Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ankle arthritis caused by knee issues...anyone?  (Read 1323 times)

Offline Crap_Knee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Ankle arthritis caused by knee issues...anyone?
« on: December 11, 2007, 01:19:11 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has had problems with their ankles because of their knee issues. I have a torn MCL and cartilage damage, and am scheduled for a LR, medial plication, chrondoplasty, and debridement on Dec 21st (less than 2 weeks!! yay!)

Anyways, my knee injury happened 5 years ago, and the arthritis has been gradually getting worse. not many months ago, my ankle on the same leg (left) has been in quite a bit of pain, with popping sounds and stiffness in mornings, after hard excercise, and in the cold. Hhs anyone had ankle problems arise as a direct cause of knee issues? (compensating for instability perhaps)

Is this something I should get looked at before or after my knee surgery next week? I am also scheduled for an osteotomy of my left big toe (actually the bone in my foot below my big toe) for an extremely painfull bunion. The bunion surgery is  3 months after my knee surgery. (they have to saw the bone in half, realign, and screw back on, plus grind away the "bump" of the bunion)...this is all on the same left leg.

Should I ignore the left ankle for now, and just go ahead with the knee next week, and then the foot in March?

Sometimes I am afraid a Dr will think I am a hypochondriac if I say something about my ankle now...

advice please!

Offline loulatime

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • Lousy Smarch weather...
Re: Ankle arthritis caused by knee issues...anyone?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 02:50:31 PM »
I can see the connection.  There is no doubt in my mind the interrelationship your back, hips, knees and ankles play with each other.  One is "broken" or "off" and it will have a residual effect on the others.