Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Orthopedic Surgeon Advise  (Read 1520 times)

Offline EricIsDesperate

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Orthopedic Surgeon Advise
« on: November 30, 2007, 09:39:05 PM »
I have spent weeks... maybe months... researching doctors to evaluate my knees.  Since I had such a bad experience with my previous surgeon, I am OVERLY worried and weary choosing my next one... I want the NEXT doctor to be the LAST doctor haha.

I know that Dr. James Andrews is the top in the field.  With me being  a wrestler, it is known that he treats almost every WWE wrestler.  However, he is in Alabama and I am in NY.  I wrote to him and was told he comes to NY for meetings, but has no plans to visit here any time soon.  I was referred to some of his "fellows" who not practice here.  On the fellows bios they state they treated WWE wrestlers and were consultants for the Washington Redskins.  I know for a fact that is ACTUALLY Dr. Andrews who does that; I assume the fellows work side by side with him... soo...

Question 1:  Someone in a fellowship program;  how closely do they interact with doctors high profile clients such as NFL teams and WWE.  Is this legit that they claim they have treated them?  Or is that like someone taking an intro to spanish class and claiming on their resume they are fluent?

Next question is... has anyone heard about the following doctors:

Dr. Laith Jazrawi
Dr. George H. McGinnis
Dr. Stephen Hunt
Dr. Craig Levitz

Right now, these remain as my top choices.  I would LOVE to be treated by Dr. Andrews, but I just do not have the money or time to fly to Alabama.  I am young (25) and just want to be active again; I need to wrestle again, if not for my own mental health.

Any input is GREAT! 

Offline lady

• Forum Faithful
  • live well laugh often love much and play hard
Re: Orthopedic Surgeon Advise
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 10:05:24 PM »
I totaly get where your coming from I had a doc I finaly had to get rid off. And asked my primary care to give me a referal to some docs. He gave me a few and I researched them. ONe of them was the celtics doc. I had to wait awhile for an appointment but it was worth it. I figure if he's good enough for a pro basketball team then he  is the doc for me. I do realy like him not just because he's the celts doc, by the way. I had a second choice I made an appointment with just incase, but didn't end up checking him out.
I don't know the docs your asking about. But if this other doc is recomending them I would research them and then make an appointment with 2 of them. If you don't feel comfortable with the one you choice a second opionion is always nice. Make sure your insurance will cover for a second opinion before you do it.
dislocated patella and chopped off most of chondal 1985
chondroplasty/medial meniscus repair 1996
ACI  quater size defect-surgery failure
lateral meniscus repair2002
chondroplasty, lateral Meniscectomy2006
synvisc & orthovisc injections 2008/2009
drained and cortizone injection 2008

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 01:15:28 PM »
I wouldn't set your sites on just doctors that have worked with professional athletes. If you do you'll seriously narrow your search and cut out some great doctors. Every doctor I have seen that had a Sports Medicine Fellowship earned that fellowship while working with professional athletes. I would think that would be the norm for sports medicine. That doesn't necessarily mean they'll be expert at your particular injury, especially if it's not even related to sports.

Offline borg56

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • born to be wired
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 02:16:30 AM »
Dude if you are in NY check out a Dr. in Jersey. His name is Harland Levine. He is at Hartzband Joint Replacement in Paramus N.J. He is an associate there as was head of NYU dieased joint hospital. He now does his hospital work out of Hackensack University Med Center. This guy is IT!!!! He will give you many goods points of veiw. If you do wind up needed a knee he is THE MAN!!!! If not he is still THE MAN (when it comes to knees anyway).
Borg56
OP's on both feet bones broken wired together
fused hip R side
l-5 fracture
R knee replaced 05 scoped a while ago
Neck fusion in 98 and a new one in 07
Neruopathy from neck to toes

Offline lady

• Forum Faithful
  • live well laugh often love much and play hard
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 03:04:52 PM »
I didn't just pic my doc because he worked with pro athletes. That was a plus. I choose him also because he has experience with ACI surgery. Also my understanding is that he is more into trying biological solutions before putting any foreign objects into your body. He also has a great way of explaing things. I felt I got my answers to my questions in one visit then I did from my old doc that I had for years. Also he made me feel like a person rather than just a bad knee. He gets that I want to be active and is helping me to become the active adult I want to be.
I would have gladly went to my other choice if I did not feel I was getting the care I was looking for. Sorry I should have explained that better in my post.

Eric- I think you should make a list of goals you want for your self concerning your knee and then write a list of ideals you want in a doctor. When you go to the docs you choose you'll have a base of what your looking for.
Good LUCK.  My son finaly went out for the high school team, after much nagging by his parents. Every weekend spent at tournys. I LOVE IT!!! What a physicaly draining sport to particitpate in and to watch. My throat and head always end up sore. LOL.
dislocated patella and chopped off most of chondal 1985
chondroplasty/medial meniscus repair 1996
ACI  quater size defect-surgery failure
lateral meniscus repair2002
chondroplasty, lateral Meniscectomy2006
synvisc & orthovisc injections 2008/2009
drained and cortizone injection 2008

Offline wen

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 04:48:21 AM »
How about Dr. Ronald Grelsamer, in NYC  he's head of PF surgery at Mammades hosp and affiliated with Hosp. for Jt. diseases.