Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Anyone with Hypermobility Syndrome had their Sacroilliac joint injected?  (Read 11575 times)

Offline sarahh

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi Everyone I am new here. I was seen in the pain clinic a few months ago because of my worsening back pain and the consultant suggested injecting my Sacroilliac joint with a steroid doing it under sedation. Has anyone had theirs done and if so did it or didn't it help?

Advice much appreciated

Sarah x
Dyspraxia Diagonsed age 5, Hypermobility Sydrome Diagnosed December 1999, Unknown Auto-immune Diease September 2007

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
Re: Anyone with Hypermobility Syndrome had their Sacroilliac joint injected?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 09:19:40 AM »
Hi Sarah,

I've got loose ligaments and have had problems with my lower back and hip in addition to my knee. My sports physician injected my sacroiliac joint, which really helped. It was a bit sore at first but definitely helped.

What else would you like to know ?

Good luck !!!  :D
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 09:52:50 PM »
I have not been diagnosed with hypermobility syndrome but I have had an SI joint injection. It was done by a pain management doc who used a fluoroscope to guide the needle. I chose not to have the sedation. It was uncomfortable but quick. Mostly it was embarrassing as you are positioned on the fluoroscopy table with your hacienda up in the air- kind of a vulnerable feeling. And if that's not bad enough, your hacienda is painted a glorious orange (to clean the area) so it looks like a baboon's bottom. Be prepared to have a good sense of humor or ask for the sedation so you wont' care what's going on.

Oh. Eventually my SI pain cleared up. Not sure if that was a result of the injection or the core exercises or the Tigny home program (http://www.kalindra.com/rounds.pdf) I was doing. Probably a combo.

Good luck to you,
 ;D cat  ;D

"Miserable malalignment"
 Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-  3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07

Offline sarahh

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 12:30:03 AM »
Hi Kjwilkin and Cat thank you so much for your replies, They have helped alot and cat I love your explaination of things it's brilliant. I am having sedation cause I think I am likely to scream or say something I shouldn't lol. Thanks Cat for the link I am definatly gonna take a look at that. Glad to hear that you've both had positive outcomes with it I am definatly gonna have it.

Sarah x
Dyspraxia Diagonsed age 5, Hypermobility Sydrome Diagnosed December 1999, Unknown Auto-immune Diease September 2007

Offline watersci

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 10:41:38 PM »
I had prolotherapy for my SI joint laxity (I'm hypermobile-- it's affected my knees, shoulders, foot, and back).  Prolotherapy helped me. Please do check it out.

-Lisa

Offline LisaWilliams38

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 10:02:05 PM »
I had an injection in both the left and right SI joint, at the same time. I definitely would accept the offer of sedation. I wasn't offered a choice by my pain management doc. He gave me numbing shots at first which were very painful, but luckily the steroid injection wasn't painful. It was hard to walk/bend for a day or so. Overall, the injections helped my pain tremendously. The sciatica went away within days. I still have problems with laxity in the left hip, but I manage it with exercise and occasional trips back to a good PT.
'98 R plica
'99 L resect discoid meniscus
'01 L  meniscus tear
'02 R  meniscus tear
'10, R meniscus tears, Bursectomy
'13, R 3 meniscus tears, Grd 3 Biocartilage fil
'15 R Oct-ACI harvest,
'15 R Dec-ACI implant
'16 R Mar-lysis of adhesions
'16 R Mar-MUA
'18 L 3 menis tears, Grade 4 Biocartilage fill

support