 trochlea paste graft / microfracture), 2002 IAGH injections, 2005 plica and synovium removal, 2009 Regenexx injections
Right knee - 1997 debridement, 2000 trochlea paste graft, 2004 IAGH injections, 2008 Regenexx injections

Offline thevoice

• Regular Poster
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2008, 08:18:47 AM »
is the cost allowed to be posted on this forum? I assume its the same amount for all people?

Offline believev

• Regular Poster
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2008, 02:58:20 PM »
wow. i can't believe how this thread developed. I posed on it a long time ago and forgot about it. 

I am very curious to the cost of the procedure. I had heard around 5k, but I can't even remember where I heard that.  Anyway, did the dr giv eyou any time frame on how long the relief can last.  If the peole on here get that kind of relief even for 5 years, thats a huge step forward in my book.  I pay a couple thousand every year on just insurance deductibles and crap like that.

I am seriously considering this procedure.  I am in a different camp than some here, but I am young only 30.  If I can stave off a microfracture or even a Oats procedure, then its worth it. 

This is very encouraging.  I emailed that doctor form Pittsburgh who had it done, the guy who ran the marathon. I went to pitt, so I hope he responds to me.  I also emailed the doctor who does the procedure, I"m not sure if he will even work with me, since my defect doesn't show up on mri.  I had 4, they all say perfectly normal.  BUt its not, and whenI had the scope they confirmed that.

anyway, can one of you please give me a cost estimate?  If you would feel better sending me a message, thats ok too

THX

Offline mayme

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2008, 10:08:12 PM »
Hi Believev,

Go to the Regenexx website, click on FAQS and then scroll down to Insurance Coverage. You'll find the exact cost of the procedure there.

Good luck!

Offline believev

• Regular Poster
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2008, 12:20:30 AM »
yeah i saw it, its more like 7-8.5k.  yeah so i was under a bit.  OH well I really dont think its a secret, they're saying the average is 7,000 to 8,500.  Again more than I thought but still not an unbelievable amount if it works the way the results say.

thx for that.  hey if this works, I'll spend it.

i'm still trying to get in touch with that professor from Pitt.  I'd love to hear form him.

Offline thevoice

• Regular Poster
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2008, 09:02:15 AM »
There micro stem cell treatment sounds intresting - they fill the defect with tons of stem cells and allow the defect to heal. I am sirprised others arent using/offering this treatment in the west. I have heard of treatments in singapore which use stem cells so maybe it is being used in other parts of the world.

Offline Dr. Centeno

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #74 on: November 12, 2008, 02:19:33 AM »
Dear all,

This is Dr. Centeno again.  A long standing knee patient from the east coast just sent me this e-mail.  I asked his permission to post it because I thought it was interesting not only from a treatment/results standpoint, but also from an insurance standpoint. 

" I am 6o years old ,a successful college tennis coach and am an avid golfer,skier and tennis player. I have had 13 knee surgeries prior to coming to see the Centenoclinic.All orthopedists I saw told me I would need a arthroplasty for my three compartment  maligned arthritic grade 3-4 left knee.Dr Centeno took a chance with me,but it worked!His autologous mesenchymal stem cell transplant worked.It has given me pain relief,greater range of motion and functionality.I am a slow healer,but 90 days post op I started seeing the benefits of my trip to Denver.I was told by everyone I spoke with,insurance would not pay!Well,I did not give in to that advice. My insurance company denied my charges twice,the first was reviewed by a General Physician.I said to myself,how much to they know about stem cell advances?None.My second appeal was reviewed by a general orthopedist who did not specialize in knees!I said to myself again,how much does he know in reference to Mesenchymal Stem Cell transplants?The answer in my mind,none!My third appeal was suppose to have been done by a independent  panel orthopedist outside of the insurance company who does specialize in knees.
    My insurance company decided to approve my appeal once they found out I found 2 Medical Physician's work  in Japan who do the same work with Medical data to prove it's efficancy.The insurance company kept telling me that  they needed to see long range studies.Well,I pointed out to them Synvisc only has short term relief and that has approval by both the FDA and insurance companies worldwide.Quite costly for a 3-5 month pain relief and it was not according to what they told me.It also said in policy regulations,specilal consideration would be given in certain circumstances.Next,I decided to look at my policy written policies on coverage.Well,my RN girlfriend and myself found three  Professional Provider Coding CPT codes that did not relate to cancer patients.1.For blood derived hematopoietic progenitor cell harvesting transplant ,per collection 2.For blood derived peripheral stem cell harvesting for transplantation per collection 3.for bone marrow or blood derived peripheral stem cell transplantation,autologous.Once I showed the grievance officer these CPT codes,they called me the next day and approved my appeal.I got full refund to the shock of everyone except myself.I never got discourage in the 5 months of endless research I did.Some MD's and scientists were helpful in my quest to gather medical evidence proving the insrance company was wrong,others were not!Google.com was my best friend,they located everything for me.I also want to put in a pitch for the IMS therapy and Rolfing was a tremendous help in activating muscles that have not moved well in years.It was every penny and time I put into the pursuit of reimbersement.I plan to return to Denver In march 2008 to have more treatment!

Mike"

support