Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Regenexx injections - Stem Cells  (Read 223941 times)

Offline prefersdosequis

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Regenexx injections - Stem Cells
« Reply #330 on: December 07, 2011, 11:03:05 PM »
Hello Andyhart,

Thank you for your response. I am definitely interested in hearing more testimonies from people who have had the procedure done. Sure I am personally hoping that all the cases are positive, but I also want to hear the negative ones as I don't want to throw my money away. In Vail I saw Dr. Sterett who just recently switched from the Steadman clinic to Vail Summit Orthopedic. He still preforms his surgeries at the Steadman Clinic, and I have to say he was outstanding. I have nothing negative or critical to say about my experience at the hands of Dr. Sterett and would strongly recommend him.

Can you speak further about your condition? Did you have meniscal degeneration? Or did you have a meniscal tear? I am interested in finding other people who have also had instrasubstance damage to their meniscus and found an answer to their pain. Thank you very much for your response!

Travis

Offline prefersdosequis

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #331 on: December 07, 2011, 11:05:56 PM »
One other thing, I am still in touch with the folks at the Steadman clinic. I am aware that they also have a doctor doing Stem Cell work. Before I decide on anything I will likely explore that option as well.

Offline andyhart

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #332 on: December 08, 2011, 01:24:15 AM »
One other thing, I am still in touch with the folks at the Steadman clinic. I am aware that they also have a doctor doing Stem Cell work. Before I decide on anything I will likely explore that option as well.

Do you mean Dr. Karli? I thought he was just doing PRP.

Offline prefersdosequis

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #333 on: December 08, 2011, 02:17:00 AM »
That's a good question. When I spoke with Dr. Sterett's assistant at the Steadman Clinic he did not give me the name of the doctor who they refer to for Stem Cell work he only said they have someone in house. I was asking him if they had sent or received any patients from the Regenexx clinic. However, while he knew about Regenexx he did not have any experience with any of their patients.
Thanks,
Travis

Offline andyhart

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #334 on: December 08, 2011, 03:16:10 AM »
Dr. Steadman told me he thought that the stem cell injections had done absolutely nothing for my meniscus tear, which I may be inclined to believe. It's hard to say because while the pain is a lot better than a year ago, I have had to really lay off a lot of activities. If I start up with them, the pain and dysfunction come back. Needless to say Steadman was very unbelieving of stem cells for meniscus. He did think that the CMI would again be available in the US in 4 or 5 years (Dr. Stone thought it would come back as well). Keep in mind, Travis,when you are educating yourself that you understand the difference between the regenexx Sd treatment and the cultured treatment, which is only available in the Cayman Islands.

Offline prefersdosequis

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #335 on: December 08, 2011, 04:31:12 AM »
Hello Andyhart,
Wow. Great information! No I do not yet know the difference between the Regenexx SD and the cultured treatment. (I am clearly still too new here.) I am also not familiar with the term CMI, though I suspect it has something to do the cultured cell treatment you speak of. 

Give me a second here while I google around...

Ok so looking around on Regenexx's site I noticed that they offer four different procedures. SD, AD, SCP, and C. From their explanation it seems like the Regenexx-C procedure is the one you are talking about which has the best results (I noticed their literature also supports this). Is this the cultured stem cell treatment you are referring to? And is this treatment not currently available in the US? Are you saying that I can only get the Regenexx-C treatment in their Cayman Islands clinic? And if my budget wasn't blown already. Crap.

Thank you so much for sharing this information with me.
Travis

Offline prefersdosequis

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #336 on: December 08, 2011, 04:42:31 AM »
One other question. Is there a reason why CMI (whatever it stands for) isn't available in the states at this time? Is it waiting approval by the FDA? Also, your statement that it would be again available in the US, gives me the impression that it was once available here. If that's the case, I am sure it's not a short answer as to why, but I'd appreciate any info you can give me on it.
Thanks again.
Travis

Offline andyhart

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #337 on: December 08, 2011, 11:27:47 AM »
One other question. Is there a reason why CMI (whatever it stands for) isn't available in the states at this time? Is it waiting approval by the FDA? Also, your statement that it would be again available in the US, gives me the impression that it was once available here. If that's the case, I am sure it's not a short answer as to why, but I'd appreciate any info you can give me on it.
Thanks again.
Travis

CMI is a collagen meniscus implant. It was actually pulled off the market by the FDA for reasons I don't totally understand. It's available in Europe. From what I understand, Steadman and Stone had a lot to do with it.

Offline andyhart

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #338 on: December 08, 2011, 11:31:24 AM »
Hello Andyhart,
Wow. Great information! No I do not yet know the difference between the Regenexx SD and the cultured treatment. (I am clearly still too new here.) I am also not familiar with the term CMI, though I suspect it has something to do the cultured cell treatment you speak of. 

Give me a second here while I google around...

Ok so looking around on Regenexx's site I noticed that they offer four different procedures. SD, AD, SCP, and C. From their explanation it seems like the Regenexx-C procedure is the one you are talking about which has the best results (I noticed their literature also supports this). Is this the cultured stem cell treatment you are referring to? And is this treatment not currently available in the US? Are you saying that I can only get the Regenexx-C treatment in their Cayman Islands clinic? And if my budget wasn't blown already. Crap.

Thank you so much for sharing this information with me.
Travis

The C is only available in the Cayman Islands. They're in the midst of a lawsuit with the FDA over this, could prove to be landmark. The cost per treatment is well over 10k and depending on things they might recommend 3 treatments, however, for meniscus this is so experimental you'd have to be pretty well off to consider trying it.

Offline prefersdosequis

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #339 on: December 08, 2011, 10:08:46 PM »
Well sad news for sure. But I greatly appreciate both the information you have shared about these procedures as well as your own personal experience with the Regenexx injections. I sure hope that Steadman will be able to work his magic on your knee. I too, like you, can quit exercise and have my knee pain almost disappear. But it's the active lifestyle I am trying to hold onto. Thanks again. I wish you the best.
Travis

Offline prefersdosequis

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #340 on: December 09, 2011, 05:29:04 PM »
For all interested parties I just called Regenexx to inquire about the cost of the C procedure in the Caymans. The cost for one knee is $15000, which would require two trips to the Islands. I also asked how long the procedure had been banned by the FDA in the US and was told that their last C procedure done in Colorado was preformed last summer (I think she meant the summer of 2010 though I could have got that wrong). I asked her if they had a time frame for being able to once again do the C procedure in the US, and she said that they were hoping for sometime between 6 and 18 months. I was sort of pleasantly surprised to hear this positive outlook, and so I further inquired whether they believed they were going to win the case with the FDA and she responded that they were hopeful. I then asked her whether the procedure would likely be cheaper if it were preformed in the US, at which she replied, "absolutely!" She couldn't give me a definite figure though she said the previous price for one knee done in Denver was $7000.
Travis
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 06:17:41 PM by prefersdosequis »

Fastrider

« Reply #341 on: December 16, 2011, 06:17:30 AM »
Thanks for the update Travis. I'm new on the forum but am seriously looking into the Regenexx procedure. I'm just getting ready to send them my MRI report and medical history form, then consult with them and go from there. I'm anticipating my situation (sever meniscal degeneration, left knee) might require the cultured procedure and have been saving up for it; the ability to have it done in CO instead of the Cayman Islands would be a big help in terms of procedural cost and travel expenses. 

Offline prefersdosequis

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #342 on: December 17, 2011, 07:52:37 PM »
Hey Fastrider, it is nice to meet someone who shares my degenerative meniscus misery. I too am planning on having the initial consult with them soon. I am currently waiting to get another MRI done on my knee. And like you, I desire the cultured procedure; especially after what Andyhart has shared. Please keep me updated on how things go for you. Thanks, Travis.

Offline Sturge08

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #343 on: December 20, 2011, 04:59:19 PM »
I'm just over 3 months post -SD injection. My right ankle was treated due to OA. I regretfully have to inform that it has provided no pain relief at all. I will review the situation in 3 months time with my dr to see what the best next course of action will be. As you can imagine my confidence in a repeated similar injection working is low. Perhaps I may wait until a far more developed approach is available. Good luck to all who are due to have the procedure done, I hope you respond better than me.

Offline prefersdosequis

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #344 on: December 20, 2011, 07:14:59 PM »
Hello Sturge08, I am sorry to hear about your experience. Having myself gone through procedures which don't provide any relief I know how disappointing this must feel for you. I do appreciate the update on your condition. Out of curiosity, what response have your received from Regenexx? Have they suggested more procedures? Or different procedures? Did they say the C procedure would have been more helpful? Thanks, Travis.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 06:49:30 AM by prefersdosequis »