Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patellar tendon debridement - at 3 weeks postop  (Read 9576 times)

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
Patellar tendon debridement - at 3 weeks postop
« on: July 17, 2003, 02:31:33 AM »
Three weeks ago I had a "huge ball" of scar tissue removed in the area of the patella tendon, plus he smoothed out the back of the patella (again). This is the third time I've had scar tissue removed, so we are following a different rehab protocol (and I'm with a more specialized OS....my third). Things are coming along, but more slowly than I had anticipated. Before surgery, I was told I would be on crutches 2-3 weeks, and back to work then, too. But I am starting my 4th week and I am only 50% weightbearing. And I had to put off going back to work until next week. I have a desk job, but sitting for long spells still bothers my knee, and I still get some swelling, even with it wrapped. In fact, I feel like the top of my foot is half-asleep. The good thing is that I am allowed to do full weightbearing around the house. I don't do it very well, and my gait is horrible (but it was before the surgery, too), but it's SOOOO nice to have my hands free! And my sore wrist and shoulder really appreciate a break from the crutches, too. All in all, I'm doing pretty well. I was told 6-8 months before we will know if the scar tissue comes back and if this was successful. But I think I'm off to a pretty decent start.

Janet
« Last Edit: August 03, 2003, 10:52:05 AM by admin »
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline tazmanian_devil

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • I guess you can't teach an old quad new tricks
Re: Coming Along....Slowly
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2003, 03:49:34 AM »
I have been wondering how you were doing, sounds like everything is coming along great and you will be much better in a few months. When do you start therapy? Can you do SLR's? Theresa
L ACL Recon. L lat. meniscus tear 1991, R Dislocated 1996, R ACL partial tear, MCL tear 08/01, R Chondroplasty 2/14/02, R Lateral Release-Medial Reefing-Chondroplasty 12/3/02.

Offline Jennie

• Forum Faithful
  • LoveBug
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2003, 05:01:28 AM »
Hi Janet

Sounds like things are going pretty good for you :D

Good luck on your continued recovery and pt

Jennie
21 yrs. old..Right knee injury. Ligament Recon 6-21-01, 2 LR's 3/02 & 9/02
TTT 11/08/02, patella and ligament recon 5/03
Recently dx with OA, Having hardware removed and knee scoped on 6/24/04

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2003, 10:36:44 PM »
Theresa:

I started PT the two days after my surgery. Yes, I have been able to do a SLR right along. Part of my problem is that my quads in my left leg have never regained even close to full strength in the last four years (since my original injury), but at least they haven't shut down again! Just this week we have added some harder exercises (4" step-ups, single leg on the total gym) now that I am allowed some full weightbearing. It will be interesting next week as my PT facility moves to a brand new place. They are all really excited, and I hear the parking is much better (which is a good thing, because it is a LONG way from the parking lot to their present facility when you are on crutches!!).

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2003, 07:10:25 AM »
Another update. At my PT facility, patients are assigned to a "team" of therapists. There are three on my team. I have one "main" PT, and the other two also work with me. Well, Friday, I worked with Kevin, who I hadn't worked with before. He disagreed with Pat (who I usually work with) and told me to use my crutches (50% weightbearing) at home. Actually, I feel much more comfortable with this, but am somewhat confused. A week ago, the PA said I could progress with my weightbearing slowly (I was at 10% then). Pat said to use 50% weightbearing when out of the house, but full weightbearing when at home. I questioned this, but he said it was fine. But when I do full weightbearing, I go back to all the old habits I want to get rid of. Basically, my knee hurts, then I don't want to bend it, then I swing my hip....and I'm afraid the scar tissue will just come back. Kevin agreed with me. It will be interesting to see what Pat says when I go back next time.

Janet
« Last Edit: July 20, 2003, 07:11:16 AM by Janet »

Offline lam651

• Forum Faithful
  • Someday
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2003, 07:05:28 PM »
Its frustrating when people in the medical profession disagree about what is the correct way to go. I like to think that for certain situations there are tried and true ways to go that are best.

I would agree with you that until your legs are strong enough to carry you the they should, without compensating for pain, by swinging your hips etc. Then you should still be using your crutches.

I know the nurse at my doctors office thinks I should be off of crutches by now. I don't know what the doctor's opinion is. I'm going to ask some questions on thurs.

But either way a person is either ready to be off cruthes or they aren't. Thats the way it is. Good luck and lets hope they have some convincing and unanimous instructions for you when you go again. Take care, Larry
arthoscopy('99),HTO(tibia didn't heal 10/01),knee braces(7/02),HTO w/ex.fix. to repair tibial non-union(3/03), remove ex. fix.(9/03),HTO other leg(12/03)

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2003, 08:21:25 PM »
{{{{{Janet}}}}}

It truly is a one day at a time process, isn't it?  You got off to such an awesome start that it was probably inevitable for the pace to be reduced.

I think the best thing would be if a limo would come and pick us both up together and for us to spend a day being driven in luxury to have a lot of attention--massage, spa, manicure, a few drinks and a good time.  An escape from our realities would have some appeal and might put knees into perspective where they belong.

In any case, keep following those doctor's orders--that doc shgould be proud of your honorable and faithful behavior. I feel certain that you will be making these substantial gains again--until you have gotten to your knee goal.

Please know that we are here for you--feel free to im me or email me if you want to talk or get it off your back.  Hang in there :D  Sylvia

Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline Lizzie - UK

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Fibromyalgia diagnosed Dec 2003 - OA in both knees
    • E30 Zone
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2003, 02:56:35 AM »
 {{{{{Janet}}}}}

I think that you need to do what you feel is best.  If you find that you are in a lot of pain and that by using the crutches alleviates this, then do what you think will help you.  

It is annoying when you have different advice, you feel like you don't know who you should be listening to - simple, listen to yourself.

Take things easy honey and allow your body to recover at your own temp.

Take care
Lots of love
Lizzie xxx
Past History of L&R Knee
Bilateral OA
Medial Meniscal Tears
Lateral Releases & Medial Reefings
Ruptured LCL, MCL & PCL
Adhesions in the interconylar notch of ACL removed
Suprapatella plication
Debridements/Lavages
Deep chondral fissure in crest of patella
Awaiting MRI - LK
TKR - RK

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2003, 09:46:57 PM »
Another update.... At therapy today, my regular PT agreed that I shouldn't be ful weightbearing when my knee hurts. So I will "hobble" around some at home like I have been (in the kitchen, getting dressed in the morning, etc.), but use the crutches the rest of the time. Meanwhile, I need to keep reminding myself to put more weight down when I am using my crutches, since I tend to depend on the crutches too much and I do want to get off them eventually! Also, today was the first day I tried the leg press....all of 20 pounds!! I couldn't believe how hard that was. I know I was weak before the surgery, but I could do 65 pounds then. I can't believe I've lost that much again. And doing the 20 pounds was hard!!! Kinda discouraging, but then again, I couldn't have done 20 last week. So I keep doing what I can and try not to be too impatient!

Janet

Offline Lizzie - UK

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Fibromyalgia diagnosed Dec 2003 - OA in both knees
    • E30 Zone
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2003, 02:05:58 AM »
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Janet}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

You are doing extemely well, don't try to put added pressure on yourself.  Your recovery time is all down to you, but there is no race.  Just know that everyday you are getting better.  You know what you need to do and you are doing it.

Soon you will be looking back at this thread remembering how you couldn't do things and now you will be able to do everything that you did before your surgery and much more.

Keep up the amazing work that you are doing in your rehabilitation.

Just to add some health and positive vibes your way as you are recovering.

Much love to you Janet
Hugs, kisses and anything else you need.
Lizzie xxx  :-* :-* :-*
Past History of L&R Knee
Bilateral OA
Medial Meniscal Tears
Lateral Releases & Medial Reefings
Ruptured LCL, MCL & PCL
Adhesions in the interconylar notch of ACL removed
Suprapatella plication
Debridements/Lavages
Deep chondral fissure in crest of patella
Awaiting MRI - LK
TKR - RK

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2003, 08:02:43 PM »
I haven't been online for a few days, and just wanted to give a quick update. In some ways, I feel I am getting a little stronger, which is good. But the pain is still surprisingly high. And I haven't been doing very well in trying to get back to work. I went in two days last week. I worked about 2 hours, then went to lunch and put my knee up for an hour and iced, then worked another two hours. I was nearly in tears by the time I left. I don't understand why it hurts so much to sit at my desk. I can sit with my legs hanging over the edge of a table (just dangling) with no pain at all. But as soon as I put my feet on the floor, my knee gets so painful. I have three goals: to walk with a normal gait and normal pace with no pain, to be able to go up and down stairs, and to sit comfortably with my knee bent . My PT says we can do the first two, but doesn't know about the sitting. That was discouraging! But time will tell. I am not using the crutches at all at home now, but still need them when I go out.

Janet

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2003, 10:07:55 PM »
{{{{{{Janet}}}}}}

You and I are running in parallel planes now--although you got off to a better start than I did.

It is so hard to tell how much is enough or too much and why some things are lousy and others are not...Obviously since your pt's and doc couldn't quite get it together on the topic either.

I went with my family to my hubby's work picnic yesterday--I knew it wasn't the greatest of all activities for me, but I also know that if i hadn't went, I don't think asnybody would have went.  I did my best to keep up with my exercises and routines--extending my leg and resting it on a picnic table bench with pillows for support.  Even so, I was in awful shape by the time it was time to leave and I stayed in a high level of anxiuety and pain that never calmed down until sometime after 4 this morning.

I wish I could help with your question, give you an answer of some kind and some value.  Hang in there--not many other choices anyway.  Good luck, Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline Marriah

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • I Love Le-Lu!
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2003, 12:21:19 AM »
janet, i dont know what advice to offer, but just wanted to send some hugs your way!  *(((Janet)))*

love, marriah
May 02 nondisplaced spiral fracture, rt leg, below knee,incompetant dr.,now I have a piece of bone sticking up at the top of tibia, scope Nov 02...July 10, 03 had osteotomy,a plate,6 screws,ACL recon

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2003, 11:56:46 PM »
Well, I must say I finally feel like I'm making some headway. I am off the crutches and using a cane. My gait is slowly improving. My OS really responded to my call about needing more pain medication. He gave me some suggestions without narcotics, and then called the next day to see how I was. Nothing had worked, so he prescribed Tramadol. It really helps....although it makes me fuzzy. But I think having less pain has really helped me progress. I still have some concerns about my ROM, and I'll ask more about that at my next PT visit. And work is still really difficult, but it's good to know that Tramadol is waiting for me when I get home! But I am definitely feeling more positive today!

Janet

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2003, 01:10:24 AM »
HOORAY!!!!   Janet--

Progress of any kind is great and getting past the crutches is a big step in the right direction.  Good for you.

Keep it up--and maybe some of it will rub off here--tee hee.

Take care, Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio