Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: LARS ligament success  (Read 8804 times)

Offline norcalgirl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
LARS ligament success
« on: November 25, 2007, 08:35:37 PM »
I created a web page with my son's knee story:  www.keepmovingusa.com

Offline knee-will-be-great

• Forum Faithful
  • Open-wedge HTO & ACL allograft done (YES!)
    • ACL Allograft #3 Post-Surgery Rehab/Wellness Diary
Re: LARS ligament success
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 06:01:27 PM »
To Norcalgirl:

Your link to your son's knee injury is PRODUCT PLACEMENT and a MARKETING PLOY.  It has very little to do with your son - and EVEYTHING TO DO WITH THE LARS SYNTHETIC LIGAMENT that you are so intent on marketing to the Kneegeek community.

The dot COM at the end of keepitmovingusa - denotes your website as a commencial website.

Please show us Kneegeeks your scientific and business credentials that allow you to make such claims and statements of advocacy on your website about the LARS synthetic ligament product.

I read with some interest your website about the LARS synthetic ligaments.  I do not know of any OS in Canada who uses this method - although you state it is approved for use in Canada.  Where are the first class hockey players and other sportsters who are lining up to have this surgery done?  And talking about it openly?

Quite frankly, reading your single-minded- hype makes my blood boil.

I would dare say that the company producing and selling LARS products would have to authorise a supposed "arms-length" individual such as yourself to be a de facto advocate of this LARS synthetiic ligament product. 

Otherwise the company would have shut your website down - if they did not approve of your (their)website, design it and fund it - with you as one of their spokespeople.  It would have to meet all of their legal, marketing, product placement and risk management requirements. 

Which means the company created it - and you are their front room girl, so to speak. 

Yeah, such an innocuous person, the "mom" of a (now) college athlete, whose son had so-called "successful" multiple ligamentous reconstruction using a synthetic ligament product - and then returned to varsity football 4 weeks after surgery.  Tell me how many well-repsected and crdible orthopaedic surgeons and physiotherapists would allow such a quick return to twisting and turning sports.  Why don't you state their names>? 

You are full of crap.

You can try to play the victim - and state that you are unfairly being targeted - but we Kneegeeks are smart people and we do see through such comments.

Every comment you make on your website is singlemindedly directed to promoting the LARS product and the orthopaedic surgeons who operate on some (only some) patients using this LARS ACL technique.

I could not see a company with a credible product allowing just anyone to create an "advocacy" website without that company's legal and marketing and risk management team being involved. 

So you ARE part of the LARS product sales team, be it pro bono or otherwise.

It is a well-known fact that synthetic ligaments stretch and then break up and create extensive problems in a person's body a few years down the line.

Moreover, the ligament is a "PRODUCT", where according to standard business practises a "PROFIT" must be made and the targeted "return on shareholder investment" must also be made to ensure that the product stays viable and therefore continues being in the market and increases its annual sales.  Increasing annual sales of LARS products is what it is all about from a business perspective.

In one of your postings, you state/suggest that the company producing LARS synthetic ligaments is not in it for money.  With this statement, you are trying to twist vulnerable people on this website into believing that there is a "magic bullet" solution to ligmament tears.  That is not true.  There is no quick fix or magic solution to ligament tears.

While this LARS procedure may have been considered the best at the time for your son (perhaps from a cost perspective - because of the extent of his injuries), I would dare say that your advocating a synthetic replacement ligamentous product without substantiating your claims with links to a veritable pile of de facto longitudinal studies and literature presented in peer-reviewed orthopaedic journals by well-regarded orthopaedic researchers is totally inappropriate. 
Moreover, I feel that it is an insult to the intelligence of many Knegeeks for you to present such hype on this Kneegeeks website.

At this point in time you are just presenting subjective commentaries - not objective facts or studies involving thousands of LARS ACL patients who have been followed for at least 10 to 15 years.

***The short term recovery of a handful of people does not mean the product is good or safe or in the best long term interests of the patient who receives the LAS synthetic ACLs.

You may be only a cheerleader for this LARS product, or you may be a paid advocate. 

Either or, your unscientific advocacy of said product on this Kneegeeks website just does not sit well in my gut. 

Moreover, you advocate the "cheapeness" of a flight to Dubai to have said LARS surgery done. 

Like many marketers and consumers have said about many products ... "You get what you pay for."

In summary, your advocacy of the LARS ACL product just does not sound right.  Perhaps the deal is that your son receive free medical care for his knee whilst you advocate the LARS synthetic ACL.  Or perhaps not - but we really do not know - do we?

Irrepsective of the fact that the LARS product is kntted and the Goretex ligaments were woven, the ligaments are synthetic and do seem to break down and/or harden - yes?

PS

To Norcalgirl:

Your comment "Another guy from our town saw my son's success and had his acl repaired there(took 15 min--he filmed it for utube!)" ...

Oh yeah, the very fact that an ACL procedure took only 15 minutes says a lot of nothing - except perhaps a commentary about production line surgery and no consideration or no caring as to the attention to detail required for this surgery. 

My OS took 2.5 hours to repair my knee - carefully.

KWBG
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 06:58:18 PM by knee-will-be-great »
Medial Menisectomy, 1 ACL Autograft, 3 ACL Allografts, HTO, numerous debridements, good now :)
ACL Allograft #3 Post-Surgery Rehab/Wellness Diary http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=37218.0;all
ACL Reconstruction VIDEOS http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=37773.0

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 07:32:33 AM »
Hey Norcalgirl aka Becky Thomas!!!

Here are some responses to your unscientific and silly comments:

FROM BOB'S ACL Knee Board:

http://www.factotem.org/cgi-bin/kneebbs.pl/noframes/read/323558

Here it is in print:

Bob's ACL WWWBoard

Re: LARS LIGAMENTS

Posted By: Meowkitkat <[email protected]>
Date: Tuesday, 13 November 2007, at 3:31 p.m.

In Response To: LARS LIGAMENTS (Becky Thomas)

"I have read all of your posts. It is unbelievable to me that you can say that any surgery is easy. I have had more surgeries than I care to count. Any time you disturb the knee problems can occur. Swelling, scar tissue, infections, pain, and a whole list of other issues abound. You must have a healing time. It may be shorter with LARS but you still have a healing time. You statements have gone from what could be believable to those of desperation and unbelief. I don't know if the LARS ligament will work. I do know that the knee is the most fragile of joints and is the worst designed in the body. Anytime it is disturbed there is the possibility for problems and definitely need for healing. Lack of swelling does not mean no healing.

If you want to be believable make believable statements. Short recovery - ok, no healing - no way. If its so easy why do you have to wait til the next day to walk out of the hospital? Too much defense and too much protesting is going on."

ACL Allograft #3 Post-Surgery Rehab/Wellness Diary http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=37218.0;all
ACL Reconstruction VIDEOS http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=37773.0

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 07:39:23 AM »
Dear Kneegeeks,

Here is more hilarity about LARS and the rep Norcalgirl / Becky Thomas' comments about LARS:

NOTE: Norcalgirl's responses have arrows next to the left hand side of the text.

The guy who responded to her comments has numbered his comments.

His numbered comments appear directly below her original statements.

http://www.factotem.org/cgi-bin/kneebbs.pl/noframes/read/323170

« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 07:43:30 AM by knee-will-be-great »
Medial Menisectomy, 1 ACL Autograft, 3 ACL Allografts, HTO, numerous debridements, good now :)

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 02:31:07 PM »
More idiocy about LARS ...

Here is Becky Thomas aka Norcalgirl peddling her product on another website. 

http://www.knee1.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=7&threadid=17256&enterthread=y

Here is an excerpt from that mess she wrote ...

"A snowboarder had his ACL repaired this spring and it took 12 minutes---walked away the next day..just because it isn't available here doesn't mean it's not the best option. LARS are approved for use all over the world since 1992. Dr. Barisani alone has done over 500 ACL's in Vienna over the last 2 yrs. The cost was a fraction of what it would have been here. The re-hab was hardly noticeable. We as consumers think that if it isn't FDA approved that it isn't good---"

Wow, 12 minutes to do an ACL!?  :o :o :o  Sign me up!!! (LOL, ROTFLMAO)  ;D ;D ;D

ANSWER: Because no scientifically-educated person would likely have the stomach to be the front man / front woman for such a product.  The LARS ligament will, like other synthetic ligaments before it, have a 100% failure rate and shred into the knees of their hapless recipients, thus creating problems upon problems. 

WHY is the LARS sales rep not discussing the estimated useful life of this product in its knee patient recipients?

WHEN THE LARS LIGAMENT SHREADS: Who will be able to take care of these patients after the fact when this happens?  What will LARS' product liability be at that time?  Yeah, what about product liability?  What about post-surgery care when something goes wrong?

I would think that the product liability is so high that Orthopaedic Surgeons in the USA would never be amenable to using these products.

SUMMARY: Any product that has such an unprofessional approach to marketing its product is very, very, very suspect.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 02:50:07 PM by knee-will-be-great »