Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Donjoy brace  (Read 2957 times)

Offline Lizzie - UK

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Fibromyalgia diagnosed Dec 2003 - OA in both knees
    • E30 Zone
Donjoy brace
« on: July 17, 2003, 02:02:21 AM »
I've recently acquired a Donjoy 4titude brace and I must say that is excellent.  It is really well made and the producers of this brace have thought about how it is made, right down to the suede linings that go over the metal work.  It is really comfortable and I can highly recommend it.

I am using it for collateral damage, as well as OA.

The best thing about it, is that it didn't cost me a penny.  I got in on the NHS!!  Makes a change! ;D ;)

Regards
Lizzie xxx
Past History of L&R Knee
Bilateral OA
Medial Meniscal Tears
Lateral Releases & Medial Reefings
Ruptured LCL, MCL & PCL
Adhesions in the interconylar notch of ACL removed
Suprapatella plication
Debridements/Lavages
Deep chondral fissure in crest of patella
Awaiting MRI - LK
TKR - RK

Offline icyfx

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Okay, which one of you stole my vicodin??
Re: Donjoy brace
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2003, 09:28:23 AM »
Donjoy, the best knee brace I have ever had. I have 4 of them, I only have 2 legs but who cares, I didn't buy them!!  ;D
There are 2 things in this world that hold true.
1) My knee hurts. 2) refer to #1.

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2003, 10:58:10 PM »
Unfortunatly I have had nothing but bad experiances with Donjoy braces.  They are the least "derotational" of any brace out there.  I don't like the fact that on the Defiance the tibial shell is behind the tibia.  It compresses the soft tissue too much and can lead to other problems.  I have stopped using them for my athletes and prefer townsend braces.  
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline alexandra

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 12:01:22 PM »
Lizzie,
  Thanks for the info,  My partner Alex is having an ORIF for a fractured patella tomorrow and we are strongly in favour of getting a brace rather than plaster afterwards.  All we've heard about is plaster.  Is there a trick to getting a brace on the NHS, as they seem pretty cost sensitive and plaster although it seems unanimously regarded as inferior on the forum has to be cheaper.
  Any info would be welcome,  we are at Poole in Dorset.  Thanks for the info and very best wishes for a full recovery,
   Andrew.

Offline jillycats

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 12:19:35 PM »
Hi All

I've had a variety of braces on the NHS. It does seem to depend a bit on the orthotist what they will let you have! I was told that I couldn't have a custom made one as they are too expensive. I've had a post op brace (not sure what make it was) but it was foam padding around the top and bottom of the leg with hinged struts down the side. The hinges could be locked and gradually loosened as mobility increased. I was given this instead of plaster after a couple of my ops (MCL repairs and PCL). This was done by the OS and I didn't see an orthotist for this one. Now I wear a brace all the time for stability. I've had all sorts but at present am using a Townsend rebel. I was given a brace very similar to the donjoy one (cheaper version I think) but they don't make one designed for women, according to the orthotist, and it really didn't fit well and rubbed badly. Hence going back to the Townsend. It does still rub, particularly after a long day at work, but is the best I've managed to get on the NHS. I did look into getting one privately but having looked at costs I found that I would probably have to pay around 1000 for fittings and a decent brace!

Jilly
Oct 00 - judo injury - broke tibia, dislocated knee, damaged all ligaments, nerve injury. Initial LCL and MCL recon. July 01 - arthroscopy and removal of hardware. April 02 - further LCL repair July 02 - PCL recon Oct 05 - removal of hardware, removal of excess bone growth, double arthroscopy.