Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Regenexx injections - Stem Cells  (Read 223913 times)

Offline loryc00

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Regenexx injections - Stem Cells
« Reply #165 on: August 15, 2009, 02:22:01 AM »
Hi Dr.
I have been researching things to help my husband.  He was hit by a car in Oct of 2008 he is only 37 years old and they are wanting him to fuse his ankle!  I am not satisfied with this procedure and recovery for it.  He had a open ankle fracture,  where his cartilage was completely cut up by the accident.  Now after debrement   and drilling he has more pain than before and can't get off these crutches.  His cartilage was pulled away they said this last surgery.  He also broke his femur and has knee issues now.  He has plates and screws in both the femur and ankle.  Do you think he would be a good candidate for this.  Also we live in Florida and have read that you are trying to start doing it here.  If so when and where??  Is usf doing it I see them mentioned in a few articles.  Thank you so much
Lorrie Campbell

Offline slyguy1

• Regular Poster
« Reply #166 on: August 17, 2009, 03:53:12 PM »
hey mccartjt..........how is your progress coming along....do you have any updates?

Offline mccartjt

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #167 on: August 25, 2009, 07:29:51 PM »
Hey Slyguy1

I had a bit of a setback. Not with my knee but with my back. I have extolled the benefits of rowing on Concept 2 rowing machine previously. I've done nearly 1/2 million meters of rowing since my 3rd injection in December 2008. Back in late May I rowed one day for about 22 minutes and "Cricked" my back. Clearly I had a defective rowing stroke, & like a fool I carried on for an additional 3 minutes until I could row no more. I didn't realize at the time the pain I was about to cause myself for being stupid and not "Listening" to my body. That basically laid me very low for the last 3 months. Ten days ago as a direct result of that injury my back was screamingly sore. I emailed Dr Centeno and, as a result I got an MRI done for my lower back.

From my knee prospective, in the last 4 months I've had one more re-injection (my 4th) into my knee. For rehab since late May Iíve been doing a lot more cycling as opposed to rowing. I have purposely been getting out of the saddle to stress my knee whilst riding that slight irritation of the joint promotes cartilage growth. I have noted that during this time my knee has been less sore (post workout) with each progressive outing on my bike.

So I had pre-injection appointment with Dr Centeno on Monday 24th August.† At the same time he took a look at my overall condition. Dr Centeno checked the alignment of my hips, knee and back in an effort to correct what was giving me my back pain. We discovered that I did in fact have a very mild showing of sciatica. Dr Centeno administered some IMS (similar to acupuncture) and I have to say now my back feels much better as does my overall muscular / skeletal alignment.

I am now waiting here in Bloomfield until tomorrow, when I will get my 5th re-injection with Dr Centeno.† As my condition changes Iíll keep you in the loop. I do feel better now than I was last September 2008. For me that's what makes this worth while.. JM

Offline slyguy1

• Regular Poster
« Reply #168 on: August 28, 2009, 10:30:48 AM »
JM......thanks for the update....sorry about your back situation...i know the feeling....it seems it is a given with all knee problems that some back problem will surface at some point. It is hard to believe how the quad muscle atrofies so quickly.....i took about a week off from working out and i can feel my knee pain coming right back....have a good one.

Offline emoney

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #169 on: September 29, 2009, 11:23:27 PM »
Does anyone have any more updates on this? 

Here is my history:

- 41 yr old male - 35 years of soccer, skiing, court sports
- severe patellar and quad tendinitis / osis on both L and R knees - almost identical
- grade 3+ chondromalacia of trocular groove (big hole just under patella)
- tried 1 year of PT, stretching, etc, and Prolo - got stronger and more flexible, but not better
- did scope and debridement of patella AND quad tendons on BOTH knees 8/08....did 6 months of PT, etc.

I am now worse than I was before.  It used to be that I could ski or play soccer, and then it would hurt for a few days and I had to rest, ice, etc.  Now I cannot even start to run or anything without pain.

I have been speaking / emailing with Regenexx for a couple of months and am seriously considering this.  I have also spoken with Steadman-Hawkins.  Dr. Karli there has been doing PRP a long time, and also have recently been doing BMAC.  In addition, Dr. Karli worked with Dr. Centeno and others on a trial paper or something, so I have to imagine that they are looking at this as well.

Anyway, Saverio, Mcartjt, etc. - I have asked Jen at Centeno's office if I could speak with someone who has done this before...but do you have any more updates?  Part of what concerns me is not having numbers, other than 500 people have done this...

Offline Saverio

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #170 on: September 30, 2009, 12:01:29 PM »
My update.  I am playing singles tennis almost everyday and climbing up the local ladder.  I couldn't do this before regenexx.  I was limited to doubles and had to take a days rest in between.  Sorry don't have any numbers just my history.

Offline emoney

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #171 on: September 30, 2009, 08:44:53 PM »
thanks - I will see who they let me speak with.  Sounds like you are doing well

Offline Saverio

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #172 on: October 01, 2009, 12:38:55 PM »
I want to be clear.  Yes I am doing better than before regenexx.  I work hard at rehab to maintain strength.  Before regenexx I could not strengthen my knees because of the pain.  Are my knees 100%?  No... but they are stronger.  I do believe there will be a 100% cure for osteo arthritis using stem cells in the near future.  I am waiting for that day.

Offline mccartjt

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #173 on: October 05, 2009, 04:50:56 AM »
Emoney

I am 5 injections into my left knee.† I am improved, & not yet perfect. I 've one more injection to go and I've been doing a lot of cycling & swimming to get my joint to change the stem cells injected into it, into cartilage. Knowing how long it takes cartilage to grow, I am at least 6-9 months away from knowing where I'll end up.† On another note Dr Centeno has helped my back enormously with an injection of platelet lysate into my L5/S1 joint 10 days ago.† I'd been in agony on and off since May with my bad back.. So my hurting bones† & joints are still improving courtsey of the folks at Regenexx.

Offline rob8647932

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #174 on: October 06, 2009, 11:50:46 PM »
I have had 4 injections in my right knee. I had a grade 4 defect in the lateral aspect of the trochlea. It was about 10 x 10 mm in size. It is improved but I still have the arthritic crunching. I have at least a couple more injections to go. Hopefully I will get another round of improvement. Centeno is not recommending any pre injection to roughen up area nor is he putting any restrictions post Regenexx. I am following Centeno's recommendations.
Left knee - 1997 debridement, 1999 trochlea paste graft / microfracture), 2002 IAGH injections, 2005 plica and synovium removal, 2009 Regenexx injections
Right knee - 1997 debridement, 2000 trochlea paste graft, 2004 IAGH injections, 2008 Regenexx injections

Offline macetini

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #175 on: October 25, 2009, 12:20:05 PM »
Hi everybody, first post here.

I'm 25 yo male, 5 years ago a had partial partially menisectomy ( bucket handle type of tear, the rims are whole ), they removed around 20%. I'm very active, fit and flexibile( I weightlift and do cardio almost every day ). I never had any meniscus problem since and my knee doesn't hurt, but I want to be able to stay active in years to come. My hyaline cartilage is preserved and I don't have any signs of osteoarthritis. I am interested in meniscus regeneration. In one Regenexx report there was like 23% meniscus regeneration. I'm interested in the procedure, anybody has any toughs?

Offline emoney

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #176 on: October 27, 2009, 05:00:11 PM »
thanks to saverio, mccartjit, and rob - sorry I have been off-line a while

I am still conversing with with Jen at Regenexx about some questions.  In particular, there are some things I will have to do that I did not know about:

1 - some kind of "unloading" knee brace?  not sure how much this costs....also, how can you wear 2 at once?  I have the identical prob in both knees
2 - manually do 30 mins of ultrasound every day

Did you guys have to do this?

thanks

I may also do PRP locally here as well .... they just started it here and I think my surgeon feels bad and would do it for free....but I will check with Centeno first

Offline Saverio

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #177 on: October 27, 2009, 11:44:04 PM »
emoney,

I did the ultrasound and still do it every morning.  It makes my knees feel good.  Dr. Centeno did not suggest the unloader braces,  but I use to wear them about 10 years ago during playing tennis.  I would think anything that helps releave forces in the knee joint during healing is a good thing.  I have starting using an inversion table every morning and after I play tennis.  I do believe I get benefits from the hanging. 

Saverio

Offline emoney

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #178 on: October 28, 2009, 02:16:45 PM »
thanks Saverio - I appreciate it.  I just need to figure out all the ramifications of this. 

I travel every other week for work, and I have 3 kids under age 10, so if I have to spend an hour a day doing various rehab activities, it is complicated...

thanks again

Offline Saverio

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #179 on: October 28, 2009, 03:19:37 PM »
emoney,

The uktrasound is easy.  I do it in the morning while checking emails and doing PC stuff. 

Saverio

support