Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: massaging your scar  (Read 2056 times)

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
massaging your scar
« on: November 19, 2007, 12:30:37 PM »
Hi,
I am almost one month post op from surgery and have a scar that is about 6 inches long.  I know that you are supposed to massage the scar, but I'm just wondering when I should start doing this.  I still have steri-strips on part of the scar as I accidently removed some of my steri-stips too soon and the wound opened up.  My knee is still scabbing up and looks as if it still needs some healing.  I always massaged my scope scars when they started to get bumps from scar tissue and were completely closed up.  With this scar it is harder to tell if I have scar tissue because of the lack of feeling around the scar.  Thanks in advance for your input. 
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 12:32:16 PM by casey2291 »
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: massaging your scar
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 01:44:23 PM »
Hello,
someone else may be able to offer more insight but i would imagine to wait until the skin itself is healed so that you dont risk opening any wounds? If you still have scabs then its probably too soon to massage the scar itself but you could gently massage either side of it - being very careful not to disturb any scabbing.
Tanya
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 02:58:40 PM »
That would be my advice too Casey - it's what they have told me each time I've been operated on. After the scabs have fallen off (no picking  ;)) you can start to use whatever products are available in your location to reduce scarring - here in Germany they use something called milk fat ( I think it is what we Brits call Whey) - completely natural and with minimal chance of allergic reaction.

The massage helps to break up the scar tissue under the scar as well mobilise the skin and area around the operation site. There are some people on the site who are actually masseur(-ses) and can tell you more than I can. What kind of operation are we talking about here? If you post this in the Post Op section as a question I'm sure you'll get a much more informed answer, including recommendations of products available where you live maybe.

Sue  :o in Germany
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline lady

• Forum Faithful
  • live well laugh often love much and play hard
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 02:59:06 AM »
Casey, If I remember correctly you had ACI, right? I waited until the scars were "healed" I think a month or two. I massaged with lotion, but now wish I bought vitimin E capsles and maggaged the vitimin E on the scar to help with the apparence of the scars. But my theroy then was what the heck I already have a kazillion scars anyways what the difference. Well there is a differnece especialy if you did have ACI and have a scar on your shin. Definitly massage that one.

How are you doing?
dislocated patella and chopped off most of chondal 1985
chondroplasty/medial meniscus repair 1996
ACI  quater size defect-surgery failure
lateral meniscus repair2002
chondroplasty, lateral Meniscectomy2006
synvisc & orthovisc injections 2008/2009
drained and cortizone injection 2008

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 09:37:33 AM »
Hi everyone,

thanks for your input.  fortunately, I started PT this week and was able to ask my PT about when to begin scar massage.  after looking at my scar, he decided to wait a little longer.  I still have a portion of it that is not all the way healed up.  He may start scar massage today or early next week depending on how it looks. 

lady..thanks for asking how I am doing.  Things kind of vary from day to day.  I'm realizing that I have such a LONG road of recovery ahead of me.  My pain varies.  The day before yesterday I was having really sharp pains in the knee that was preventing me from doing SLR's on my stomach and my one side.  Yesterday, I was able to do them on my stomach wihtout any pain.  I think this recovery is going to require a lot of patience and also prayer that it is a success.  Were you able to get in touch with anyone who had ACI more than 5 years ago?  Is OATS an option for you?  My OS said that he would prefer to do ACI because if the ACI failed then we could do OATS, but something about if we did OATS first that ACI would not be an option (at least that is what I thought he was indicating to me...I may be giving you false info and if I am, sorry). 
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline lady

• Forum Faithful
  • live well laugh often love much and play hard
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 01:51:58 PM »
I was looking into a auto or allo graph last year but after my scope the doc said forget it, He tried to reactivate the sells during the scope becuase I do have some fibro cartlige. He says now its a waiting game for a PK or TK. I am a logical person and understand what he is saying. Junk is Junk. I do have a great tolarance for pain.
I am going to see if I can go to a caraprator or have pt again when I see him in Jan. I am hoping he thinks the carapractor is a good idea as I think they are more apt to be conservative when it comes to surgery which is how I am.

Enough about me. I undestand what your going through. You need to have patients if you've had ACI. You are so limited. I was even more so when I had mine because I think it was so new then. Thats why I'm soooo bummed it didn't work. 10 yrs for nothing. Of course I was stupid and didn't get a second opinion after or before the surgery.

I am thinking postivie for you! And I realy do believe ACI is better now then it was when I had it. They wouldn't keep doing it if it wasn't working. It is so expensive to do if the outcomes were bad more than good insurance companys would never allow patients to have it. Infact I had to fight with mine and I had to sign off on a non FDA approved glue becuase my insurance company would not pay for the FDA approved one becuase it was sooooo much money.

Keep me updated in PM's I'm very interested in your progress.
dislocated patella and chopped off most of chondal 1985
chondroplasty/medial meniscus repair 1996
ACI  quater size defect-surgery failure
lateral meniscus repair2002
chondroplasty, lateral Meniscectomy2006
synvisc & orthovisc injections 2008/2009
drained and cortizone injection 2008