Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: sailing & hiking with torn ACL  (Read 2570 times)

Offline gellick

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
sailing & hiking with torn ACL
« on: November 16, 2007, 03:42:25 PM »
Hi everyone,

nine months ago i snapped my ACL, tore my medial collateral and damaged the meinicus in my knee as determined by an MRI at the time. I still have not had it repaired. I am able to do up to an hour cross-training, bike, swimming and runs of up to 20min before my knee joint starts to feel a little tender. I am missing sailing very much and was wondering if any members out there have:
1) crewed a hiking dingy at a very competitive level &
2) trekked the Inca Trail with a snapped ACL??
 ???
Thanks for yoru help

Offline MelH

• Regular Poster
Re: sailing & hiking with torn ACL
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 06:25:58 PM »
I've been living with an ACL deficent knee for 2 and half years.  I had it reconstructed a month ago.

I was original advised not have a reconstruction (it was a partial tear original, but all had gone by the op a month ago).  I was only able to hill walk comfortably once I'd considerally strengthen the muscles.  Alhtough it never gave way it flet "wobbly" walking down hill. My second opinion OS suggested not walking on rough ground with an ACL deficent knee.

Once the knee was strong again I've been able to dinghy sail (nothing competive) and I actually took up windsurfing this year. 

Offline gellick

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 12:01:46 PM »
MelH,

Thanks for your post - did you wear a brace when sailing/walking?

Offline MelH

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 01:44:21 PM »
I haven't worn a brace at all.

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 02:08:22 PM »
Hi gellick ~ I've been w/o an ACL since Spring of '05 & was given a scrip for a custom brace because at my age, the ACL won't be reconstructed. Only when other aspects of the injury warrant it will I wear a brace & then I most often choose to wear a neoprene sleeve with hinges. But if I'm going hiking in the woods where I'll be doing a good deal of climbing over trappy ground, I do don the good Townsend brace just to lessen the chances of doing further damage. I don't sail but I do have a horse & all the knee damage hasn't interfered thus far with my being able to ride. Wishing you well...Ellie 
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.