Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Surgery Report!! Need help with this!!!!  (Read 1742 times)

Offline jbksmomma

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Surgery Report!! Need help with this!!!!
« on: December 04, 2007, 06:49:10 PM »
I had Arthoscopy, left knee; partial medial meniscectomy; partial synovectomy. It says so much stuff I just dont know all the meanings.  Here is some more of what they found....

The posterior horn of the meniscus was examined. There was evidence of remnants of a cyst and also remnants of a tear including horizontal component tear. The abnormal areas and the tear were resected with a basket forceps and suction shaver. The remaining rim of the meniscus was stable and intact.  The aniterior aspect of the meniscus showed evidence of ingrowth of synovium over the anterior aspect of the meniscus into the joint. This was trimmed with suction shaver and at this point the medial meniscus appeared to look quite normal.

The intercondylar area was then examined and the anterior cruciate ligament was found to be stabel and intact. The lateral meniscus was visualized in the lateral compartment and found to be stable and intact. Again, some synovitis in the anterior aspect of the lateral compartment had invaded the joint and this was removed with the suction shaver.

I think I pretty much know what they mean when it says, "found to be stable and intact"

Just wondering what everything else means.. I still have alot of pain!! Going on Dec 28th to get a 2nd opinion.
Any help will be appreciated!!
Thanks,
Angela
Cyst and 2 tears in meniscus 6/07
OS has no more ideas refered to Pain management 7/07

Offline borg56

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • born to be wired
Re: Surgery Report!! Need help with this!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 05:58:36 PM »
I didn't notice how long ago you had it "scoped" but they did do some work in there. You will have pain for awhile from that work but it shouldn't be too too bad. You said they noticed older injuries also which could be a cause of some of the pain. A second opinion is always a good idea make sur you bring any and all reports yopu have and if you can get your hands on the films taken IE x-rays or MRI's bring them with you. I have found that the doc's that just read the reports are not always the sharpest knife in the drawer. If they can't read your films find one that can. Have a great Hoiday and all the best!!
OP's on both feet bones broken wired together
fused hip R side
l-5 fracture
R knee replaced 05 scoped a while ago
Neck fusion in 98 and a new one in 07
Neruopathy from neck to toes

Offline kathat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Aussie, Aussie, Aussie
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 09:29:36 PM »
Hi Angela,
I can help decipher some of the report for you. I am assuming some knowledge of knee structure, but if I say anything to confuse you then just ask for more clarification.When they examined your meniscus (I am assuming it's the medial one) they found a tear and leftovers of a cyst. They chopped out the damaged bit (partial meniscectomy), which is what the "resected with..." means. You had an ingrowth of synovium, which is the joint lining, and this was trimmed. Your cruciates were intact.  More synovial ingrowth was found in the lateral compartment and this was removed. That's pretty much it. You will find that you get pain for some time, as you had a lot of trimming done. The "synovitis" mentioned is a painful condition in itself. Pain inhibits quad function and you find that those with knee pain have atrophied quads, which provides less support for the joint and results in more pain. A vicious circle! If you aren't already having physio then it's time to get some, so you can do some gentle knee friendly exercises to strengthen the quads.

Good luck,

Kathy

Offline jbksmomma

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 06:17:02 PM »
That helped sooo much!! Thank you!! I had no clue what they were taking about, but you just made it so much easier to understand!! I will report after my 2nd opinion on Dec 28th to let everyone who reads how it went!

Thanks again
Angela
Cyst and 2 tears in meniscus 6/07
OS has no more ideas refered to Pain management 7/07