Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: SURFERS Knee  (Read 2313 times)

Offline MHOkauai

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
SURFERS Knee
« on: December 13, 2008, 05:48:50 AM »
Hello, I am new here, and am hoping to answer a question about my knee.
I live in Hawaii, and surf in boardshorts almost every day where my knee is exposed
(apart from having wetsuit protection). For several years, every great once and a while,
I get SHARP-SHARP pain just under my kneecap when i duckdive waves. This is only when
my knee is pushed directly onto the stringer (wooden thin strip running lenghtwise in the center) of my board.
When this happens, prety rarely, it's very painful,but goes away in about 3 minutes or so. THe other day, i had a serious knee pain attack after
pushing my knee hard against the stringer. When i touch a certain little part on my knee, i get the same sharp pain.
during the day, nothing. But the spot is super sensitive, and has kept me out of the water.
I thought this would be a smart place to ask for help. Thank you and Aloha.

Offline ghost

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • left knee
Re: SURFERS Knee
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 06:28:56 AM »
Hi,

I'm definitely jealous of your location, I'm in New Hampshire where the temp is 20 degrees and there is a 1/2" coating of ice on every surface in the great outdoors.

On a more serious note, I'm no doc, but am a veteran of 5 knee surgeries so I can appreciate the pain aspect pretty well.

I have a couple of questions.  Does the knee hurt under any other conditions such as going up or down stairs,  getting up from a chair or when your foot is planted and you twist the leg at the knee?  There are number of thing that can cause knee pain, but what you are describing sounds more like a surface type issue rather than a tendon or acl/pcl injury.  You could have a meniscus tear, but with pain under the patella that isn't likely.  That pain is usually more in the jointline along either side of the knee.  It is possible that you have some torn or missing cartilage under the patella.   When your knee isn't flexed it doesn't put pressure on the groove that the knee rides in but when you bend it with weight on it it engages that area. If there is cartilage missing than you are pressing bone against bone wiithout a layer of cushioning and that will cause some significant pain

My two cents would be to get the name of a good ortho surgeon and have him take a look at it.  Otherwise you risk making the problem worse without even realizing it.  Trust me, as a veteran of  5 knee surgeries you don't want to do that.  My last surgery was 10 days ago and they picked holes in the back of the patella to try to get my body to produce some new cells to fill in the area whee I have no cartilage.  The surgical techinique is called Microfracture.  The surgery isn't terrible but it is a long rehab and I'm now stuck in a brace that goes from my ankle to my butt for the next 8 weeks.  After that I will be able to start formal physical therapy and during weeks 9 to 12 I'll be able to increase the angles in the brace so that I will be able to bend it more. For the next 8 weeks I can only bend it 30 degrees.  That's just enough to allow you to walk without tripping.

Keep me posted.

Sue
rt k med meniscus 1983
rt k lat meniscus 2001
lft k med meniscus 12/07
lft knee medial meniscus 6/08 with chondroplasty & debridement of the suprapatella pouch
lft knee trochlear groove MFX 12/2/08 with chondroplasty and debridement of the suprapatella pouch
7/31/09 trochlear groove resurfacing

Offline bavage

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Meniscectomy 8/07 TKR 7/08 MUA 10/08
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 12:23:55 PM »
You have located the source of the problem and that is good. You should now have it checked out as knee problems tend to not go away.
Certified Dietary Manager, ServSafe Proctor, Options Trader.           

AKA, The Curmudgeon

Offline MHOkauai

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 07:19:26 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.

To answer a few questions Sue, the answer is pretty much NO to all the things you asked.
Doesn't hurt when i bend, move, twist, shake, move fast, anything with movement.
So, that is good. It's got to be a surface problem then?

I have pinpointed the area, actually drew a small "X" with sharpie on my knee where it hurts.
The X is almost exactly as large as the area of the tip of my pointer finger (not too big).
Here's the thing... If i press on that spot ever so slightly, it really hurts. Just in that spot, exactly.
The harder i press the more it'll hurt, until it becomes excruciating, just by pressing.
Weird. But all around the little X is fine. No pain, no problem, all normal. hmmm?
Maybe there is a tiny piece of cartilage, or maybe a little fracture in the bone somehow, Bone on bone maybe?
Frustrating.

Any comments?

Thank you
MIKE

Offline ghost

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • left knee
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 09:13:04 AM »
Mike,

The lack of other symptoms is a good sign.  My guess is that it is a surface problem.  You might have a fractured patella or an area where there is cartilage missing.  I think you should get in for an xray and have it checked  The fact that it has been ongoing for such a long period of time tells me that there is either something that you are doing that is keeping it from healing or it is a problem that won't heal without some intervention.  Cartilage has little if any blood supply and doesn't have the ability to heal on its own.

Knees are tricky things.  Befoe my last surgery all of my pain was in the supra patella pouch (above the knee and outside of the knee joint in the part of the quad that attaches to the knee), but my OS felt that the pain was originating from the missing cartiage under the patella.  I hope he was iright because for the past year I've been going up and down stairs one leg at a time and only sitting in chairs with arms so I could get back up without too much of a problem.  I acted and felt 80 rather than 50 and had to give but my gym membership because anything I did at the gym made it worse.

Keep me posted.

Sue
rt k med meniscus 1983
rt k lat meniscus 2001
lft k med meniscus 12/07
lft knee medial meniscus 6/08 with chondroplasty & debridement of the suprapatella pouch
lft knee trochlear groove MFX 12/2/08 with chondroplasty and debridement of the suprapatella pouch
7/31/09 trochlear groove resurfacing