Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patellar tendon debridement - at 3 weeks postop  (Read 9578 times)

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
Re: Coming Along....Slowly
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2003, 02:23:22 AM »
Pain control is an amazing thing, isn't it?  It sure improves your outlook on life.  I'm not sure why your doctor is so eeky about painkillers--Dr. S said I should prepare for severe pain for up to 10 weeks post-op.  Also, Tramadol isn't a narcotic--it's not a controlled substance, it's a completely manufactured drug that is in a class by itself.  It doesn't do anything to me in terms of making me woozy or silly, but it also doesn't work terribly well, either.  I take it in the morning and it works for a while.  After that, I have to retire to the recliner with my TENS unit because nothing helps.  

You said you haven't had really bad pain in the last few years, so I'm really hoping that you'll recover quickly from this and get much better soon!

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2003, 06:50:53 PM »
I know Tramadol isn't a narcotic. He didn't want to prescribe any more narcotics for me, and I was taking Celebrex so I couldn't take anything over the counter except Tylenol....which didn't do anything. After several non-medication suggestions (which didn't help), he told me to stop taking the Celebrex and prescribed the Tramadol. It will be interesting to see what happens to my "good" knee after a few days. Last time I tried to stop the Celebrex, I was begging to go back on it after about 10 days because my good knee hurt so much!

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline lam651

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Someday
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2003, 02:54:24 AM »
I know what you mean about trying to survive without your celebrex. I was taking indocin before my march surgery. When I stopped for the surgery,they wouldn't let me start taking it again because they said it retards bone growth. Now after suffering without indocin all this time they say I have no bone growth anyway.

I'm sure I'm looking at many more months before I can take any nsaids again. If it wasn't for the side efects I'd consider drinking heavily.( kidding)

I hope your doctor can give you the right combination of pain meds, anti inflammitories or whatever so you can be comfortable. Take care, Larry :)
arthoscopy('99),HTO(tibia didn't heal 10/01),knee braces(7/02),HTO w/ex.fix. to repair tibial non-union(3/03), remove ex. fix.(9/03),HTO other leg(12/03)

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2003, 03:06:16 AM »
Hi!

You know I was just thinking the same thing about my vioxx--if I had it back--but I can't because of the coumadin--I think some of the body aches I have would break down some--I'll bet the hip and back and sjhoulders would let up some.

I think I need to push this a bit and find out what is the deal with the coumadin...I need a break and this may be my way to get it.

Thanks for turning on my brain a bit in this muddle I've been in :)  Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
Re: Patellar tendon debridement - at 3 weeks posto
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2003, 01:55:54 AM »
Janet,

Do you have any gastro issues?  I'm curious why your doctor would make you go off the Celebrex in order to take the Tramadol.  I took both on an almost daily basis, though recently stopped the Tramadol because it simply wasn't working and my pain was getting out of control.  

I know what you mean about not being able to take anything over the counter with the Celebrex.  Once a month, I go off Celebrex so I can take Advil for cramps--Celebrex does NOTHING for headaches, cramps, sore muscles, etc.  I'm not supposed to take anything with the Celebrex, but my doc said I could stop the Cel. and take Advil (only 2 tablets 3x/day) once a month if necessary.  By the end of that 5 days, my knees are SCREAMING for their Celebrex again.

Could a pain management physician be helpful here?  I now you had a bad experience with one, but mine has been a life-saver.  After all, every paper on arthrofibrosis stresses how critical pain control is post-op so that the patient stays active, does PT, and doesn't suffer from stiffness/lack of activity--and just plain doesn't suffer.  OS's are soo eeky about narcotics, but frankly, there are a lot of other drugs they push (Vioxx, Celebrex, Toradol, Mobic) that are more directly linked to severe medical reactions than the narcotics.  My PM doctor would rather I take more pain meds (2 tablets more a day, approx. 10mg) and go to Celebrex only 1 time per day--I had been taking it twice, and she said I'm going to kill my liver or stomach with that.  Her words:  The painkillers are more benign to the body, especially when monitored by a doctor trained in pain management and as long as the patient scales back to go off them in a controlled and monitored way.  If I do have another surgery in the fall, I'll have to taper off of everything over a 3-4 week period....not looking forward to it.  Of course, by that point surgery will probably look pretty good, eh?

I find it interesting, for example, that a lot of OS's love to prescribe Vicodin/Lortab.  But this is something you are ABSOLUTELY not to take on a regular basis, because of the level of tylenol in it (625mg/tablet).  It's been linked to all sorts of issues, includng hearing loss and general malaise.  My pain management doctor was appalled that my OS had me on this for 5 months.....what's really ironic was that the vicodin wasn't working at all!

Every doctor is different.  Wouldn't it be great if they could all get together and come up with a unified approach?

Anyway, sorry to babble on.  I hope your pain is under control and you are able to keep up with your exercises.  I find pain is the one limiting factor for me, whereas it used to be that my knee just didn't move right.  Take care and keep us posted.

Heather
« Last Edit: August 04, 2003, 02:22:37 AM by hmaxwell »
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2003, 02:32:51 AM »
Medication issues are as confusing as knee i ssues! The Tramadol seems to be working for me. It doesn't completely negate the pain, but it does make it tolerable....and I'm used to tolerable pain. I don't quite know what I'll do someday if I have no knee pain! I also find icing still helps, although I don't have much noticeable swelling. But I sometimes still get the catching and have a snapping feeling behind my knee sometimes which I am told is from swelling. Heather, I don't know why he wanted me to go off the Celebrex to take the Tramadol. I see him again next Tuesday, so I'll know by then if being off the Celebrex is a problem. I am hoping I don't need to go back on it, ever. It's interesting that I didn't have to stop taking it before my surgery. That was a welcome surprise!

Thanks for the suggestion of a pain management doctor. I'm hoping that the pain resolves as I continue to rehab. Right now, my quads are still weak, I don't have much shock absorption. We'll have to see what the future brings. I can fire the quad when lying down, but it still doesn't do much when I'm weightbearing. We're working hard on this, but after it not working for 4 years, it's not going to come back overnight.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2003, 07:39:15 PM »
I had my 7 week check-up today. As I expected, the news wasn't real good. The quad is still so weak, it is not really working. The OS wants me to increase my PT to 5 days a week. We're doing all the right things in PT, he just thinks I need to go more often. When he held above my patella and I tried to bend my knee, my patella was subluxing and I could hardly bend it at all. He says my knee is being so irritated because the quads are so weak, that's why it always hurts. This is all the same stuff as before the surgery, so I'm very frustrated!! I was really hoping that I would see a difference by now. My PT isn't so sure about doing the 5 days a week thing because he thinks I really need to rest a day in between sessions. But we'll try it for a couple of weeks and see how it goes. I have a feeling it's going to make my knee really, really sore....plus now I'll have to go to work on therapy days (which I haven't been) so my knee will be even more aggravated.  I also worry about running out of PT visits, as I only get 60 a year. I guess now's the time to find an attorney and go after Workers Comp.

Just once I want to go to a doctor's appointment and have him say I'm doing really well and they can see the progress!!!

Janet

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2003, 08:12:30 PM »
{{{{{{Janet}}}}}}

Hi there--

You were going great guns--so sorry that you are having a setback.  I hope the increased pt will get you strong and will do the trick for you.

I'm keeping you inmy thoughts and prayers...:)  Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio