Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Confused newbie looking for answers!  (Read 2924 times)

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: Confused newbie looking for answers!
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2008, 07:13:32 PM »
Hi Martin

One problem that you will have to consider, is that you will be restricted in ikneeling - this applies to most knee injuries......

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Mart

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2008, 07:46:26 PM »
what forever? a few weeks/months/years?

is it a case that i'll be overall fit, but kneeling will cause me problems for the longest time after the op?

any and every info welcome. i'm completely in the dark about what's gonna happen

cheers,

Martin

Offline Marjan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2008, 09:52:47 PM »
Hey Martin,

Your recovery time is really going to be dependent on what it is the OS is going to find inside your knee.  If indeed you have a bucket handle tear, and he can repair it, you'll be on crutches for maybe as long as 6 weeks to give the meniscus a change to heal (it heals slowly since there is little to no blood flow in it). If he goes in just to do a "trimming" of the meniscus and a clearing out (debridement) of loose cartilage you may be up and around within a week. If you have other cartilage damage (like on the head of your femoral condyle) he may do more extensive work.  MRI's don't always show meniscus problems, nor can they always detect articular cartilage damage.  The arthroscopic surgery itself, with the small portal, or key hole incision will take at least a couple of days to get over.  The knee joint is basically flushed and "rooted around" in, so you'll be sore and may have some swelling.  The best medicine after an arthroscopic surgery is rest, ice and elevation of the limb.  As a minimum I'd give myself a week off to truly rest and heal the knee. (Obviously, if you can afford to do so).  Then I'd either look at another week of part time, or easier work ... But, it maybe longer depending on the diagnosis and treatment during surgery.  It doesn't matter what we say....it's your doc who will tell you what you can/can't do.  Just thought I'd give you one scenario to think about.

Best of luck -

marjan

ps All the symptoms you've described sound very much like a meniscal tear......one of the easier ones to get worked on!!!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 09:54:34 PM by Marjan »

Offline Mart

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2008, 10:16:44 PM »
Marjan,

Cracking response, thank you.

you've given a good idea of the best case scenario from what i read. thankfully i work for a housing trust, so its not like a need to rush back to work, i'll still get full pay for 6 months regardless. just wanted to be as honest with them as i could regarding what to expect from me. I'll probably get signed off for 2 weeks after the op anyway, but as you say, if he finds something more invasive to do in the joint, it could lengthen the process greatly.

thanks again,

Martin

support