Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: workers' comp --- when is it OK to give up????  (Read 2477 times)

surgtech1956

workers' comp --- when is it OK to give up????
« on: November 18, 2007, 01:00:47 AM »
When is it OK to give up??? I fell on my right knee May 2006 - my surgical tech job was 99.9% standing 8-12 hours a day.  Since May 2006 I've been at various jobs - had a knee scope in January, now on Celebrex.  I have chondromalacia - patella Grade III, have pain in the patella-femoral joint - the Celebrex helps, I am 51 years old.  My OS says not to return to my job of standing - in order to preserve the knee joint as long as possible.  I took a position, just to get me into a position so I can't be bounced around where ever.  The job pays almost $9.00 less an hour - workers comp makes up the difference at about 65% - so I'm losing $$$$$.  I keep checking the job postings for something else.  Part of the job situation is that there are either low paying jobs of nursing jobs - a surgical tech job is kinda of in the middle - the jobs around this $$$ are few and far between.  My comp checks arrive about a week late.   I do have an attorney - in Michigan all worker's comp provides is for wages - doesn't guarantee a job, etc....   I'm very depressed and frustrated.  I see my OS in February.  I'm tempted to say 'to h*** with it' and just go back to a surgical tech job - but don't know if I can stand.  Anyone else out there in this situation???????

Offline caren

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • here we are together
Re: workers' comp --- when is it OK to give up????
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 01:34:33 AM »
Surgtech dont ever give up that is what they want you to do so that they get out of paying

this is the voice of experience speaking to you i know first hand how bad it is along with others here on the board like shark for isntance we have all not had the best restults but hang in there i will be here to get you thru this i promise you that one

i hurt my knee at work and had a scope done last jan it never got better and work put me in a position that required me to care directly for people that i should not have been taking care of needless to say one of them took me out now am scheduled for tkr at 47 so hang in there i know it is tough god knows i know but please for your sake and others too dont give up
pm me if you want to talk more

or you can go to the henhouse here and meet some great women that will help you as well

hugs to you
caren
Caren

Offline DeborahinNC

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 01:50:05 AM »
Hi Surgtech,

I feel your wc pain.  Caren is exactly right - the wc folks just want you to give up and make it as hard as possible on you.  I'm sorry too that your employer does not see you for the value and experience that you bring.  I realize you can't really do the job you were doing before seated but it is a loss that they don't find something that can use your skills.

I'm currently a paramedic and after my last surgery which was a partial replacement I'm very seriously looking for something else.  I currently teach and have been working on getting more of that.  How about teaching for you.  The community colleges in this area don't pay badly and although I'm contract and have no benefits its not too bad.  People with good experience can make great instructors. 

Feel free to vent and vent as loudly as you want but don't give up.  There are plenty of us here that know what you are going through.

Please stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Be well,
Deborah

Offline Landshark70

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 05:05:58 AM »
Surgtech,

Caren and Deborah are giving the best advice anyone can offer. Dont give up because that is exactly what they want.  If you can work at your current job or find something else that is easier then you are better off than depending on BWC. In my state they offer you a work program if you are unable to return to your employment at the time of your injury. The down side to that is that a lot of the jobs they find you would be harder for you than what you originally did. After a short period of time, if you havent found a job you can do or you dont jump through their hoops they cut you out of the program and stop paying you.

Good Luck
 ~shark~

Offline BUSTEDKNEEB

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 09:26:52 AM »
MERRY X MAS. I AM WAS HURT AT WORK AND JUST HAVE A QUICK COMMENT THAT I THINK YOU FIND SADLY HUMOROUS....THIS ATTORNEY I TALKED TO TOLD ME IN OKLAHOMA THAT 100 DISABILITY TO A LEG IS 78600. I THINK THAT IS RIDCULOUS AND SAD. I WOULD NOT TAKE A HALF A MILLION FOR WHAT I'VE BEEN THRU BUT TO THINK IT IS PRESET IN SOME FREAKIN EXCEL SHEET AND QUANTIFIED LIKE THAT IS DISQUSTING...SO ALL I CAN DO IS LAUGH CAUSE IT IS APPARENTLY VERY PREDETERMINED WHETHER YOU GET ROBERT SHAPIRO OR WHOMEVER U BASICALLY GET SCREWED ON THIS DEAL. AND I REALLY LOVE HOW THE EMPLOYER IS COMPLETELY PROTECTED TOO. VERY NICE SYSTEM. YEAH WE NEED TORT REFORE BIG TIME, BUT THIS ISN'T LIKE A BUNCH OF GREEDY PEOPLE TRYING TO GET ONE OVER, BUT LEGITIMATE INJURIES THAT A LOT OF TIME EMPLOYERS COULD HAVE GREATLY LOWERED THE RISK THEREOF OR PREVENTED. SO I AM FRUSTRATED TOO.SO IN LIEU OF THAT, HERE IS A PICK ME UPPER:

QUES: WHAT DO SANTA'S REINDEERS WIVES DO WHEN THEY ARE WORKING ALL NITE DELIVERING THOSE PRESENTS?

ANS: THEY GO INTO TOWN AND BLOW A FEW BUCKS.

GOOD LUCK
BRENT

Offline caren

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • here we are together
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 02:19:59 PM »
Thanks Brent for the smile on the joke good one will remember that one for sure

You are so right about wc issues that is why I no longer have a job and my employer is sitting there thinking that i am scamming htem for a new knee   good grief dont they ever get real?
good luck with your knee issues and let us know how you are doing

hugs to all
caren
Caren

surgtech1956

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 11:57:46 PM »
Employer's must think everyone is a scammer.  This wc is just bullsh*t.  I am currently on partial worker's comp - I'm in a job that pays $6.50 less an hour and wc(carrier) makes up the difference at 65%.  Here I am losing $250 a month and depressed as hell not know what to do.  In Feb I see my OS - if another job doesn't come up before than, I am thinking about just going back to my career as a Surg Tech at another hospital and my health insurance will have to someday pay for my new knee.  Part of this, is that no one knows what you're going through unless they've been through this.  I just talked to my attorney - tell him what's happening, etc.. and that my wc check shows up a week late, he says thats what they do and my employer would like me to quit and go work someplace else.  Have a Happy Holiday and Happy News Years, hopefully we will do better in 2008. All I want for Christmas is a permanent job at the salary I was making before worker's comp.

Offline DeborahinNC

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 06:50:58 PM »
Hi Surgtech,

Glad to hear from you again.  Yes they do want you to quit - its a plan and one they can usually get one way or another.  As I've said on other posts - my wish is that every workers' comp. person (insurance person that is) has an injury and is treated just like they have treated us.  I know from your end that you are getting totally shafted but I'm jealous.  At least you are gettting something out of them - you go!!!!

I hope you get your Chrismas wish.  I do hope you have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New year.

Be well,
Deborah

Offline caren

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • here we are together
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 01:23:26 PM »
Surgtech I totally agree with Deborah they want you to give up and go away so that it makes their jobs easier for htem to do

i am on wc have been since the end of aug and hate to see the chcks come since i have to live on alot less than i was looking at making when i was working and trying to scrape thru on what they are paying

I finally got it approved for tkr thru wc but not w/o a good attorney if you dont have one you might want to think of getting one just to make sure that you dont get screwed more

and like Deborah says you go and get all that you can they think we are all out to screw them but we just want what is right and due to us due to the injury that wea re all living with

they should go thru for one day what we live with on  a daily basis

good luck and hugs to you

caren
Caren

surgtech1956

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 02:00:26 AM »
Needing to vent  :( :(   I see my OS on Feb 7th.  I'm seriously thinking about going back to my job - at another employer. The job that I am in pays about $7.00 less an hour - comp makes up the diff at 65% - I'm barely making ends meet.  I'm not sleeping - because I'm trying to figure out what to do.  What I'm making right now is the same as what I was making 10 years ago.  My employer says to keep checking the job postings for something else i.e. that pays more, but my job is sort of in the middle - the RNs make the most, then theres the technical jobs(a surgerical tech) and then theres the lower paying office jobs - one that I'm in, even though I'm the coordinator of the department.  My attorney says that what will happen is that I will be making less and less - because of  inflation, etc...  I am angry because what has happened, I went to school for what I was doing, I liked what I was doing, now I'm getting screwed.  Thanks for letting me vent.