Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Unicompartmental or Possibly Complete Knee Replacment Surgery  (Read 3876 times)

Offline WildBill

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Unicompartmental or Possibly Complete Knee Replacment Surgery
« on: September 23, 2007, 03:35:28 AM »
  My 70 yr. old husband with COPD Emphysema, Sleep Apnea, Atrial Fibrillation and 50 lbs. over weight is contemplating a  Unicompartmental Knee Surgery.  He was thinking having a Spinal w/Mild Sedation & leg Nerve Block.  He has no cartilage left on inside of the knee and in pain & has difficulties walking.  Would like to hear from people who had had this type and surgery and the pros and cons.  :)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 05:03:38 PM by WildBill »

Offline caren

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • here we are together
Re: Unicompartmental or Possibly Complete Knee Replacment Surgery
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 12:05:55 PM »
I have no answers for you but would like to wish the best of luck to them both

let us know how they come out prayers for the procedure to go good and that all works out great

caren
Caren

Offline Mrs beesknees

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 05:06:08 PM »
Dear Caren
        Please don't worry about your husband's operation .I had an Oxford knee with the same sedation  15 months ago & it was fine -anaesthetists are very skillful. Expect he's been told about the importance of breathing exercises early mobilisation & physiotherapy ,He will also get very good pain control .
        All the best to you both -let us know how he gets on
                                                                              Diane  :D :D

Offline TIBBAR

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • Keep em Guessing?????????????
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 06:09:10 PM »
WILD BILL
I AM SLIGHTLY YOUNGER AND EXCEPT FOR THE WEIGHT THING I DON'T HAVE THE OTHER HEALTH PROBLEMS, BUT I HAD A FEMORAL BLOCK AND AND SPINAL TOO. I HAD BOTH KNEES DONE AT THE SAME TIME.  I DON'T DO WAKING UP WELL SO I CHOSE THIS. I LOVED IT BUT MAKE SURE HE TELLS THE DOC THAT HE WANTS TO BE SEDATED. I LOVED HEARING THE OP BUT THEY PUT A CURTAIN UP SO I COULDN'T SEE ANYTHING.  GOOD LUCK WITH WHAT YOU CHOSE AND LET US KNOW HOW IT GOES.             CAROL

Offline DeborahinNC

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 03:17:43 AM »
Hi,

I'm 52 and I just had the oxford put in four weeks ago.  Last week I would have told you - great yippee - this week I'd still say I was at this end and had no choice.  Actually I am still on the whole pleased with my progress for 4 weeks and still know this was my best option.  The lateral part of my knee was fine so a total was not at all an option.  Rehab has been more painful than I thought I would be (previous scopes on same knee but nothing this major) but like I said I think at the end of this I'll be happy with it

I also did a spinal and nerve block although I had other drugs (don't really like to hear what is going on).  The spinal was fine, the nerve block I guess worked but I do have to day that in recovery it wore off (was supposed to be good for about 24 hours).  I know other people have loved nerve blocks and they have lasted for many hours.  Don't know what happed with me but between the spinal, the pump and the other drugs all was good.

I have no other health problems except for a bad knee so I didn't have any of the pulmonary issues.  I guess I'm overweight but my size has not been an issue for me for many years.

Let me know what your husband decides and how he does.  I'll be thinking of you.

Good luck and be well,
Deborah

Offline WildBill

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 02:02:08 AM »
This is a note from WildBill who had a Partial Knee Replacement on 10/16/07.  With his medical condition they decided to do the Spinal, w/leg nerve block and mild sedation.  I am happy to report all went well, came home on the 19th and is doing great.  Physical Therapy is coming to the home for a few weeks and blood draws are being done due to the Warfin he will be on for 4-6 wks.  He using walker, has a little pain but for the most part using very little pain medication.  Thank you all for your great input/prayers and hope this helps others who are contemplating having this done. :)

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • Much to young to feel this dam old, Garth Brooks
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 06:26:21 PM »
Glad to hear all went well, you must be real glad to have that worry behind you. I'll keep fingers crossed that this continues to be a boring and uneventful recovery and that he gets his quality of life back.

Good luck

Denny
6th Dec 2007 arthoscropy, major debridement and meniscus trimmed
Jan 08 2008 Arthritis grade 2/3 told to wait until TKR needed.
August 2010 Left knee arthroscopy

Offline DeborahinNC

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 03:47:03 PM »
Hi,

Very glad he did well.  I had mine the end of August and am progressing well.  May still have to adjust my career but I am very happy with the results.  Its the first time I think I might actually finish with this knee.

My best to you and your husband.  Its a hard rehab but can be done and he sounds determined.

Let us know how he is doing.

Be well,
Deborah

Offline WildBill

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 02:06:23 AM »
WildBill is still progressing since is Partial Knee Replacement 10/16/07.  Physical Therapy (at the home) ended on Friday and will now be going to a Clinic for further Therapy.  He continues to use the CPM Machine, walks w/cane but understand it's a lengthy recoup.  He's not liking the Ted-Hose to much ... he now know's what it's like to wear pantie hose!!! hahaha   His Doctor wants him to wear these for 6 wks., so that will be till the end of March.  It beats the alternative of a Blood Clot.

Thanks to all, for your support and encourgement.

Wife of ("Not to Wild") WildBill 

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • Much to young to feel this dam old, Garth Brooks
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 03:13:54 AM »
Glad to hear that things keep going well, I'm sure that you haven't laughed at him fighting with his 'panti hose' at all ;D I hope that you are doing well as well, I know that partners feel the strain as well, make sure that you take care of yourself as well.

Denny
6th Dec 2007 arthoscropy, major debridement and meniscus trimmed
Jan 08 2008 Arthritis grade 2/3 told to wait until TKR needed.
August 2010 Left knee arthroscopy

Offline Mrs beesknees

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 05:01:19 PM »
Well done Bill & Partner .Glad to know things are going well -keepup the good work !
                                                   Diane :D :D

Offline DeborahinNC

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2007, 05:38:31 PM »
Hi Wildbill and wife

I hope you are still doing well.  How is out-pt. PT going?  I'm over 8 weeks post PKR and am still rehabbing but it is getting better.  I have good and bad days/weeks but all-in-all am glad to have had it done.  I even think my OS may get a hug next visit (that ought to scare him)!!!

Let me know how your doing.  I've been thinking about you.

Be well,
Deborah

Offline Kris

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My Wonderful Friend--Hobo RIP
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2007, 03:52:04 AM »
I hope all is well for the both of you.  I had my partial knee replacement in June and everything sounds so familiar.  I don't have the medical issues either except for the overweight part and I'm 40 years younger.  I think that's becoming a trend of people who have knee problems.  I had Home PT for about 3 weeks before going to outpatient clinic.  I was on a walker for a long time and then switch to a cane.  I can sympothize about those TED hose things.  That was probably the worst part of it for the longest time, trying to get those things on and off without causing tremendous pain.  I'm almost 5 months post op and doing great.  I hope everything goes the same for you both.

Kris
Right  LR on 2/8/02,  7/11/03, and 11/5/05
Left leg LR on 5/02, 4/05
Right achilles tendon lengthened on 2/01.   Synvisc injections on 2/17/03. 
Cortisone on 12/03 and 3/04, 12/05. 
Proximal Reallignment Right 5/23/05
R Microfracture 5/19/06
PFJR 6/20/07