Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Football/Soccer Nut - PLEASE HELP  (Read 3381 times)

Offline SRJ

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Football/Soccer Nut - PLEASE HELP
« on: March 06, 2003, 05:05:22 PM »
I had an ACL op Jan 2002, and just had a partial menisectomy in Jan 2003.

8 weeks post op, I returned to play football(soccer) but I can now feel pain in the SAME mensci/cartlidge area as post op!!!

PLEASE advise if wearing a knee support is a good idea or detrimental in the long term?

Is a knee brace worth it?

Thanks ???

Offline oneillii

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
Re: Football/Soccer Nut - PLEASE HELP
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2003, 06:30:54 PM »
Hi there

First off wanted to give you a bit of advice: try posting this question under "Not sure where to go" "Rehab" or "Meniscus" and you will probably get more replies.

Secondly, I am 16 weeks post op for a partial (medial) menisectomy and there is NO WAY I could even play football now. And I was very athletic prior to surgery.

I was still having joint line pain at 8 weeks post op and was trying to walk 15 minutes at a stretch, let alone run!!! My trainer is just now starting me out on a light running program (tomorrow--and even then we're not sure I'm ready...)

Don't know how old you are but I think you may need a little more time to heal  :) Don't worry it does get better! Susan
arthroscopy 11/06/02

Offline SRJ

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2003, 12:36:03 PM »
Thank you for your reply. I am 27 years old. I had the same op as you.

I've been told by my physio to run 10mins every day for the next week and then I can play football again!

Do you think I should give it more time before going back?

Thanks again. ;)

Offline oneillii

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2003, 04:53:55 PM »
Hi SRJ

I have to admit I'm a bit baffled by your physio's directive to "run 10 minutes every day" if you still have pain and swelling...

From what I understand, we are supposed to "build up" to running...i.e. if we can do 15 minutes walking at a good clip, then we might try a 1 minute jog, then the next day add a minute, etc. etc. If you want, I will post here exactly what my trainer has me do today (she's going to try to introduce running into my program).

I went on a long walk yesterday...about an hour...and I still had pain at the end of it (of course I was pushing a carriage with my daughter in it, plus a 100 lb beast that is our family pet attached to it!)

How are your quad muscles? (The VMO specifically) I found that as my VMO got stronger, I experienced less pain.

Also...I got orthotics to support my arches and my medial pain was immediately decreased by at least 75%. I wear them when I work out, too...
arthroscopy 11/06/02

Offline SRJ

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2003, 02:39:20 PM »
Any advice on strengthening my VMO and quads would be excellent. Thank you for your help.

Raja ;D

Offline oneillii

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2003, 05:18:31 PM »
Hey Raja

Definitely check out the exercises on the kneeguru homepage, as well as the Rehab and Patellofemoral Joint back posts in this website.

I am still doing the isometric quad sets (where you press the leg into a rolled up towel while sitting on the floor with legs extended--great for isolating the VMO. Also still doing single leg raises. I do squats, 10 for a 5 count, and single leg squats, 3 sets of 10. Then I do a "bridge" exercise I learned for the hamstrings (too difficult to describe here, but ask your PT for one). These are all things I do at home or on the road if I'm working. I shoot for twice a day but usually just get in one session.

At the gym I do the bike or the elliptical trainer; sometimes swim. Then on machines I do the hip abductor and adductor machines, and double and single leg presses.

My trainer also has me doing a lot of balance work; i.e. squats while standing on a wobble board or bit of foam tubing.

Are you seeing a PT right now Raja? Let me know if there are any specific questions you have about the exercises, or if you have a PT the can recommend stuff as well. Anyway, it has taken me at least 10 weeks to see real improvement, so there is hope! Let us know how you are doing, OK? Susan
arthroscopy 11/06/02

Offline Netty

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'day from Down Under.
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2003, 06:51:32 PM »
hi,
I started back at my sports a few months ago after 3 years and 3 recons. I got a good Donjoy hinged brace and I wouldnt be able to play without it, It makes me feel confident and safe to play but my physio said braces can sometimes result in more bad than good. He says that wearing a brace can stop you from actually rebuilding the muscles in the proper way and balance and this can lead to other out of alignment things. I dont care, Im just happy to be able to get out there and try again. Netty
Broke the cruciate and damaged the medial and lateral ligs playing softball.Hammy ACl recon Feb 2000(failed).Hammy ACL recon Aug 01(failed).Medial repair and Lateral loop Dec 01(failed).Still unstable

support