Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Confused newbie looking for answers!  (Read 2766 times)

Offline Mart

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Confused newbie looking for answers!
« on: November 22, 2007, 04:59:43 PM »
Hi,

I'm sooo glad there's a forum for this sort of thing, and checking on a few posts here, there's some really knowledgeable people too!

Back in April 2007 I was playing football when i turned on my left knee to volley the ball. As I did so there was a loud ripping noise and i felt as though my thigh had slipped off the top of my knee (one of my freinds heard the rip 20 yards away and thought it was my shorts that ripped, sadly it wasn't). The pain was tremendous and it made me physically sick which i've never done before! Anyway I finally gathered myself together  and was taken home for ICE treatment. The next day its was really swollen and painful, so i went to A&E where it was looked at, and about 1 pint of blood was drained out from inside my knee (this helped ease the pain temporarily, and i was told that my ACL was probably gone.

Over the next month it settled down and i was able to live with it, so when i had an appointment from the doctors to see someone about it at the end of June (!), I declined as I wasn't having any major problems. The only difficulty i found is when i tried to play golf, i felt my knee "slip off" on my backswing, I solved this problem by stopping playing golf!!!

Well 2 weeks ago I went to stand up from a low stool, and felt something go in my knee. Since then I have had alot of pain on the inside of my leg, feels like its on the joint (which is actually tneder to touch). My knee really hurts if i try to twist it outwards. Well starngly this pain has been coming and going. some days I can't sleep and am on crutches all day, and some days i can run upstairs like lightening (but i can still fell a little pain).

Well I saw an orthepedic surgeon today, and he assessed it. after pulling it about alot he thought the ACL was ok, but there was definatly some carteledge damage, so sent me off for an MRI scan.

I came back from the MRI and went to see him again. He showed me the results and said that the ACL looked fine, and he couldn't see any damage there at all, so didn't recommend any surgeory at all!! He just said to start taking glucosamine tablets and he was refering me for physiotherapy.

Now I'm stumped, my knee still hurts and i cannot work, especialy as i don't know from day to the next if i'll need my crutches or not. CAn anyone give any suggestions as to what might be wrong, or what i can do. I agree the MRI looked ok, but I didn't know what to look for anyway!

Please help, I feel that if he had found something and had to do surgeory, at least I'd know what was going on, and when it would be better. Now i'm in no mans land as to what the future holds, and I feel as though the doc thinks i was wasting his time!

Thanks,

Martin

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
Re: Confused newbie looking for answers!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 05:28:34 PM »
Although your OS didn't seem to be a lot of help, it is good that he referred you to a physical therapist.  The physical therapist will perform their own assessment and if they feel that the OS missed something they will talk to them. 

With the bloody effusion in your knee, I would concerned about an ACL tear.  Sometimes the ACL, after a tear, can fuse with the PCL and give the illusion of a stable knee on exam, but functionally is worthless.  I'm not sure how this would appear on an MRI, but I could see how the ligament would appear normal.  The physical therapy will not do any harm to your knee, and could help even if the ACL torn as better muscular control can compensate for the lack of ligamentous support. 

Try the physical therapy, and if you are still having problems make sure that the PT is making your OS aware of it.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 05:32:16 PM »
Martin, welcome here.
A Mri doesn't always show all problems. I had had both articular cartilage damage and meniscus tear and also a growth, like a band not showing up. This was at 2 different occasions.
Have you started phys yet ? Is your joint unstable ?
A second or third opinion is never wrong. Did he explain what you should achieve with phys and the supplement ?
The best thing to really know what is going on in a knee is doing a scope..have a look inside the knee with camera.
You should at least not be put off without knowing what is going on.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 208
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 06:51:17 PM »
Hi Martin

I would suggest a second opinion as " it won`t go away " -

Sleep with a cushion/pillow between your legs

Best wishes

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Mart

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 07:55:37 PM »
John,

do you know any good nhs dr's to see? I live in Cheshire and went to that new orthopedic hospital in runcorn, and saw a hungarian called tamas khustos. tbh he didn't really seem bothered what was up with me.

martin

Offline suehaem

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 08:29:38 PM »
Hi Martin,

I live in North Wales but I went to Gobowen, Oswestry, Shropshire - 2hr drive but worth it and saw a sports injury chap Dai Rees who was very good.  My MRI came back normal but he decided to take a look as I was not getting any better and sorted my problem behind the knee cap and the pictures he took inside shows the damage clearly so it is possible for the MRI to miss things.  Definately worth getting another opinion.

Good luck

Sue
 ;D
Fall from horse 04/04
Arthroscopy 27/07/07 -Grade III debridement
Re-injured knee running 1/03/08
Arthroscopy 11/10/08 - Grade II debridement
09/03/16 Fracture fib sking damage to knees
31/05/16 Grade 4 Chondromalacia and patella tilt (R)
17/11/16 Need new knee cap (L)knee
Awaiting Arthroscopy 2018

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 02:28:51 PM »
Hi Martin

The best Orthopaedic Consultants in your area are at Wrighton, but to the best of my knowledge, they are all private.

Cheshire NHS trust would not allow you to cross the border to another trust.

John

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline ekbote

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 09:10:27 PM »
Martin, welcome here.
A Mri doesn't always show all problems. I had had both articular cartilage damage and meniscus tear and also a growth, like a band not showing up. This was at 2 different occasions.
Have you started phys yet ? Is your joint unstable ?
A second or third opinion is never wrong. Did he explain what you should achieve with phys and the supplement ?
The best thing to really know what is going on in a knee is doing a scope..have a look inside the knee with camera.
You should at least not be put off without knowing what is going on.

Nettan,
Can you tell me what treatments you underwent for this? My knee situation reads (from my arthroscopy report) very similar to yours. That's why I'm curious.

Offline smurf1979

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 09:16:30 PM »
I believe there's a very good knee clinic at the Nuffield in Chester. Mainly private but may be worth seeing if they do any NHS work.
Jo
Aged 29
LR 1995
Arthroscopy 1996, 1997
06/2007 - Accident at work - Believed to be torn lateral meniscus.
Scope on 11th July - Tomorrow!!!!

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 05:53:01 AM »
Ekbote, I had debridement of the areas with cartilage damage and a meniscectomy. The band I had was cut out and the ROM got better after as that stopped me from full extension.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Mart

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 09:53:02 PM »
Hellooooooooo!!

Well i'm sorry for loving you and leaving you as it were, and i come back to you with cap in hand due to resurfacing problems.

shortly after my last post in november, my knee just felt better. completely painless and no problems with movement! So when i got an appointment to see the physio 6 weeks later, i decided there was no point me going, as i didn't have a problem anymore (i can hear the Mr Manwaring voices mumble "stupid boy" already!).

Well since then every month or so i've had the odd sudden intense pain in my knee when doing something as simple as walking (only every couple of weeks or so). I've been playing a bit of football too, with no major problems. Then 6 weeks ago my knee went again, just like it did last time, and i was on crutches for 3 days, then as fast as it came, it went.

since then i've noticed the sharp pain (like it locks up or something) when walking, almost every other day. It makes me swear quite loudly, but it only hurts for a second. Plus i've notice my knee keeps "slipping off" as i call it when twisting (on sunday it was when i moved a bag of compost, needless to say i ended up on the patio wearing most of it!), and its starting to annoy me more n more.

So, 

should i go back to my GP and get that second opinion you recomended? should i go to him and just ask for a physio appointment (that i'll keep this time) and see if they have any suggestions?

any help appreciated, and i promise i'll act on the advice this time, rather than carry on regardless when it seems to be better. As John42 said: "it won't go away"

thanks again,

Martin

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 07:10:17 AM »
Hi Marc

You should hotfoot round to see your OS A S A P - don`t mess around any longer - your knee is a very valuable limb.

Please post again after your have seen him.

Best wishes

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Mart

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 03:16:03 PM »
John,

As requested here I am posting after seeing the OS again!

My knee 'went' for about 2 weeks at the start of November. by this i mean i had the intense knife sensation on the inside of the joint again, made infinately worse by any twisting out movement. In the 2 months leading up to it the frequency of my knee hurting increased to 4-5 times a day, and often in different places in the knee. The best way to describe it is to imagine someone shoving a knife in my knee. left side, right side or the back, pretty random which it'd be. but it'd only last a mionute or so, then a quick shake of my leg and i was on my way.

well ofter the recent troubles i got my GP to refer my back to the OS. again went to Tamas Khustos in runcorn.

He seemed a much nicer man this time. basically saying if its getting worse after this long, it needs looking at.

Having already had a MRI he sent me off for an xray.

upon return he looked at it and seemed to suggest there was a slight protrusion (bone???) on the right side of the femur, exactly where i most commonly get the pain. He also suggested that something may be 'floating about' in the joint, and causing the random knife pain. Plus probably carteledge damage (whats a bucket handle?).

in conclusion he said, there's aboviously things wrong, and the best way is to go in for a look.

so at 7am 15th Jan 2009 I'm going for an arthroscopy.

I know its a 'piece of string' question, but any clue on how long it might be before i can go to work afterwards? I'm an electrician, so a fair bit of kneeling and crawling around on loft joists, unless i can go on light duties for a while.

My wife seems to think i'll be ok on crutches to go to the Newton Faulkner concert we have tickets for the day after the op (we are seated for it). Is she mad, or is this feasible?

thanks again for all your help.

sorry if i come accross as an uneducated numpty, thats cos i are it.

Martin

Offline suehaem

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 07:54:44 PM »
Hi Martin,

Glad to see you are finally getting seen to.

As recovery goes it can be a piece of string LOL ;D.  I was off work a month first time round and a longer recover the second time for two weeks off and a quicker recovery.  And also take into account what they might do when they go in.

As for the concert, I personally think you won't be up to it.  It took me at least two days before I felt anywhere near normal after the anaesthetic and stopped talking nonsense LOL  ;D.

Best of luck with op

Sue
 ;D
North Wales
Fall from horse 04/04
Arthroscopy 27/07/07 -Grade III debridement
Re-injured knee running 1/03/08
Arthroscopy 11/10/08 - Grade II debridement
09/03/16 Fracture fib sking damage to knees
31/05/16 Grade 4 Chondromalacia and patella tilt (R)
17/11/16 Need new knee cap (L)knee
Awaiting Arthroscopy 2018

Offline Mart

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2008, 06:03:13 PM »
Thanks Sue,

i'm pretty much agreed that the concert is a no go. but i really need a hand with recovery idea's.

could it be as quick as 2 weeks? or maybe 4? i know its gotta be a ball park, but any idea of worst case and best case scenario would at least give me something to tell work.

cheers,

Martin