Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Would I do it all over again? No, never again.  (Read 3161 times)

kiddthekatt

Would I do it all over again? No, never again.
« on: November 29, 2007, 10:12:26 PM »
   I've had several people in my life tell me that it had to be worth all this pain and agony to get a new knee, well, I can truly say that it has not been worth it. I am 5 weeks post op with the TKR and it's still giving me problems. Most of you have read or glanced over my post of diary, and you know this was the 3rd surgery this year on this knee. I went to my OS Monday after falling on Thanksgiving Day, but nothing was broken. After rounds and rounds of PT I am still losing Rom. My flex is stuck at 67 and my extension is +3. He is giving me 3 weeks to get my extension back to 0 or he is going to put me in a spring loaded brace. When he gets my leg straight, he will then do the MUA to get the bend. As long as I'm sitting down or in bed with my leg elevated I have no pain at all, but as soon as I put that foot on the floor, horrible pain shoots up my leg from my foot to my hip. I can not put weight on it and I'm back using the walker full time. I have an appointment with my pain management doctor on the 4th, so maybe he can do something about the pain in my leg and foot. I am so tired of this and the time it's taken out of my life. I understand that my knee has been truamatized after undergoing 3 surgeries, I guess I just expected more. Thank you all for letting me vent, I needed this today.

Angel

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
Re: Would I do it all over again? No, never again.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 11:34:05 PM »
Angel,

Your leg has had a ton of trauma induced on to it this last year.  Venting helps.  I understand that pain upon weight bearing. Your still healing.  I would not be surprised if you had a mua sooner than later.  I hope you are getting the right amount of pain meds being on a walker at five weeks is nothing to be afraid about. Keeping your knee straight is very important.  Being able to bend that knee helps.

I am not sure if you are able to lay down on your belly and hang your legs over the bed to work on your extension.  I found it to be a struggle to lay on my belly for about a month.  I had a big feather bed that I used as a body pillow or a leg raiser  at times.

I had horrible pain on my heel prior to my TKR on my other leg.  I got a cortizone shot and as I got stronger the pain went bye bye.

I think operation upon operation has jaded you and you ready be in a doctor free zone.

Hugs for today

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 03:11:44 AM »
Here is a HUGE hug for you.  It's been such a battle for you this year.  I hope you start feeling better soon and feel free to vent away.  Your poor knee has had some much done to it, it probably doesn't know what to do.  Take care of you and remember there are lots of folks praying for you and thinking of you.  :D

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline lilrosie06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • LIVE WELL. LAUGH OFTEN. LOVE MUCH.
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 05:25:57 AM »
ANGEL....I WISH I COULD GIVE YOU A GREAT BIG HUG. I CAN TOTALLY RELATE TO HOW YOU ARE FEELING.THE PAST 4 MONTHS HAS BEEN HELL. I, TOO, WAS FEELING LIKE I MADE A HUGE MISTAKE IN HAVING THE TKR...I UNDERSTAND. I REALLY DO.

I HAD MY 4TH SURGERY SINCE JUNE ON MY KNEE ON THE 2ND OF THIS MONTH. STARTED WITH A TKR. I KNEW RIGHT OFF SOMETHING WAS WRONG. I COULD NOT STRAIGHTEN THE LEG. THEY WOULD PUSH ON IT, PUT WEIGHTS ON IT, ETC. AND IT WOULD NOT BUDGE. SO IN SEPT. I HAD A MUA. THIS WORKED WELL FOR THE ROM, BUT DID NOTHING FOR THE EXTENSION. I KNEW SOMETHING WAS WRONG. IN OCT., I HAD A REVISION. WHILE INSIDE, MY OS WAS CLEANING SCAR TISSUE OUT OF THE PCL CAPSULE, AND BAM...IT COLLAPSED. AND WHEN IT DID, MY LEG IMMEDIATELY WENT STRAIGHT. AND OTHER THAN A SET BACK FROM INFECTION, FOR WHICH I HAD TO GO BACK TO THE OR ON NOV. 2, I AM FINALLY STARTING TO SHOW IMPROVEMENT. MY ROM IS 118 UNASSISTED AND 120 ASSISTED. EXTENSION IS A -2.

PLEASE DONT GIVE UP. THERE IS A LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL. I WAS AT THE POINT WHERE YOU ARE NOW. I KNOW HOW IT IS. THERE IS A REASON FOR YOUR COMPLICATIONS. I HOPE YOUR OS CAN GET TO THE BOTTOM OF IT SOON.

I CAN SAY THAT TODAY WAS THE FIRST DAY I ACTUALLY FELT LIKE I AM GOING TO GET BETTER. UP UNTIL NOW, I HAD MY DOUBTS. MY BIGGEST PROBLEM RIGHT NOW, IS THAT MY BODY IS TIRED. ITS HAD WAYYYYY TOO MUCH ANESTHESIA, NARCOTICS, ANTIBIOTICS, YOU NAME IT. I FEEL LIKE IVE BEEN RUN OVER BY A MACK TRUCK. BUT THE KNEE IS FEELING MUCH BETTER....

YOU WILL GET THERE. HANG IN THERE. ILL SAY A SPECIAL PRAYER FOR YOU, AND WILL KEEP YOU IN MY THOUGHTS ALWAYS....

IF YOU NEED ANYTHING, PLEASE, IM ME ANYTIME.

HUGS....DONNA
LEFT KNEE INJURY-1-05
SCOPE 4-05, LR 1-07, TKR 6-07, MUA 7-07, REVISION 10-07, INFECTION CLEANOUT 11-07, REVISION 4-08, EXPLANT 2-09 ANTIBIOTIC SPACER PUT IN, AND PICC LINE FOR 6 WEEKS
REPLACEMENT 5-09

BACK IN PT NOW....HIP AND FOOT PAIN, POSSIBLY SCIATIC

kiddthekatt

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 10:15:16 AM »
Good morning;
  Well, here I am again, I've been up since around 3 am. But at least when I do get to sleep I sleep very hard. That's an improvement over what I was doing last week. My knee feels pretty good, but that blasted pain that runs from my toes all the way to my hip is really taking it's toll. If I didn't have that pain constantly, I would be feeling a lot better. While I was at the OSs office Mon, he ran another doppler on me( or his PA did) and there is no sign of a clot. It just hurts.

Donna;
   I'm so happy to hearthat you are finally headed in the right direction. You also have had your share of crap this year. I hope this finds you feeling well, and you will be ready for Christmas.

Milly;
   It's so nice to hear from you. Here lately I find it too draining to try and answer everyones posts, so please don't think I've forgotten all of you guys. How are the knees? I sure hope they are behaving and giving you a break.

Plumb;
   Thank you for replying. I've tried just about every thing to get this knee to bend, but to no avail. I'm working now on my extension, it's better than it was Monday, I can feel and see the difference. If I can get that extension back and keep it, then the OS is going to do the MUA. I dread that mainly because I have hardly any pain at all in my knee now, and after the MUA I know that it's going to hurt like he**. I just dread that pain starting all over again. And you are right, I am jaded as far as surgery goes, I'm really tired of them.

Take care all;
Angel

Offline Sandy_F

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 12:53:27 PM »
I had a lot of pain after my first TKR.  I was losing ROM and could not walk on my own.  This was 3 months out.  I finally had that MUA.  I will admit it was not fun but it ended up being the best thing I could have done.  I did not have an enormous ROM increase but the pain did decrease tremendously.  I went from using crutches to walking unaided within a week.  I had a major decrease in pain and was able to work on rom much more comfortably.  My knee was pretty tramatized that year too.  I had an scope where the OS said I needed the TKR.  During the TKR I also had a lateral release and a modified TTT.  Plus a piece of bone was inserted into the patella tendon to work as a patella as I had a patellectomy 5 years prior.  So I was coming out of some pretty heavy surgery and encountering PTs that did not know how to deal with the patella issues.  Tomorrow it will be 9 years and things are good.  It took a very long time and a lot of work but things improved and are good.  Better than I would ever have thought.  Give yourself time.  Your knee has been majorily tramatized and needs to recover. 
Right knee - 14 surgeries including a fulkerson, patellectomy and finally a TKR.  Left knee - Lateral release, microfracture, TKR, then another LR, spacer replacement.

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 06:56:16 PM »
Hey Angel - don't worry about not keeping up!  I'm doing pretty good, the cold is causing a bit of grief, but it always has so I'm managing.  The right knee is more stiff and has been swelling slightly, but I did go for a walk (for work, not by choice!) in the cold Wednesday, so it's likely saying how much it did not like that!  Ah well.  It gets cold this far north, so it will have to get used to it.  :D  If I can keep the knees warm, they are not too bad.  So here I sit at work legs wrapped in a blanket.  Looks funny, but hurts less.  I wear a hat when it's cold too, even if it's not "cool".  I don't care about cool so much as comfort anymore.  I tell my kids that some day they will too.

I hope you are feeling better today.

This might cheer you up a bit.....My husband brought up our artificial Christmas tree yesterday.  We went to my in-laws so he could fix their snow blower (got like .25 in and my father-in-law was worried).  When we got back, my son was walking by the tree and yelled for me to come look.  Nestled up near the top of the tree, fast asleep, was our kitten.  It was so funny!  I wish I would have gotten a picture!

Take care Angel, hope you feel better.

Milly 
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline kathat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Aussie, Aussie, Aussie
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 02:12:09 PM »
Hi Angel,
You have every right to be sick and tired of it all after all the surgery you have been through this year. I am struggling to recover from my one minor(ish) surgery and I think if I was told I'd have to have another one right now then I'd just break down and do nothing but cry. I don't know how you have managed to cope. Certainly don't feel bad for venting your feelings. Here's a big hug to help ((((((((((((HUG))))))))))))))).
Kathy xx

kiddthekatt

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 08:30:16 PM »
  Hello all;
     Well it's a new day and a new pain :'( :'(. My hips feel like they are going to explode!! I swear this is getting so tiring. One good thing tho is that my extension is looking better. I still have the all over the leg pain, from my toes to my hip, but the leg is getting straighter. I have an appointment with my pain doc Tue. I'm going to ask him about meds to catch that outbreak pain between med times. It doesn't always happen but when it does, I have to wait until it's time to take my meds because he is very strict with the medications. If you run out before your next appointment, it's your bad. I'm very disappointed in my physio at the moment. I went twice last week and I did nothing more than I do at home. I called my OSs PA and told her what was going on and that I had decided to do my PT at home. I push myself harder and do more here, and it saves me from having to get up and drive 25 miles to PT. She spoke to my OS and he OKed me doing my PT at home. As long as I really push to get the leg straight. I agreed bacause I am not crazy about having to wear a spring loaded brace.

Kathy;
   Thank you for your kind words. My OS gave me an anti-depresent and it works miracles, but I still tend to just burst into tears for no reason. Thank God my family loves me, because if not they would have had me locked up months ago.

Milly;
   I hear you on being comfortable verses being cool. I used to try and look about halfway decent but anymore, gve me a pair of boxer shorts and a t-shirt and I'm ready to boogy(ya right)
I've caught my Kidd in our tree several times in the past two days. He has a fixation with a red ornament. So I just turn on the train that circles the tree and he high tails it away real fast.

Sandy;
  Congrats on finally feeling as you should. I'm not sure if it was the first OS who messed up or if the PKR components didn't fit, but that was the start to a year of misery. If I could just get 1 day that I felt like all of this was worth the pain and agony, then maybe my life would settle down. I haven't gotten there yet, but I pray every day.

I think I'll lay back down and put a heating pad on my hips. I hope you all a nice calm Sunday. Be safe and pain free.

Angel

Offline kathat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Aussie, Aussie, Aussie
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 10:56:39 PM »
Our darling kitty is too old to climb the tree anymore. I miss her fun antics. She was a hoot when she was younger. Now she quietly patters in for cuddles and attention, and yowls to remind us to top up her water (which she goes through like there's no tomorrow). I am hoping that hubby will see the light and let me get another cat when Kate goes. I haven't been without a cat since primary school. While I love our Lab, there is nothing quite like a cat for a pet.

Comfy is good! I have taken to wearing trackpants to work. They are the same colour as my work pants, and are a similar looking fabric, so I get away with it. They are by far warmer than my proper work pants, and I can get to my knees to massage them, rub in deep heat or anti-inflammatory gel, or adjust my braces.

Angel, what's a heating pad? Is it a powered device? Or just a microwave job? I use a lot of heat for my OA, and am interested in any new ways of applying it.

I can understand about wasting your time with the PT. I have had ones like that. My current one is pretty good, and just monitors my progress in short visits. I don't see him often, and when I do he checks my gait, strength, pain levels, scar tissue, crepitus etc. Then he adjusts my regime accordingly. It's much easier to do the bulk of the work at home.

Keep hanging in there.
Hugs,
Kathy

Offline OldCoot

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 12:36:33 PM »
The toe to hip pain sounds like it could be a nerve causing the pain and I'd go see a good pain clinic Doctor for a consultation. Generally we hear pain is isolated to a particular area but yours is in the whole leg and foot. A relative has leg pain and sees a pain Dr and he knows what to do and she is much better. Those Dr's go to school to learn about what causes pain and I am surprised your Dr hasn't referred you to a pain clinic. But then, some Dr's are egotistical maniacs and think they are the ultimate. If your Dr doesn't refer you then you can schedule an appointment on your own. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH GETTING A SECOND OPINION, OR EVEN A THIRD.
The fact is, you hurt and somewhere there is somebody that can tell you why then fix it. 

support