Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Pain after exercising bad knee  (Read 983 times)

Offline FJ

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Pain after exercising bad knee
« on: November 23, 2007, 03:42:43 PM »
Hello

I've recently joined a gym with the aim of increasing my strength and getting my knee better :)
I'm doing a combination of cycling, light jogging, powerplates, treadclimber, cross trainer, 'weights' using machines

I've not idea what is wrong with my right knee.
Its hurt for 5 years.
3 MRI's show 'wear and tear' but its extremely painful and I thought this might be down to lack of strength and having knocked-knees.

Question: -
I've noticed an increase in pain since exercising :'(
I'm constantly feeling a pain under the kneecap and tingling.... like a nervy pain.  Also it shoots down my calf at the back.
When squatting I feel a deep pain inside the joint towards the back.  It gets worse when I sit ironically.

Any idea's what this could be?  And any view on whether any level of pain is to be expected if you're exercising? Shoud I just put up with it?

plica syndrome
athroscopy left knee plica removal
meniscus degeneration
osteo arthritis

Offline Landshark70

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Pain after exercising bad knee
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 07:54:46 PM »
FJ,

There are many possible causes for your symptoms. It could be something like a meniscus injury, chondromalacia, tendonitis, ligament issues, etc. I will suggest taking it easy on the knee for a while and avoid deep bending exercises and make an appointment with a OS. Some problems can be fixed if you get to an OS quickly, but if you have had degenerative issues that might be what is catching up to you. If you still want to exercise it I would focus on the exercise bike and avoid jogging and the treadclimber. Usually stairs will increase pain in the knee joint if you have issues like a meniscus injury, chondromalacia.

Good luck
  ~shark~

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: Pain after exercising bad knee
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 08:21:42 AM »
When you have pain like that, under the kneecap, open chain exercises like squats are bad, when you add weight on top of an already ticked off joint, it will react with more pain. You should stick to unloaded work like cardio, bike, swimming, etc. "weight lifting" with the legs, such as in squats, leg press, etc can make the kneecap pain worse. Some of the pain you have in the back of the knee could be what I'd had at one point... bursitis... which is an inflammation of connective tissues around the outside of the knee, not inside the joint.

Sadly, the "cure" for bursitis and for kneecap pain is to not stress the knee, to massage the sore area where the bursitis is, and using weight machines is stress.

Stick to upper body with the weights, and do cardio more with the lower body. If you're really needing overall leg strengthening, then you might need to stick with very low weight (less than 5 lbs) and lots of reps.

Best advice, get a physical therapy consult to get more information about how the exercises you do cause pain, and what you can change so that you make the knee stronger safely. I'm not saying you need to go to physical therapy on a regular basis, but to learn what to do or not do to allow you to exercise and not make things worse.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.